MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #21
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
dude, you should come to my store (details in sig) , hang out...check out the gear, try stuff on, watch some DVD's with us...lol. we can show you a good deal of whats available so on...

^ totally agree with whoever said shoei is the best. i went to one of their seminars, it was the shiznit. i learned so much about how they make shoei's, they are awesome. the x-11 is the best, its expensive, but worth every penny. the TZ-R is also not bad as an entry level shoei, ive thought about getting one, but ill probably just save my $ till i can afford the x-11.

one thing to think about when getting a jacket is weather or not your going to do track days...i love my icon motorhead jacket, its awesome for the street, but now im going to end up getting a 1 peice leather suit for the track...if i had thought about it a little more. i might have gotten a two peice leather that'd be good for street and track.

just my $0.02
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gearing changes gtdrivr General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-11-2013 05:35 PM
Which Gearing is better for GSS THE DEAN OF LEAN Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 1 02-04-2010 02:31 PM
gearing Tattoo Performance and Modifications 22 07-21-2009 04:40 PM
gearing??????? miguel!! Forum Updates & Feedback 7 05-25-2009 08:36 AM
Gearing bignissan Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 5 03-23-2009 04:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #22
zero4o3

Send a message via AIM to zero4o3 Send a message via Yahoo to zero4o3
as far as gear goes i would go check some stuff out at the shops so you have a good idea what size you need, then check out the closeout gear on this site
http://www.newenough.com/product_dep..._closeouts.htm
before you go buy anything. i have gotten most of my gear threw them and have been pretty happy with it so far
zero4o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:55 AM   #23
BigC
AKA Big Daddy

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
88"HURRICANE 1000 ( crashed ) / 98"Z-71 1500 4x4 / 06" Nissan Sentra Spec - V 6 Speed / ZX-7 Ninja

That's cold man............LOL
BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #24
Slingblade92
Azzhole

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
94 CBR 600

I get paid this Friday, figure I'll start off w/ the small stuff. Gonna go to a few different shops and pick up some gloves. Been doing some looking on ebay and whatnot so I can get an idea as to what I like and will still do the job of protection.
Slingblade92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #25
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

First things first.........DO NOT buy your gear until you take the MSF Basic RiderCourse.

1) You'll discuss gear during the class, including what to look for in good gear.

2) You can talk to your Instructors during breaks. See what they wear and why. Ask them what they recommend and why.

3) If you take the course from us, you'll get coupons for 10-15% off to Cycle Gear, Honda of Houston, and Motorcycles Unlimited. All of which sell quality gear at good prices. You could almost save the price of the course just with the coupons alone.

Challen
Lead Instructor
www.awesomecycles.com
Houston's Largest Awesomest Motorcycle Riding School
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #26
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickykline
gear is way more important than the bike.. buy a leather jacket gloves and a GOOD HELMET.. i dont care what anyone says nothing is better than a shoei or arai..
Yea who cares what all that reserch said if ricky says there the best then they are....

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #27
Slingblade92
Azzhole

Bike(s):
94 CBR 600

Challen, you say don't buy gear until I take the MSF, however, the MSF that I'll be attending states you must have your gear for the class. I'll be taking the MSF here a San Jacinto College, Central Campus. Their course starts Friday night from 6PM-930PM, then again on Sat and Sun from 730AM-330PM.
I don't think I could find a shop that is open that late or that early.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:48 AM   #28
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

Don't feel pressured into spending a lot of $$$ on your helmet by the posers. There's no proof that Arai or Shoei is any better than HJC, so you can decide for yourself whether you think more expensive means more protection or not. I'd like some kind of proof, personally, if i was going to be spending that much extra.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #29
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblade92
Challen, you say don't buy gear until I take the MSF, however, the MSF that I'll be attending states you must have your gear for the class. I'll be taking the MSF here a San Jacinto College, Central Campus. Their course starts Friday night from 6PM-930PM, then again on Sat and Sun from 730AM-330PM.
I don't think I could find a shop that is open that late or that early.
Gear for MSF? Beginner's course??? I don't think so. You may have to wear like, a long sleeve t-shirt, pants, boots that go above the ankles, and maybe some leather gloves I think.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #30
xtalman

Bike(s):
'04 Speed Four

Helmets: I've had KBC and Arai. My next one will be a Shoei X-11.

Jackets: You'll want a mesh one for the summer. I prefer Fieldsheer's mesh stuff. Leather is best, but too hot in the summer.

Gloves: I have Held Kryptons. They replaced Dainese X-1 Pelles which I was not impressed with.

I'd add motorcycle boots to your list. I have Sidi Vertebra II's, and they not only protect your feet, they also make shifting a lot easier.

Which 500 are you looking at? Not a bad choice for your first bike.
xtalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #31
Slingblade92
Azzhole

Bike(s):
94 CBR 600

Called the school earlier today. Requirements include : Helmet, gloves, over the ankle shoes/boots, long pants, and a long sleeved shirt. So, no riding jacket required, but the gloves and helmet are a must.

Looking at a Ninja 500R or a GS500E/F, also keeping an eye out for a good deal on a 250R
Old 03-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #32
zixx6r

For msf you can wear just work gloves or jersey gloves.

I like these gloves, I can vouch for them they are very good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEKNI...41090966QQrdZ1

Cheap because it's an old style. but very protective.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #33
JJO
The One and Only

Bike(s):
Injured 2005 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
For msf you can wear just work gloves or jersey gloves.

I like these gloves, I can vouch for them they are very good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEKNI...41090966QQrdZ1

Cheap because it's an old style. but very protective.
Kangaroo leather is the shiznit
Old 03-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #34
Slingblade92
Azzhole

Bike(s):
94 CBR 600

I was actually looking at the ICON Pursuit gloves. Any thoughts/reviews/ideas on those. They look fairly decent and appear to be able to offer good protection.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #35
TRD23
Thats MR. to you.

Bike(s):
01 ZX6R

[QUOTE=Slingblade92]Called the school earlier today. Requirements include : Helmet, gloves, over the ankle shoes/boots, long pants, and a long sleeved shirt. So, no riding jacket required, but the gloves and helmet are a must.

i took msf at san jac. They let u ride a 250 and they supply bucket helmets for you. I just got setup vision boots from motocycle unlimited..supposed to be good boots and price...should be coming in tomorrow!!!!! so excited.... and you get 10% discount.
TRD23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #36
Slingblade92
Azzhole

Bike(s):
94 CBR 600

Picked up my gloves yesterday...Got a set of Alpinestars SP-S from Cyclegear. Next up is the jacket.....and from the prices, it'll be about a month before I get that money together :(
Old 03-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #37
PETE
CLUTCH

Bike(s):
Don't have one =(

Send a message via AIM to PETE
just dont buy a bike, just buy some nice gear and roll up to PP1 in your car and have a cup of coffee...=P
PETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #38
Slingblade92
Azzhole

Bike(s):
94 CBR 600

The bike is actually the last thing I'll purchase. Now that I've got gloves, jacket and helmet are up next. After those, it's on to the MSF course. After that's completed, I'll start looking for a bike. It's going to take me until probably June/July to get it all done, but I fell I'm going about it the right way.

btw, what is PP1?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #39
Sc0
A Lemming

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'01 F4i
'03 KFX400 MX
'09 FLHT
'01 Giant NRS1

Send a message via Yahoo to Sc0
You don't need professional riding gear before the MSF class. Work gloves and boots with jean and a long sleeve shirt will do fine! Loaner bucket open faced helmets are available at no cost. The class teaches fundementals and do's/dont's on motorcycles, after all if you don't like the idea of a bike you won't have to offload all the extra gear you bought... ALSO, at the end of the class you get some coupons for discounts from CycleGear and Motorcycles Unlimited. (or at least when I went through it) Those coupons can save you A BIT of money on gear.... I took Challens class back in Jul/Aug last year so things might have changed.

As for the moron who said Arai and Shoei are the best, go somewhere else and blow your smoke. Guess MotoGP people should throw away their Suomy's and grab one right away? Anything that carries a SNELL or BSI is great, the rest are just preferences for $$$. I personally wouldn't want to wear a helmet rated by DOT only... Scorpion helmets are new to the market and the price is appealing so they might be worth looking into as well as HJC and KBC. Be sure to find a shop that knows what they are doing before purchasing a helmet. If it doesn't fit and you find out later on, be prepared to shell out more $$$ for one in the proper size.. the same goes for gloves. Motorcycles Unlimited is very helpful in this regard.

I have a Suomy, purchased through Patrick at a rather nice discount... I dropped it once and cracked the vent which is glued to the top and for $25 it is replaceable, the liner is fully removeable for cleaning/replacement, the two covers that go over the visor pivots are replaceable if you are careless when reassembling, the airflow is impressive and NOISY so earplugs are a must. It's not the best helmet but i'm sure it will do what it's made for quiete well. The fully removeable liner would be a MUST have in my book, helmet hygiene is a nice luxury to have available...
Sc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #40
99BlackR1
Spaz

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
R1, CRF50

leathers look great but are extremely hot during the summer. the mesh jackets (some) have just as much protection as the leathers because of the padding. sooner at later your going to hit something while you're sliding across the ground.get a leather if you have the money and don't mind wearing it during the summer, properly worn. this means fitting correctly and zipped up. Leathers are great but the new technology that have been put into the new mesh jackets lately are awesome. a co-worker of mine took a fall on a gsxr at 110 with a mesh jacket on and got no roadrash, it didn't go through the inner layer, and no broken bones.
motorcycledudeindestructible2542999l4qy6go
Pardon the hate and the animosity
towards your belief system and your hypocrisy.
No regrets, no remorse.This is my last serenade
99BlackR1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement