MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
09 r1 too much torque?

well on my way into work today i was running a tad bit behind. (i was not going to be late per say, but behind on my normal time) So i felt the need to pick up the pace a little bit to make sure I wasnt late. As i hit a nice little S turn and go on the gas a good bit, the front of my r1 got a little light but didnt come off the ground, then i hit a bump in the road and we started to dance side to side... my foot flew off the peg just as i was starting to let the bike take care of the situation and hope that it would snap out of it... then my foot slammed into the peg... and the bike was fine...

one thing i did notice though is when we bike was going nuts my front brake handle was just flapping around like a flag... so after the bike fixed itself i went to "test" the front brakes to see if they were broke or what and i depressed the brakes almost all the way back. For some reason the r1 had either drained the front brake lines during the headshake or just from the headshake they had drained themself... so i pumped the brakes and they came right back.. but it was def very interesting... and a little painful!
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
09 r1 dboi Event Pics and Vids 22 05-18-2014 10:34 PM
who has a 09+ r1???? KZEEY General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 01-03-2014 08:03 PM
09 r1 won't start?? no fly zone 01 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 04-23-2012 01:20 PM
Need a battery for 09 R1 floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-19-2011 10:51 AM
09 yamaha R1 LivInG lYfE General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 10-02-2008 09:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

What mode were you in A, B, or C?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

did it somehow knock a brake pad out? it shouldn;t get loose unless you all of a sudden had more play in the brakes. you may want to make sure they are both still there
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

It didnt drain the fluid, the rotors pushed the pistons back in the calipers and needed 1 or 2 pumps to get them back out, should be perfect after that, steering damper?
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
no such thing as too muh torque. Learn throttle control!
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Bike(s):

Ive never heard to much of anything ?
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

I'm sorry, what does too much torque have to do with your front brakes?

If you ride with some weight on your pegs rather than all on the seat you and the bike will do much better over bumps.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
DC_The_Boss
Track-Addict

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 R1 Raven

Send a message via AIM to DC_The_Boss
what are you talking about too much torque? not having brakes for even a short period of time would have scared me.
DC_The_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
did it somehow knock a brake pad out? it shouldn;t get loose unless you all of a sudden had more play in the brakes. you may want to make sure they are both still there

+1

I don't think it has anything to do with the power of the bike. Violent headshake can cause the pads to get a gap between them and the disc which will require you to pump the brakes to get them to work. This has happened to me at the track due to some bad headshake. I also believe Miguel DuHammel or some other professional rider has stated having a crash due to the same reason.

Be careful with the brakes after you get headshake. If you get headshake a lot think about getting your suspension looked over to check the geometry, check tire pressures, and also might consider looking into a steering damper if one isn't on the bike now.

Last edited by bdubb; 06-18-2009 at 03:34 PM.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
u could trade me for my 04 ill let you know what I think after a couple months...
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Shinyman

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

bash bash bash
Shinyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
Capt Penetrate
A view from my office

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 Track
07 R1 to pose

Let me ride that biotch on the track where it belongs!!!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
I'm going to let Motorcycles Unlimited look at the bike again and it's got a stock steering damp.
But I might upgrade and I was on the gas hard my weight was on the pegs this isn't my first time to ride fast it is just that I was hard on the gas and the r1 wants to carry the front wheel even after having everything setup it's a very torque bike
Old 06-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

what Tim said.
the front gets light on me all the time, I just hold the bars loosely and everything works out just fine.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
I dont see why you would need to upgrade for street riding.. it has an electronic servo activated dampner...
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

I DOUBT it was too much torque..... A buddy of mine just dynoed one...not impressive....low-midrange is even more pitiful then then the 06-08 R1s

You should definetly check those brakes, something definetly sounds wrong there...maybe it was just from the violent head shake.. Maybe they need to be bled again just to make sure all the air is out of them. Scary stuff bro....

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Phydeaux
Flat Black > Rash

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Phydeaux
Saying "too much torque" is like saying "too much displacement". Find the root cause of the braking issue and get that fixed. Then try and repeat the headshake in a turn (sounds goofy, I know). Not sure if your front brakes are full floating or not but If so, check the rotor "buttons" for debris. On mine, I have to clean them and take a really scrawny flatblade and push the spring washers the other direction. The smallest amount of road grime will cause a warped rotor feeling under hard braking. It has become one of the most frequent PM issues on the bike. I've noticed that when it needs cleaning the brakes will require one or two full pumps to bring the pads back close to the rotor. Only real headshake I ever get is under the same condition, pulling some side g's while pouring on the coal. Usually only does it when the front end is light and settles right back down as soon as I get a bit of weight back on the front end. Then again, Ohlins forks and dampner FTMFW!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
could it be rider error?? but yes the rotors probably pushed the pistons back in because it did that to me at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on my 07.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #20
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
+1

I don't think it has anything to do with the power of the bike. Violent headshake can cause the pads to get a gap between them and the disc which will require you to pump the brakes to get them to work. This has happened to me at the track due to some bad headshake. I also believe Miguel DuHammel or some other professional rider has stated having a crash due to the same reason.

Be careful with the brakes after you get headshake. If you get headshake a lot think about getting your suspension looked over to check the geometry, check tire pressures, and also might consider looking into a steering damper if one isn't on the bike now.
that's the answer right there
a couple of pumps should rectify the problem completely and return them to perfect working order.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement