MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Brand Specific?
I am not brand specific. All bikes are pretty good these days. 77 47.83%
I am brand specific. There is only one maker that rules, and I ride it. 28 17.39%
What? No nudity again? Geez! 56 34.78%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #21
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

I am very biased, ice rode many many mx bikes and quads, used to think the greatest was Yamaha but after riding a Honda I switched everything over to Honda, I believe the quality of all Honda products exceed other brands. I'm very hard on just about every motorized vehicle I have and tend to try to make them do things the were originally not designed for, and Honda unlike Yamaha and suzuki have never failed. Although they are not the fastest I would take quality over speed any day.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a specific Textile Jacket... Solracer Gear Talk 0 09-18-2014 08:53 AM
cheapest place/brand of moto specific oil hjl47 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-11-2010 09:08 PM
Track Specific Gearing smokinjoe Taking it to the Track 21 11-06-2008 02:01 PM
lookin for a specific video socplay50 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 07-23-2007 05:57 PM
help! looking for specific helmet bag FuelSlut General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-25-2006 12:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Cause they're lame.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #23
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

i have 1 of each of the big 4.

i am not brand specific. i will try to ride just about anything 2 wheeled to crack a grin.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #24
01ducatiss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2001 ducati 750 supersport

Send a message via Yahoo to 01ducatiss
my first bike is my ducati and its rides nice, very easy to handle, not really alot of bullshit to it, everything on it has a purpose. truth is i wasnt looking for a ducati, i was just put in a situation i couldnt refuse, obviously its not a superbike and cant go 200 but it goes fast enough and i have not seen one one the road ever so thats cool. maintenance is f-ing retarded im sure by the end of this year i will have replace evry removable part FML and $70 an hour for bob lundfors to work on it, so my oil leak will cost over $700 to replace a gasket, o yeah that doesnt include the parts..... FML
01ducatiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #25
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

I feel all bikes now adays are generally good bikes. I've mostly been on a honda all my life. I've owned 2 yamahas and liked those as well. I've ridden all brands of bikes but have only owned a Honda and 2 yamahas. I can say i'm a Honda fan based on my experience with the Brand. Motocross-wise my hondas were put through some serious abuse and could not have been any better of a bike to me. But my friends with the suzukis and kawi MX bikes always seemed to have some kind of overheating problem or valve adjustement problem. I don't know if it was just their riding and maintenance or more brand quality. But i havn't owned one so i can't really confidently say anything about either.

I've always loved how my hondas felt and their quality and reliability was awesome so i've always bought hondas. So all in all i'm a honda fan for those reasons. But open minded to the other brands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
All mfgs. have their good points and their bad ones.
I don't give a what you ride personally.
I can find something to like about pretty much anything that has two wheels and a motor.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #27
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
I'm not a big fan of Yamaha or Kawi because I work on bikes for a living.

Yamaha seems like they sacrifice quality for speed & Kawi just looks like it was engineered by a ship builder (no thought into what happens if it breaks)

I'll happily ride them because they ride great. Just won't own them.
That may be because Kawasaki is a Ship Builder! Actually, I think they started off in that industry.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
Htownz

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

I have never had a Honda give me any unexpected problems/issues.

"There is nothing ever wrong with a Honda Engine" - some redneck at Landsdowne on Nasa Rd. 1
Htownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #29
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom96 View Post
All mfgs. have their good points and their bad ones.
I don't give a what you ride personally.
I can find something to like about pretty much anything that has two wheels and a motor.
+1
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #30
gueroaero
@ shcool

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Vulcan 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
That may be because Kawasaki is a Ship Builder! Actually, I think they started off in that industry.

And they still DO build ships
Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #31
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I buy whatever I get a deal on. In the last 2 years I have owned an R6, gsxr750 and a 1000rr. I think they are all well built these days.

