MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):

Bout to turn it to trackbike

Well, as all of yall have probably witnessed. the bikes banged up and ive been looking for a trackbike so i figured save the money on buying another bike and just make this one a track bike, i was thinking rear sets, vortex clip ons, steering damper, sprockets, and um i know its gonna be expensive but a slipper clutch.. do you guys think its worth doing all that to a f4i? it already feels under powered.. and patrick if your reading this, could ya qoute me a price to do this for me? thanks.
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How 'bout them Texans eltejano Sports 11 11-24-2010 02:14 AM
how bout this weather bunxx Off Topic 7 08-21-2009 09:39 PM
AY AY AY WATCHU KNOW BOUT DAT WHATCHU KNOW BOUT DAT Racer997 Off Topic 3 06-29-2009 03:21 PM
does anybody know bout this accident dixiebabe General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 09-02-2008 02:46 AM
'bout to take the plunge. What do YOU think? ifics Stunters Lounge 7 12-19-2007 11:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

I would just put frame sliders, a good set of tires, maybe go down a tooth on the rear sprocket to give it a liitle more oomph out of corners, and a steering damper (I don't think you need it right now). and set the suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Suspension, rearsets, (on the F4i they are a must have),
brake lines / pads, c/s sprocket, damper, sliders. Give me a shout tomorrow and we can go over everything.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
Well, as all of yall have probably witnessed. the bikes banged up and ive been looking for a trackbike so i figured save the money on buying another bike and just make this one a track bike, i was thinking rear sets, vortex clip ons, steering damper, sprockets, and um i know its gonna be expensive but a slipper clutch.. do you guys think its worth doing all that to a f4i? it already feels under powered.. and patrick if your reading this, could ya qoute me a price to do this for me? thanks.
sounds like a plan man...

patrick's got the hookup on race parts... :notworthy
Old 03-17-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
thatboygeorge
powpows ftw

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

Send a message via AIM to thatboygeorge
and a OIL CHANGE!
thatboygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
rickykline
super squid

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

also head bearings... bleed the brakes.. adjust the clutch.. and replace all those ziptied fairings..

I WISH MY GRASS WAS EMO SO IT WOULD CUT ITSELF....
rickykline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #7
rickykline
super squid

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

dont forget the barends...

Old 03-17-2006, 05:52 AM   #8
ratmzapa

Member Garage

man that bike could be a REAL hazard on the track lol
Old 03-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #9
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

scattering part all over the track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
ratmzapa

Member Garage

lol
Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Sc0
A Lemming

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'01 F4i
'03 KFX400 MX
'09 FLHT
'01 Giant NRS1

Send a message via Yahoo to Sc0
The OEM clipons aren't too bad if they are straight, the Vortex does lower it a wee bit and to re-use the OEM clip ring on the top of the fork tubes I lowered the front of my bike 1/4" or so. I am sure that the stock position would have worked well but I like to overdo things and be ahead of the game. The angle is also more aggressive, though be warned of pinched fingers when trying to manuever the bike when walking it as it can be a bad thing if it's running and in gear.

Rearsets, I have the fixed Pro-Teks as they were cheaper than the rest. 1" up and 1" back with a billet/polished finish. No bearings but I think it uses bushings but not for sure as I haven't needed to take things apart.

Steering Damper, Scotts!

Sprockets are a MUST if you want to use the available power to get you through the track. The '01 F4i has like a 16-46 setup, (not too sure though), I put a 16-48 on and can accelerate faster than before and still top out going way too fast. On short twisty tracks maybe a +2 rear and -1 front CS sprocket would be a good idea. (steveochap gearing) With the stock gearing you are still better than most bikes but you can gain more of an advantage. Then the 520 vs 525, COSTS the same but the 525 lasts longer... I went to the 520 as it is the stock chain on other than Honda bikes but will go back to the 525 once this setup wears out.

I would also say that a slipper clutch isn't worth it. Stainless brake lines and maybe an extra set of wheels with tires/rotors/cush drive mounted would be FAR more usefull and if you have any money left over a FactoryPro shift-star kit... Also, front shock rebuild with goodies inside and a rebuilt or aftermarket rear shock. Without a suspension to give you confidence you will only be as good as the next bump. A FAR better trackbike out of the box would be a ZX6R, perhaps the ultimate upgrade for later when you want to step up.
Sc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #12
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Bike(s):

thanks for the help. i dont understand too much about suspension besides softers making my cornering ALOT easier, and rebound is the force the forks push back up. But i dont see how that would help me in the turns or if i should leave it the way it is, the way it is now i can corner nice but highspeed cornering sends my back end loose. also since my stock suspension allows me to make changes to it, why would i need aftermarket suspension?? And i wanted the slipper clutch cause i hear theres less chance of me breaking my motor.. and the way im downshifting now im wiggling into the turns and sometimes the wiggle doesnt stop when i think it would and sends me off course, so i thought itd be a could idea but expensive. Im was supposed to go see patrick but work didnt let me SORRY MAN, ill definitly bring the bike by ASAP if your open sundays ill be there.
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Motorcycles are all about suspension and when you are at the track in is even more evident. catching a bump mid corner while hauling will bottom out your suspension and send you in a straight line for the dirt. Having it setup for you helps avoid this but, when doing so the stock suspension will be limited by the averages used to initially build it.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #14
Red_Rocket
I wanna go fast!

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R (Slow ET Bike)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
Honda 50 (HA)

Send a message via Yahoo to Red_Rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Suspension, rearsets, (on the F4i they are a must have),
brake lines / pads, c/s sprocket, damper, sliders. Give me a shout tomorrow and we can go over everything.

Patrick

What Patrick said.....
DJ JONES #1762 & #777(Hurricane Alley Racing)
Humble, TX (MDB Racing)
2000 ZX-12R NOS Bike
2004 Turbo Busa
Red_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:17 PM   #15
Sc0
A Lemming

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'01 F4i
'03 KFX400 MX
'09 FLHT
'01 Giant NRS1

Send a message via Yahoo to Sc0
Your stock suspension has limited adjustability, they are mass produced and probly springed for a 90lb asian guy and the valving reflects that. Patrick or Marcus McBain can do your front forks, a basic tune or an all out build with custom internals and set to your weight and riding style. Like I said with a proper suspension you will have more confidence in yourself and the bike which in turn will make you faster and in some instances safer... I think that Patrick can also rebuild the rear shock as well, much cheaper than Ohlins

If you want a small taste you can have the settings "tuned" for somewhere around $20-$30 by the aforementioned people... At their shop or at the track if they are present and not too busy. BUT BEWARE that Honda F4i's forks are sprung softly. (IOW, replace springs before tuning.. then might as well replace the oil, then since your in their ....)

The whole squirming thing might be traced to suspension as well... The only advantage that I see to the slipper clutch is preventing tire hop/chatter when downshifting and not matching the revs. With a smoother riding style and a bike properly setup with some experience it won't be a problem.
Sc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #16
rickykline
super squid

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

you all havent seen this bike lol.... its RUFF lol but with enough money he can fix it up..

Old 03-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #17
RedAggie03
Gig 'Em Aggies!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
None

Send a message via AIM to RedAggie03
good luck man, get that suspension tuned first before you ride again.
RedAggie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #18
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Or better yet, sell it and buy the fully dressed f4 up at Motorcycles Unlimited and be ready for the next track day.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement