Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

A story about a few goodfellas...

So I am putting my wheel on my bike Friday afternoon, before TWS (Texas World Speedway). After I get it on I notice that the brakes feel bad so I call me buddy that some of yall love to hate..

"Hey man...will you bring that vaccuum thing (cuz I dont know the technical names of things) so we can bleed my brakes tomorrow? They feel all jacked up and my wheel doesnt spin well."

He says, "Sure."(goodfella #1)

So we get there and he has a gazillion things to do and so do I but he finds the time to help me bleed them.

After the first session I did, on the race bike, which was later in the day, my front end keeps wanting to tuck on me. I come in...put the front wheel on the stands and accidently touch the rotor and burn the out of my hand. I am like ! Spin the wheel and it wont spin. It is still doing the same thing it was doing before we bled them.

So my buddy that some love to hate is busy instructing and doing his thing..I am dumbfounded as to what the problem is...it's hot as ...now I am cuz I dont think I'll be able to put down any more laps.

So I mosey over to John with SCRC, cuz he is at the events at TWS (Texas World Speedway), MSRH and alll the CMRA races. (goodfella #2)

Me to him, "I know you are a tire guy... but what do you think the issue is?" I proceed to tell him how there is constant pressure on my rotors.

He comes on over...hot as too, I am sure, sits down and we pull the calipers...try this...try that...and get them to stop rubbing. I could have bought some pads from this goodfella #2 but I'm a cheap so I am trying to get by. I know I gotta buy tires from his too so I need the money in my pocket.

Go back out for another session...same .

Come back in...hotter than before and more than before.

"Fck it!" I say, "I'm calling Patrick and Brandon at Motorcycles Unlimited." (goodfellas #3 and #4)

We talked it through...tried a few different things. Hung up...called back...tried something different..hung up....called back...(I know they are getting annoyed now ) hung up...called back...etc etc etc.

Finally I get a list of to try...Then goodfella #1 walks up...grabs some tools and we do all that was suggested and gues what...we fix them.

So I guess the moral of the story is....

John at SCRC and Patrick, with Brandon at Motorcycles Unlimited..are...goodfellas.

Oh yea...and so is the other dude.

Trackside support FTMFW!

I thought about calling Honda of Houston, Aj Foyt, Powersports whatever, site sponsor 1, site sponsor 2, this moto shop or that moto shop, cuz I know they would have been more than willing to sit there, on the phone with me, on a saturday, with motorcycles blazing in the back ground, while I picked thier brains, tried something, called back, tried something, called back and tried something else...they would have been more than willing to help me out, this I am sure of.

OK...not really...I never considering calling anyone else..cuz I know better.

Support those who support you. Those that support you in more ways than just being $1.29 cheaper than the next guy.

Ya dig?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now This Is A Story CUZ Off Topic 8 12-06-2012 04:00 PM
Little story..eh..kinda long story zac5876 General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 08-25-2008 10:06 AM
my story H2447INTX Off Topic 14 06-13-2007 08:11 AM
A STORY H2447INTX Off Topic 6 04-18-2007 05:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

you forgot the guys who let you borrow the axle bolt LOL

im jk man

glad you got all that figured out and got the bike up to par
SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW@T View Post

im jk man

I acknowledged Bran F in the Ride Smart follow up thread.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
soooooooooo what was the issue man
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
soooooooooo what was the issue man
I think, uneducated guess, was that there was some grit or something in the pistons of the calipers.

I am sure there is a better technical name for all that. But either way, the lines were either staying with too much pressure which wasnt allowing them to "retract" or grime wouldnt allow it.

So...I was riding, essentially, with my front brakes engaged.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I think, uneducated guess, was that there was some grit or something in the pistons of the calipers.

I am sure there is a better technical name for all that. But either way, the lines were either staying with too much pressure which wasnt allowing them to "retract" or grime wouldnt allow it.

jeebus

man im glad all you got was a burnt hand
SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:

and I just thought I was railing it out there and smoking your !
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

In the past, after changing pads, I have gotten air trapped in the master that basically hydraulics the system. Usually all I had to do was take the cover off the master and reinstall.

But I also always push the pistons most of the way out of the caliper, and clean everything with liberal use of brake clean and a brush, whenever I change pads. Also a good idea to use some scotch brite on the rotors to clean them up and remove any old pad material....
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
In the past, after changing pads, I have gotten air trapped in the master that basically hydraulics the system. Usually all I had to do was take the cover off the master and reinstall.

