MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
marioc89

Feedback Rating: (0)

Suzuki Katana's Reputation

I'm looking into getting a Suzuki Katana 600. Are those any good? It'll run, according to the person, but if anybody knows these bikes; where the oil cap is there's a crack where one of the bolts screw in at and she was told by her ex which someone told him that it has to be welded right. Given all that, and the fact that she doesn't have the titles becuz she owes but she's going to get a loan to settle to get the titles, how much would anyone pay for it being a 2005 model? I can't tell how many miles are on it becuz it's digital. It hasn't been started since '05, it has a crack behind the oil cap and it doesn't have a title...yet. So there, tell me what you guys think. And again, I'm so glad to be amongst expert riders.
marioc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuki Katana 750 -2005 grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-31-2011 02:50 AM
Suzuki Katana 750- No electrical power help PAA General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 03-19-2009 01:07 PM
Motorcycles Unlimited still living up to their great reputation chrisd Motorcycles Unlimited 1 12-30-2008 10:03 PM
suzuki katana dislikes....... DanteLee General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-19-2008 08:13 AM
Suzuki Katana coastal imports General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 10-10-2005 07:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
ninjathatcould
UHD BPOC 241

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 EX250
(Totaled 08 XB12R)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to ninjathatcould
No no no. Sounds like a bad idea. katana is not a bad bike, but I would not pay cash for anything that doesnt have a title and needs to be "welded", as that could indicate it has been crashed and have other issues.

Hasn't been started since 05 means it will need some work, possibly major work, to get it to safe operating conditions.

ninjathatcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

i wouldn't buy a brand new working katana...let alone this basket case
Old 06-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
specifically, if its just the cover, its not too bad, minus the gasket and cover.

Check ebay for pricing per mileage, region and year.

btw, can-a-tunas are known for not cornering, nor being a reputable bike in the sportbike world. That said, www.katriders.com and on BT021's:

W a steal frame and forgiving suspension, engine and transmission it is a great bike to learn on and for street purposes is more then most riders need but will never admit.

Walmart battery: $70 bux, 2 yr warranty. Get an owners manual, pull off the carbs and clean, drain the gas and refill. Check out Patrick's Motorcycle's Unlimited maintenance class and the bike will be near bulletproof. As for the title, get the customer to provide the info for her loan, including the pay off. Fill out a bill of sale w a witness and get the price for payout if she's using your money with hers to finish the transaction w the loan.

Regardless of year, 2500-3k is all its likely worth.

Last edited by CaligoneTx; 06-28-2009 at 02:55 AM.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
Soup
Smells like lavender..

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Dirty6

I wouldn't mess with it... specially since there's not even a title on hand. She might be giving you a good price, but after all the work that you'll put into it, it might be about the same to just buy one in good working conditions.
I learned that lesson the hard way.
Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

As far as sportbikes go, the Katana has to be the greatest disappointment. It is stone reliable bike though. You cant hardly give them away when it comes time to sell or trade.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
zeus

Bike(s):
1999 ZX6R

You might want to have somebody reputable check out the crack, it doesn't have to be a deal breaker but make sure there isn't any other hidden damage and that when you fix the bike it stays fixed. As for the title, since she's taking out a loan so she can pay it off and get the title I'd wait and make sure the title is free and clear when you get it.
As for Katana's, there are a few ways to look at them. They aren't "state of the art" sportbikes, they aren't the most powerfull bikes, nor are they "glamorous" bikes in sportbike crowds. However, they are inexpensive, plenty competent if the rider is, very comfortable for longer rides, have plenty of power for most riders and bulletproof. IMHO, not a bad combination of traits if your not worried about your image.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
jgixer

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

99 zx9

naw, bad decision, air cooled engine heavy and you will be the of all joke
jgixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

haha, yeah, it's fun to make jokes about people with air cooled bikes!

nothing wrong w/ katanas, but like has been said before, make sure you know what you want out of the bike. if you want a bike that's cheap, reliable for long-term, and comfortable, katana sounds like a decent way to go. if you want to go pose at starbucks, i wouldn't suggest a katana.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
FieroReinke

Bike(s):
Suzuki Katana

The Katana is a great bike for what it was designed to be. It is a sport touring bike not a supersport that is meant for the track. It is cheap, reliable, comfortable and more than competent on the streets. If you are more interested in what others think of you then stay away from the Katana. If you are new to bikes, then the katana is great for you. It is very forgiving and easy (cheap) to work on. Once you have mastered the katana in the corners then you will be more than ready to move up to super sport if that is what you are interested in.

