MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #41
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjecTMX View Post
Well I finally got the bike over a year later! haha

Just brought it home today! Traded in a 2010 Dyna WideGlide. Its like going from a 1987 Cadillac to a brand new Ferrari. Slightly different...

Very nice bike indeed......

Did you buy gear? If so what did you get?

Did you take MSF?

Gear up and enjoy your new ride.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on first bike. BowserFB09 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 06-10-2014 02:09 AM
Need Advice on a bike. Mr.D General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 07-05-2010 12:30 PM
Looking for advice on a new bike gt-stunter Stunters Lounge 21 02-10-2010 08:13 PM
Moving Bike Advice specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 06-06-2008 06:31 PM
new bike advice! nvydis Forum Updates & Feedback 5 05-25-2008 08:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #42
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

I only read about half the responces, and I have been drinking as usuall.
but I have read many threads on same topic.

This is a matter of self disapline your attidued and abilities and depth of pocket.
Todays 600s are real screamers and you can quickly get in trouble.

I would suggest a more DISPOSABLE bike with a more relaxed acceleration envelope to learn on.

I just traded in a 2005 Katana 750 at Wild West Honda in excellent condition, its still there. and there is another on for sale on this site.

This bike is a great first bike (Read the articles on it ) it is not nearly as responsive or as powerful as the new 600. it is rated at 93HP and your brain can handle the accelleration it was the high performance bike prior to the GSXR

You will get all the thrills and learn, and it should be more than a year before you out grow it. your investment would be less than 1/3 rd of the R6 and easy to insure.

Hey the new bikes are only getting better. Pick up a DISPOSABLE to learn on.

and get an 2012 R6 you will be sure by then if this sorpt is for you.

Or throw caution to the wind and jump in near the deep end with the R6, wear the gear and pray it does not hurt.

Best of luck.
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #43
ProjecTMX

Feedback Rating: (1)

Is everyone on this site just negative or what. Jesus...
ProjecTMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #44
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Not everyone...

I say get what you want and what you like....

Now i can vouch for allot of riders on this forum that we have ALL lost allot of good friends and had to attend funerals of some. Be careful, ride safe and have fun... Gear up and keep the shiny side up....

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #45
bb4lif

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha yzf-Rsexy-SOLD-
2007 GSXR-750

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhu2818 View Post
The r6 is a great bike and absolutely gorgeous, but starting on it is a terrible idea.
my first bike is an R6, so the bike is not the problem it's the rider.
bb4lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #46
bb4lif

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha yzf-Rsexy-SOLD-
2007 GSXR-750

Quote:
the R6 is def fast, beautiful and stable. so it's all about you bro, from experience; respect the bike, the road, know your limits and pay close attention to every single moving thing out there, other than that you are good to go.
bb4lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #47
tearrep7
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Send a message via AIM to tearrep7
User is banned

tearrep7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #48
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

Quote:
why would you ask complete strangers for information about "YOUR" first bike?
most don't know from shinola, nobody knows you or your riding habits so recommending a bike is pointless, if you see something you like, then buy it and just be careful, only you can prove them wrong, good luck with your choice, and for the record my first bike was a 1970 Kawasaki 500 3 cylinder 2 stroke, now there is a steep learning curve

Last edited by dinosaur; 09-30-2010 at 10:02 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #49
ProjecTMX

Cool guys, I'm going to pick up a riding jacket and some gloves today. Thinking about getting a nice leather jacket since it'll be getting cooler soon.

Where do most of you guys shop around Houston? Cycle gear? Anywhere else?

C.Hern- I'm going to be taking the MSF at San Jacinto college. Going to talk to them today about signing up.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #50
quicksaveme

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

I wish members would answer his question about any questionable known problems with the motorcycle he's looking at, rather than his life choices.

Get what ever bike you would like OP. I bought an R1 as my first bike, and as there is no right or wrong answer to buying a motorcycle, just pick the one YOU like because nobody else is going to be riding it. It's not our duty to coach you through life, but if you ask for help on a motorcycle forum I would at least hope you get it, instead of opinions on how your selection is a bad idea

Great bike. I had an '07 that had no issues what to ever. I can't speak for the '09 but I would assume it's going to be a safe buy, especially coming from a dealer and I haven't read about any known issues for the R6 either.

Good luck on your buy!
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #51
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

You might be fine you might not. It's motorcycling, not tennis. Anyways, a better way to address the question is what kind of riding do you plan on doing with the bike? An R6 is a pretty focused bike. Will probably make you happy but depending on what kind of riding you plan on doing there might be bikes that will make you happier. If you're mixing it up between commuting, twisties, etc. you might want to look into some naked bikes. They handle just as well as sportbikes but are way more comfortable. I honestly don't understand how people who ride street have sportbikes as their only bike (anyone who has not owned a naked need not chime in. LOL). Yeah they're fun but for riding in Houston on the street all day they suck . If you are just going to "bike nights" and trying to kill yourself on Sunday mornings then it may work.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #52
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
You might be fine you might not. It's motorcycling, not tennis. Anyways, a better way to address the question is what kind of riding do you plan on doing with the bike? An R6 is a pretty focused bike. Will probably make you happy but depending on what kind of riding you plan on doing there might be bikes that will make you happier. If you're mixing it up between commuting, twisties, etc. you might want to look into some naked bikes. They handle just as well as sportbikes but are way more comfortable. I honestly don't understand how people who ride street have sportbikes as their only bike (anyone who has not owned a naked need not chime in. LOL). Yeah they're fun but for riding in Houston on the street all day they suck . If you are just going to "bike nights" and trying to kill yourself on Sunday mornings then it may work.
Pretty accurate.

OP he's right in the sense that a sportbike is NOT comfortable for street riding. People will claim theirs is, but the majority of the time that isn't true. They build these bikes for the race track in mind. You will for sure experience sore: back, arms, hands when riding on a sportbike for long periods of time. Even if you try to keep good positioning, it takes too much effort for a sport bike, when you are riding every day to keep a comfortable position.

My Monster, for example, will make turns look like jokes and I can ride it all day long because of how comfortable it is. Just food for thought
Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #53
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Cool guys, I'm going to pick up a riding jacket and some gloves today. Thinking about getting a nice leather jacket since it'll be getting cooler soon.

Where do most of you guys shop around Houston? Cycle gear? Anywhere else?

C.Hern- I'm going to be taking the MSF at San Jacinto college. Going to talk to them today about signing up.
I bought my first jacket from Cycle Gear, and my last two I bought VERY slightly used off either here or Houston Imports bike section. Got almost new $400 leather jackets for $150. Several forum sponsors offer great deals, and several online stores have closeouts right now as long as you don't mind the style and can fit into whatever remaining size(s) they have left.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #54
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Motorcycles Unlimited has a great selection and can order whatever you want.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #55
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Once you get your license you should just go on a test driving spree. I would suggest the Triumph Street Triple R. That thing is bad . It is a Daytona 675 only more comfortable. The triple engine has more torque than the Japanese bikes and the R version has the same spec suspension as the Daytona. With the upright bars you can manhandle that thing. Commuting, twisties, track, whatever you want to do with it. Plus the exhaust note on the Triumph triples is sick. Throaty and sounds like it has a mini supercharger on it. The inline four 600s sound like a whiny .
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #56
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
My first bike was a kanatuna 600..great learning bike! Rode it for a year until my two best friends (both new riders).. bought a zx6 the other zx9 ningas...need less to say i got rid of mine asap...dont waste your money on buying something you dont want...

All I ask is that you respect the bike, beware of you surroundings,get the gear
(always wear it) The MSF course is a plus as well .
Well said .
Old 10-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #57
ProjecTMX

I've already bought the R6. I brought it home yesterday and have been riding it ALL day today! Its a huge difference over the Harley I had.

Honestly I feel more confident on the R6 just b/c I'm confident in its ability to maneuver and brake. Its so nimble compared to my Harley. I know thats obvious of course but its a night and day difference. Once I got used to the controls and sitting position the bike was automatically without a doubt more fun to ride. The bike can get a person in trouble no doubt, but in the same re guard to its performance it can get you out of trouble just as well.

quicksaveme- I'm really happy with it so far but I know what you mean about sore arms. The position causes me to put a lot of weight forward and mostly concentrated on my arms, forearms. Every so often I have to shake my hands and arms out when riding b/c they get a little stiff. I'm sure I'll get used to it and the fact that I work out everyday probably doesn't help. I'm going to change up my workout routine and stretch a little more so hopefully that helps.

Anyway all in all the bikes great. Couldn't be happier.

Jon
Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #58
yeraboof
( . v . )

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'06 GSX-R 600

STX cycles on 290 is having a liquidation sale. I got a awesome deal on a suit there this morning.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #59
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Awesome!
Congrats man!! You will do either one of two things with the arm:

1. Get used to it

2. Subconsciously find a new position that eases the stress on your arms

so in that sense I wouldn't stress it too much, there are tons of supersport riders on the streets obviously so it's not a make/break deal for most people

Ride safe brother! Hope to see you around.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #60
ProjecTMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeraboof View Post
STX cycles on 290 is having a liquidation sale. I got a awesome deal on a suit there this morning.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to go check out there jackets.

Advertisement