But I also always push the pistons most of the way out of the caliper, and clean everything with liberal use of brake clean and a brush, whenever I change pads. Also a good idea to use some scotch brite on the rotors to clean them up and remove any old pad material....
most defiantely...

and a big ol for good fellas
Old 06-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
BossLady
CMRA #898

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'09 ZX6R

Member Garage

We were at Motorcycles Unlimited when you called. I was like, "oh , Brandt isn't trying to work on his own bike is he?"
Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
We were at Motorcycles Unlimited when you called. I was like, "oh , Brandt isn't trying to work on his own bike is he?"
that's ruff.

I hear ya, Dilly. I've got a couple 'goodfellaz' that seem to go out of their way. All I can do is try my best to return the favor when needed.

Good on ya for callin them out.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
No wonder the line was busy everytime I called.
A$$hole!

j/k
to Motorcycles Unlimited and the other guy(who ever you are).
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I'm still having the same problem with my front brakes. What's the best way to try and get air out ofcthe master? Mo matter how much I bleed it air keeps coming out.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #14
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
So I am putting my wheel on my bike Friday afternoon, before TWS (Texas World Speedway). After I get it on I notice that the brakes feel bad so I call me buddy that some of yall love to hate..

"Hey man...will you bring that vaccuum thing (cuz I dont know the technical names of things) so we can bleed my brakes tomorrow? They feel all jacked up and my wheel doesnt spin well."

He says, "Sure."(goodfella #1)

So we get there and he has a gazillion things to do and so do I but he finds the time to help me bleed them.

After the first session I did, on the race bike, which was later in the day, my front end keeps wanting to tuck on me. I come in...put the front wheel on the stands and accidently touch the rotor and burn the out of my hand. I am like ! Spin the wheel and it wont spin. It is still doing the same thing it was doing before we bled them.

So my buddy that some love to hate is busy instructing and doing his thing..I am dumbfounded as to what the problem is...it's hot as ...now I am cuz I dont think I'll be able to put down any more laps.

So I mosey over to John with SCRC, cuz he is at the events at TWS (Texas World Speedway), MSRH and alll the CMRA races. (goodfella #2)

Me to him, "I know you are a tire guy... but what do you think the issue is?" I proceed to tell him how there is constant pressure on my rotors.

He comes on over...hot as too, I am sure, sits down and we pull the calipers...try this...try that...and get them to stop rubbing. I could have bought some pads from this goodfella #2 but I'm a cheap so I am trying to get by. I know I gotta buy tires from his too so I need the money in my pocket.

Go back out for another session...same .

Come back in...hotter than before and more than before.

"Fck it!" I say, "I'm calling Patrick and Brandon at Motorcycles Unlimited." (goodfellas #3 and #4)

We talked it through...tried a few different things. Hung up...called back...tried something different..hung up....called back...(I know they are getting annoyed now ) hung up...called back...etc etc etc.

Finally I get a list of to try...Then goodfella #1 walks up...grabs some tools and we do all that was suggested and gues what...we fix them.

So I guess the moral of the story is....

John at SCRC and Patrick, with Brandon at Motorcycles Unlimited..are...goodfellas.

Oh yea...and so is the other dude.

Trackside support FTMFW!

I thought about calling Honda of Houston, Aj Foyt, Powersports whatever, site sponsor 1, site sponsor 2, this moto shop or that moto shop, cuz I know they would have been more than willing to sit there, on the phone with me, on a saturday, with motorcycles blazing in the back ground, while I picked thier brains, tried something, called back, tried something, called back and tried something else...they would have been more than willing to help me out, this I am sure of.

OK...not really...I never considering calling anyone else..cuz I know better.

Support those who support you. Those that support you in more ways than just being $1.29 cheaper than the next guy.

Ya dig?
Great story! And I like Goodfella #1, too!

Patrick has been very helpful with me, too, especially in dealing with some problems I'm having with the insurance claim on my bike. Motorcycles Unlimited will always get my business.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:

Better than riding with a warped rotor and having to pumpyour brakes or trail them from corner to corner and big ups to tony derek sunny and alonzo for being good mobstas I means fellas hahaha
Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #16
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW@T View Post

im jk man

That was a community project between NachoZX10r and I. we were in the middle of a quick tire change on our bikes anyways, so we had 2 sitting around. Nacho and I just swaped axle nuts back and forth from one to the other and went on. Glad to help

Trackside support is always worth it, glad your issues resolved at the track Brandt.
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
I'm still having the same problem with my front brakes. What's the best way to try and get air out ofcthe master? Mo matter how much I bleed it air keeps coming out.
ditch the kawi and get a real mans bike!!! seems the fastest guys on the track tend to mostly be on suzuki's...........i mean, im not sayin, im just sayin
Old 06-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
zip-tie the lever over night and bleed it @ the master (bleeder or banjo)

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #19
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I dig!
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
Sounds like you were practicing your trailbraking!

Kudos to all the goodfellas that helped you out

Advertisement