As for the cracked cover. If it is just the cover that is cracked then I would get a new one and not worry about it. The Kats have a steel frame that is very strong, and heavy. For any kind of accident to cause frame damage there would be more than just a cracked crankcase cover. Normally what happens is people over tighten the bolts and crack the covers. Once she has the title in hand I would take the bike to a competent bike shop and have them check it out.

Depending on mileage and the condition of the rest of the bike I would think $2500 would be a good starting point on price. Katriders.com is a good resource on the Katanas. Check them out for a better price check once you know more about the bike.
FieroReinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
marioc89

She and I was thinking around $600-$800 given what I have to do to it to get it going after getting the title. What do you think about that?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
marioc89

She also told me that they depreciate fast so considering its an '05 then the value of it is low.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
marioc89

Is a 600 the biggest Suzuki make its bikes? What is the most powerful Suzuki?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioc89 View Post
Is a 600 the biggest Suzuki make its bikes? What is the most powerful Suzuki?
No. Are you asking about the Katana? Or every bike Suzuki makes? I think there is a 750 Katana... but I'm not positive. However, Suzuki has plenty of "bigger" bikes. Gsxr, Hayabusa, and a number of cruisers. If you're new to riding, the Kat is a good place to start.

I like my 600 Katana, but I don't ride it to impress anyone. It is comfortable, and built like a tank. Both times it has been hit, the repairs where quick and inexpensive. The bike was road ready way before I was. My biggest complaint... it is heavy.
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

its a detuned gixxer.
get a gixxer or zx. those are the bestest
craigntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
craigntx
team ftp

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme2move View Post
My biggest complaint... it is heavy.
that's b/c they dont put the lighter, alloy parts on the CANTRUNYAthat they put on gixxers
Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #17
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
its a detuned gixxer.
get a gixxer or zx. those are the bestest
Hubby has a GSXR 1000. I like my tuna-can. It has plenty of power for me, and it is more comfy than the gixxer for longer rides. Now, can I keep up with the gixxer... no. But I ride my own ride and am not out to keep up with anyone. Besides, hubby will wait for me . It just depends on what your looking for in a bike. At least it's not a Kawasuki! j/k
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Quote:
Hubby has a GSXR 1000. I like my tuna-can. It has plenty of power for me, and it is more comfy than the gixxer for longer rides. Now, can I keep up with the gixxer... no. But I ride my own ride and am not out to keep up with anyone. Besides, hubby will wait for me . It just depends on what your looking for in a bike. At least it's not a Kawasuki! j/k
lanzer913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #19
craigntx
team ftp

Bike(s):

Quote:
i'd wait for a hottie like you too
babes like you are 1 of the main reasons i get out and about
Old 06-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #20
marioc89

Quote:
No. Are you asking about the Katana? Or every bike Suzuki makes? I think there is a 750 Katana... but I'm not positive. However, Suzuki has plenty of "bigger" bikes. Gsxr, Hayabusa, and a number of cruisers. If you're new to riding, the Kat is a good place to start.

I like my 600 Katana, but I don't ride it to impress anyone. It is comfortable, and built like a tank. Both times it has been hit, the repairs where quick and inexpensive. The bike was road ready way before I was. My biggest complaint... it is heavy.
Yea you're right cuz that's what people tell me. I forgot about those other ones that you mentioned. So Katan's were known for being heavy and air cooled huh?

Advertisement