I will say this though, back in the late 80's early 90's, when I was racing ATV's, there was NO BETTER than Honda's Fourtrax 250r. Period. No one was winning on Kawasaki's Tecate or Suzukis Quad Racer. The honda was the slowest but handled better than all of them. In the open class it was yamaha's banshee over suzuki's quad racer 500 (and the banshee was 150cc's smaller)

Other than that particular era with me, it has always been 95% ish rider.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #32
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I had a Yamaha for like 3 days once and it broke down on me twice so I took that piece of back and got a CBR. My 1st bike was a Honda and my 2 bikes after that r6 were Hondas. I a kinda biased to Honda cause so far both have been very reliable.

But I dont know much about the newer stuff and I have known a few people that had problems with the 1000rr and burning oil and some recall.

I am pretty sure all the brands are pretty good but when its my 10 grand ont he line, I go with what has worked for me.
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #33
QTip

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 'S'

I think all bikes are pretty much solidly built. All the 600 Supersport bikes are very similar in performace. It's just a matter of ergonomics and comfort. For me, I always liked the look of Yamaha...but, I've always wanted a Ducati.

I now own a Ducati...my dream bike! No going back for me...!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #34
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

we have had just about every brand here in the garage. Personally i find the wrench turning to be a bonus. I love working on my bike. Dont get me wrong I dont want the thing to break down everyday, but having to fix something every now and then is fine with me. I probably enjoy wrenching my bike as much as riding. Every brand has its quirks, some leak oil, some blow sprag clutches, some blow second gear, ect ect. If its a good deal ill probably buy it, and ride the ever living out of it.
my .02
Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #35
bradtx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

At one time I rode nothing but Kawasaki. Okay, the Daytonas in the garage are sort of in the same family, but in the end it comes down to ergos, one's own idea of performance, cosmetic appeal and reliability.

Now-a-days we're lucky that there are no real losers on the market.

Brad
Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #36
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ducatiss View Post
my first bike is my ducati and its rides nice, very easy to handle, not really alot of bullshit to it, everything on it has a purpose. truth is i wasnt looking for a ducati, i was just put in a situation i couldnt refuse, obviously its not a superbike and cant go 200 but it goes fast enough and i have not seen one one the road ever so thats cool. maintenance is f-ing retarded im sure by the end of this year i will have replace evry removable part FML and $70 an hour for bob lundfors to work on it, so my oil leak will cost over $700 to replace a gasket, o yeah that doesnt include the parts..... FML

Everyone I've ever known that's owned a Ducati for a long time says they break too much to ever buy a 2nd hehe

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #37
txferrari
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #38
Dobeman

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2009 Kawasaki 250R
2009 Yamaha Rhino Sport
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S

This one is easy... Race on Sunday, buy on Monday. Well, okay Tuesday because no one is open on Monday. Is there any doubt that Yamaha is most commited to racing of late?
Dobeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #39
exlaverda

I really haven't honestly had that many problems with most of the bikes I've owned... but then again, I took care of them and everything mechanical can fail.

My GSXR had simple problems, my old V-max only had the rear drive develop slight problems, but nothing major. My old Honda Cb125s only died because I was an idiot pushing it to its limits. The HD has had some minor issues, but I trust it more than most (go figure...)

The worst two were the Laverda, because there is no factory support and unless you're riding the bike flat out, the charging system didn't really work that well. My '06 Triumph Bonnie America was probably the most disappointing, as the vent tube for the fuel system has a bad habit of sucking in water whenever it rains, thus creating a vapor lock. Easily fixed, but frustrating out on the road
'76 Laverda3CL....
PGR rider, and proud of it!
exlaverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #40
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I have ridden and have owned most major brands. I currently help some track buddies with their maintenance and do a little wrenching for street buddies. I work on Honda / Suzuki / Ducati / Yamaha / Kawi / Harley / Buell, and even GB's Bourget Chopper. I do the work for myself and for my friends - and try to help out whoever I can at track days.

All that being said -- I can't believe I'm saying this (ha ha) but I'm in the same boat as and agree with Jody - I think Honda is absolutley the best and in addition to that I've had a great relationship with the folks at Northwest Honda for nearly 30 years.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement