MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
dtlam_88
Noob

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
03 600RR

Send a message via AIM to dtlam_88 Send a message via Yahoo to dtlam_88
Overheating?

I have an 03 600rr. She has roughly 10k miles on her and the only mods are a two bros slip on, pc3, and k&n air filter. She has been laid down once about a year ago but repairs were done by Motorcycles Unlimited. A couple of weeks ago I had to jump start her, did it with the car running, and she picked up instantly. Last week I had to jump her again but to no avail, with the car running. I replaced the battery and she picked up just fine. Normally at highway speeds of about 70-80mph she stays at a constant 170-173 temp. After the first jump I noticed the temperature go to a stead 180. Today, with same speeds, she went up to a high of 201 on highway speeds. I checked the coolant and oil levels and they are perfectly fine. Is there any idea as to what it might be? Maybe obstruction of the airflow to the engine? Perhaps the filter needs to be cleaned? That is the only thing that I can think of. Any and all help will be much appreciated, I don't want her to blow up while I'm riding as she is my only form of transportation right now after my car got totaled.
dtlam_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overheating cause? theManofRussia General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 08-30-2014 02:11 PM
bike overheating texasboy713 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 08-28-2010 07:49 PM
bike overheating already limp ninja How To's and Q & A's 15 12-18-2009 06:21 PM
600rr overheating! AYEELE General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-09-2007 08:39 PM
bike overheating! CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 09-29-2005 08:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
aboo007

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2014 CB1000R Black/Gold
'04 ZX636R (sold)
07' Honda CBR 600rr
07' Honda 919 (sold)
04' Suzuki Intruder (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to aboo007
dude thats normal... i had an 07 cbr and the temp.. will sometimes reach as high as 222 and start go down again... once the fan comes on. just my thought.

and ofcourse its super hot outside.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlam_88 View Post
I have an 03 600rr. She has roughly 10k miles on her and the only mods are a two bros slip on, pc3, and k&n air filter. She has been laid down once about a year ago but repairs were done by Motorcycles Unlimited. A couple of weeks ago I had to jump start her, did it with the car running, and she picked up instantly. Last week I had to jump her again but to no avail, with the car running. I replaced the battery and she picked up just fine. Normally at highway speeds of about 70-80mph she stays at a constant 170-173 temp. After the first jump I noticed the temperature go to a stead 180. Today, with same speeds, she went up to a high of 201 on highway speeds. I checked the coolant and oil levels and they are perfectly fine. Is there any idea as to what it might be? Maybe obstruction of the airflow to the engine? Perhaps the filter needs to be cleaned? That is the only thing that I can think of. Any and all help will be much appreciated, I don't want her to blow up while I'm riding as she is my only form of transportation right now after my car got totaled.
Wind direction makes a big difference I've noticed on my '09
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
dtlam_88
Noob

Bike(s):
03 600RR

Send a message via AIM to dtlam_88 Send a message via Yahoo to dtlam_88
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboo007 View Post
dude thats normal... i had an 07 cbr and the temp.. will sometimes reach as high as 222 and start go down again... once the fan comes on. just my thought.

and ofcourse its super hot outside.
but will it be that high while riding? I know it will get that high at a light, but never been that high while I was actually moving. I thought about the heat too....
dtlam_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Shinyman

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

My 06 cbr1000r runs about 180 or high right now, its just normal the heat isn't helping but thats not that high. I've had it run 200-210 before and no problems.
Shinyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Now that the summer heat has arrived, those temps aren't way out of line but they are a little high.
A couple things to look at, check cooling fan, could be a blown fuse.
Thermostat could have gone bad.

Avoid jump starting your bike, especially from a car. It can cause many troubles. It will work and extra caution is a good idea, but it's best to avoid it.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
All I can say is that if you flush your coolant, I'd recommend replacing it with Supercool. They carry it at Cycle gear and its proved to work really good for me.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Now that the summer heat has arrived, those temps aren't way out of line but they are a little high.
A couple things to look at, check cooling fan, could be a blown fuse.
Thermostat could have gone bad.

Avoid jump starting your bike, especially from a car. It can cause many troubles. It will work and extra caution is a good idea, but it's best to avoid it.
that would be my guess

as stated your temps are abnormally high for the temps we face here in houston...my R6 will hit 230 sitting in traffic as soon as i get moving it drops to 185-190
SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement