Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Steering stabilizer tech question..

On my CBR600rr i've got a scott steering stabilizer. Yesterday i go to get on my bike to leave work which had been sitting in the sun all day. I notice the steering didn't feel as stiff as i had left it. For normal commute riding i've kept the settings at a medium/soft setting. It felt like it wasn't even on there even when i turned the adjustment.

When i got home i looked alittle closer and it looked as if there was alittle oil surrounding the black cap to the right of the adjustmend .

Is it possible that having sat out in the sun all day, it could have heated up and maybe blew a seal or o-ring or something?? If so could this be an easy fix?

I've never had one on a bike before this so i'm not really familiar with them.

Thanks for the input/ suggestions

-Kyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB STEERING STABILIZER 2007 zx6r SPEED FREAK DECALS General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 11-02-2013 07:01 PM
suzuki stock steering stabilizer messiah Performance and Modifications 0 10-14-2013 11:16 PM
08 R6 Steering Stabilizer Elvenezuelan General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 01-24-2013 03:43 PM
Steering Stabilizer for Monster 1100? quicksaveme Performance and Modifications 0 09-24-2010 05:01 PM
Toby steering stabilizer?????? cody.boydzx6r General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 01-16-2009 12:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

This is the exploded view of the different parts. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is it fairly common?
Quote:
The cycle continues.

Last edited by kdog22; 09-22-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

I also noticed on their website they offer servicing for these things if you want to UPS them into them and they do a 10 point inspection.

If nobody has anything, i might have to do this. But i'd rather not spend the money on shipping and however much that service might cost me.

Thanks again
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
ive always disliked scotts. ive had better luck with the GPR or Pitbull ones....
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
On my CBR600rr i've got a scott steering stabilizer. Yesterday i go to get on my bike to leave work which had been sitting in the sun all day. I notice the steering didn't feel as stiff as i had left it. For normal commute riding i've kept the settings at a medium/soft setting. It felt like it wasn't even on there even when i turned the adjustment.

When i got home i looked alittle closer and it looked as if there was alittle oil surrounding the black cap to the right of the adjustmend .

Is it possible that having sat out in the sun all day, it could have heated up and maybe blew a seal or o-ring or something?? If so could this be an easy fix?

I've never had one on a bike before this so i'm not really familiar with them.

Thanks for the input/ suggestions

-Kyle

I doubt those things are sealed amazingly well. You probably just thinned out the fluid far enough to allow it to bypass the seal.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

is the bleeding procedure a pain if i replace the fluid?
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
QTip

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 'S'

U should invest in an Ohlins Damper...you can't go wrong with those! But if it's leaking oil, then your damper is shot. Send it in for service...
Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTip View Post
U should invest in an Ohlins Damper...you can't go wrong with those! But if it's leaking oil, then your damper is shot. Send it in for service...
i'd rather not, but it seems like i might have to.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTip View Post
U should invest in an Ohlins Damper...you can't go wrong with those!
Scott's dampers ARE ohlins dampers.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement