MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"
 
tonyt915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (19)
Posts: 9,248

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage


taking the clutch cover off?

Well a small leak has formed around one of the bolts on the clutch cover on the Honda. Also its almost due for an oil change so I figured ill pull the cover off clean it and put a new seal on it. When I did the stator cover it was easy. Is there anything to worry about with the clutch cover? Do I need to unhook the cable? Never messed with the clutch side so I'm in the dark.
__________________
HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!
dinosaur
tonyt915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clutch cover gasket darklineninja General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-17-2012 05:03 PM
clutch cover for a fiddy mr.haterz Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 1 05-21-2011 07:18 PM
Stator/clutch cover bolts??? TheMagicMan General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-15-2009 12:02 PM
f4i clutch cover... pimp2303 How To's and Q & A's 8 10-30-2007 06:59 PM
air shifter, and clutch cover akestler Forum Updates & Feedback 1 07-04-2007 08:22 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









shouldn't that be a warranty issue on an 08 bike???
not saying you can't do it just that oil leaks are unacceptable on an 08 bike
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"
 
tonyt915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (19)
Posts: 9,248

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
shouldn't that be a warranty issue on an 08 bike???
not saying you can't do it just that oil leaks are unacceptable on an 08 bike
well i put the woodcraft clutch cover on and it started leaking about 3 months later, so not sure if they would warranty that
__________________
HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!
dinosaur
tonyt915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
Shinyman
Senior Member
 
Shinyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kingwood
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,406

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)








put the stock cover back and be like WTF IT LEAKS!?
Shinyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"
 
tonyt915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (19)
Posts: 9,248

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyman View Post
put the stock cover back and be like WTF IT LEAKS!?
hmmmmmmm that would be a quick fix but it does have some scratches on the clutch side so they may use that against me.

DSC00423 1
__________________
HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!
dinosaur
tonyt915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
well i put the woodcraft clutch cover on and it started leaking about 3 months later, so not sure if they would warranty that
aarrhh that's different,
warranty wouldn't apply imo,
so if you put the woodcraft on why the hesitatation in taking it off!!
we would always put our race covers (NRC, woodcraft etc) on with a very small smear of silicon assembly paste.
But check that the mating surfaces on the woodcraft are as clean and straight as they should be and that there are no burrs or raised edges
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"
 
tonyt915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (19)
Posts: 9,248

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
aarrhh that's different,
warranty wouldn't apply imo,
so if you put the woodcraft on why the hesitatation in taking it off!!
we would always put our race covers (NRC, woodcraft etc) on with a very small smear of silicon assembly paste.
But check that the mating surfaces on the woodcraft are as clean and straight as they should be and that there are no burrs or raised edges
I guess on you bike the cove is a complete cover, for Honda the woodcraft cover only goes over the lower half of the oem clutch cover as you can see in the pic above. Its kind of wierd the way it leaking also. It only drips a fine mist when the bike is running does not drip while its turned off and it coming from behind the bolt not on the seal
__________________
HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!
dinosaur
tonyt915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
Shinyman
Senior Member
 
Shinyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kingwood
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,406

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
aarrhh that's different,
warranty wouldn't apply imo,
so if you put the woodcraft on why the hesitatation in taking it off!!
we would always put our race covers (NRC, woodcraft etc) on with a very small smear of silicon assembly paste.
But check that the mating surfaces on the woodcraft are as clean and straight as they should be and that there are no burrs or raised edges
what he said
Shinyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I guess on you bike the cove is a complete cover, for Honda the woodcraft cover only goes over the lower half of the oem clutch cover as you can see in the pic above
yea i see that now, ignore my
i was picturing a full cover!
I know you said the leak is around a bolt, can you tell if the leak coming from the clutch cover to crankcase mating, the woodcraft to cover mating or via a bolt hole???
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
Phydeaux
Flat Black > Rash
 
Phydeaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,533

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i




Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to Phydeaux
Pull the cover off and inspect the bolts. Are the threads damaged whatsoever on the leaker? Is there a ant washer missing from that one?
__________________
'Tis Dirtay Party season!!!
Phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #11
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"
 
tonyt915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (19)
Posts: 9,248

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
yea i see that now, ignore my
i was picturing a full cover!
I know you said the leak is around a bolt, can you tell if the leak coming from the clutch cover to crankcase mating, the woodcraft to cover mating or via a bolt hole???
its coming out via the bolt hole, if you look at the pic thes the one in the middle of the woodcraft. is doesnt leak were the cover mates to the case, it starts leaking between the back of the bolt head and the woodcraft
__________________
HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!
dinosaur
tonyt915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #12
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"
 
tonyt915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (19)
Posts: 9,248

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
Pull the cover off and inspect the bolts. Are the threads damaged whatsoever on the leaker? Is there a ant washer missing from that one?
thats what I want to do, but ive never pulled the clutch cover off and I dont want any surprising parts flying out when I pop it off. I was gonna inspect the cover and bolts, then reapply rtv hightemp sealant and then put the cover back on, then put a some loctite on the the 3 woodcraft bolts
__________________
HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!
dinosaur
tonyt915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #13
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









I would buy myself a cheap fibre washer for that one bolt.
remove it, clean it, add the washer and again a tiny smear of silicon, refit, don't overtighten and clean off any residue.
let it cure for a couple of hours and you should be good to go.
i'm assuming the threads weren't damaged when the cover was fitted!!
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #14
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"
 
tonyt915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (19)
Posts: 9,248

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
I would buy myself a cheap fibre washer for that one bolt.
remove it, clean it, add the washer and again a tiny smear of silicon, refit, don't overtighten and clean off any residue.
let it cure for a couple of hours and you should be good to go.
i'm assuming the threads weren't damaged when the cover was fitted!!
nope threads are fine, I pulled it out to check. Ill try what you said and see if that works. Whats a fibre washer though?
__________________
HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!
dinosaur
tonyt915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 AM   #15
klassik
Senior Member
 
klassik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rosharon Tx
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 7,984

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
929
rnz450








dont do it homie take it to Motorcycles Unlimited lol
__________________
www.teamstunters.com
klassik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #16
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
nope threads are fine, I pulled it out to check. Ill try what you said and see if that works. Whats a fibre washer though?
you may know it by another name

Fibre Flat Washers are made from vulcanized sheets. Fibre Flat Washers are used for electrical and mechanical applications. Fibre Flat Washers are usually made in black fibre but can be produced inother colors such as red, gray and white.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #17
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"
 
tonyt915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (19)
Posts: 9,248

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
you may know it by another name

Fibre Flat Washers are made from vulcanized sheets. Fibre Flat Washers are used for electrical and mechanical applications. Fibre Flat Washers are usually made in black fibre but can be produced inother colors such as red, gray and white.
oh ok, gotcha. Ive seen those before but dont know where. Ill try an auto store see if they have them
__________________
HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!
dinosaur
tonyt915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy