MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

First track day, what kind of tires

OK. I did a search and did not find a single match. I am about to have my first track day and want to know what tires I should have. I have been told that the Pirelli Rossa tire (which as I am sure most know is a dual compound tire) that I have on the back is fine and that I should probably match it on the front for track day, but I have a tendency to get myself in trouble at times (breaking before a turn too hard) and hear my back tire squawking (my suspension setup is stock, for a hundred and fifty pound rider, I am 200, don't know if that has anything to do with it)(also, the bike dives when I hit the front brake)(yes i know that I am a total noob). Will the classes for novices help take care of my poor riding (assuming I learn from them) skills and make it unnecessary for stickier tires for a while, or do I need something with a little more traction so I don't have to feel my bike sliding all over the place?
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Day Tires rz500guy Taking it to the Track 16 05-22-2014 05:30 PM
Tires after a track day, Then Street cbrwayne General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 06-21-2011 07:29 AM
Tires/ first track day Ariel66 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 8 09-18-2010 05:20 PM
need tires for track day blends Taking it to the Track 29 07-25-2008 09:23 PM
Tires before track day CBR600RR Taking it to the Track 4 05-17-2005 12:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

sticky tires are always better but for your first tdma i wouldnt sweat it too much. just make sure the tires you have on are in good shape. relax and enjoy your new hobby. this stuff is more addicting than heroin.
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

also make sure your pressure are set for track not strret. most street rubber should be at 30psi frt and rr.
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
also make sure your pressure are set for track not strret. most street rubber should be at 30psi frt and rr.
Thanks for the advice
Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
markn8442

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

don't worry about it

pirellis or bridgestones from John Hutchinson at South Central Race Center.
he has the best customer service out there as well as the best tires.
and he has gobs of knowledge to help you optomize their use.
LSTD for the rest.....
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimes View Post
OK. I did a search and did not find a single match. I am about to have my first track day and want to know what tires I should have. I have been told that the Pirelli Rossa tire (which as I am sure most know is a dual compound tire) that I have on the back is fine and that I should probably match it on the front for track day, but I have a tendency to get myself in trouble at times (breaking before a turn too hard) and hear my back tire squawking (my suspension setup is stock, for a hundred and fifty pound rider, I am 200, don't know if that has anything to do with it)(also, the bike dives when I hit the front brake)(yes i know that I am a total noob). Will the classes for novices help take care of my poor riding (assuming I learn from them) skills and make it unnecessary for stickier tires for a while, or do I need something with a little more traction so I don't have to feel my bike sliding all over the place?

Do yourself a big favor and pay someone the 25-30bucks and have your suspension setup for your weight as best they can with stock internals. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache and drama by not having to focus as much on the inadequate suspension characteristics.

Make sure your tires have good tread life still (and aren't 10yrs old) and relax, have fun, and don't try to be fast on the first day. Take it home still shiny after the first trackday with a smile on your face and a soon to be depleting bank account.
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Steptoe View Post
Do yourself a big favor and pay someone the 25-30bucks and have your suspension setup for your weight as best they can with stock internals. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache and drama by not having to focus as much on the inadequate suspension characteristics.

Make sure your tires have good tread life still (and aren't 10yrs old) and relax, have fun, and don't try to be fast on the first day. Take it home still shiny after the first trackday with a smile on your face and a soon to be depleting bank account.
+1

+1

+1

+1

Good advice, Derek.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

+1 to everyone get a suspension setup and make sure the tires you have are in good condish
Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

+1 to all the above posts.

Call Patrick @ Motorcycles Unlimited (go to Forum Home then scroll to site sponsor).
For around $25 those guys have set up the suspension of many people on here and gotten rave reviews of the difference it made.

You didn't say what kind of front tire you have now but if it is sporting in nature at all it will be fine for your first few TD's.
Get your gear, leave your ego at home and go do it.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

+1 ^^^^^ on setting up your suspension. if u choose ridesmart for ur trackday, then get a hold of roger albert. he sets up ur suspension there at the track for 30 somethin bucks. it only takes 15-20 min. his company is called "onroad offroad cycles". i had my suspension set up for my weight and street ridin when i got the bike, but when i started picking up speed on the track that wasn't enough. roger set up my (stock) suspension for the track and the difference was night and day. ridin at a faster pace felt more smooth, when i was braking super hard into a turn it was smoother, the bike felt steady, and most importantly, through a turn my bike felt like it was keeping a "tucked" feeling. so far on the track there's been nothing scarier than being in a full lean around a corner draggin knee and feelin ur front suspension tryin to give out and tuck ur front tire out. it's been my biggest pucker moment since i've been on the track.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Patrick (or Brandon) at Motorcycles Unlimited is great for setting up the suspension, also Pirelli Corsa tirea are good, but the Bridgestones BT016 is also a very good tire and not too expensive, the BT002 and 003 are much better but prolly way more tire than U need, I run the 016,s on my gixxer 1K and they do just fine, but I am not the fastest guy either, good luck and have fun
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Get your suspension set up, it will ride like an entirely different bike.

I suggest the Bridgestone Battlax BT002 Ride Smart for street/trackdays
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

don't worry about the brand of tires you are using for your first track day, just make sure they are in good shape.

and like everyone else said, get your suspension setup it makes a night and day difference.
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Address the suspension, soon...as in before the trackday. It sounds like it is WAY out of wack. Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited does everything for me, and he is local (Houston). I'd have to know what front tire you have to assess that situation, but the Rosso on the rear will do great for your first couple of track ventures. Pressures are important, come see me at the trackday and I'll advise from there.

Rear tire squeeling?? stop using the rear brake, get the bike setup and have some fun.

John
SCRC John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Forget you have a rear brake it is only for when you go offroading.

GO SEE JON AT SCRC OR PATRICK AT Motorcycles Unlimited. can't say it any different.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
pick up a set of bridgestone 002 Ride Smart. works very well even at decent speeds.
+1

Also to all the comments about getting the suspension set up FIRST.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
Grimace

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I wanted to respond further to the posts but just got up and have to go to work. Really looking forward to getting the suspension changed. By the way the front tire is the stock Dunlop tire that the bike came with. I believe that it is a sport touring tire.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Forget you have a rear brake it is only for when you go offroading.

GO SEE JON AT SCRC OR PATRICK AT Motorcycles Unlimited. can't say it any different.
+1......and I'm a BIG fan of the BT-016. Just my .02, they work great at the track AND good mileage on the street if you do a little of both.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #19
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
The tires you have are fine for a first track day. There are plenty of people even in the intermediate group still on street rubber. Just make sure that there's significant treadlife left.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
Solo
Killer Bee Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600 (track)
00 sv 650 (street)

+1 to the suspension the guys name at the track is Roger for onroad / offroad cycles. he did mine and the differance was like nite and day. I you have time go to Motorcycles Unlimited cuz you'll have to be there so the can measure with you on and off the bike. If you dont have time do it at the track camp out and get it done on site. Make sure your tires are in good condition and have proper TRACK air pressure. 30 for front and back should be good. take your time out there and learn. have fun. bring your bike home in one piece. meaning dont go over your head trying to show off and be better than everyone else. dont worry bout draggin knee too. you follow the instuctors and it will happen without you even trying.

Advertisement