MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #21
ProjecTMX

Feedback Rating: (1)

Well while I'm talking about this bike I'm getting. Let me know if the deal I'm being cut is that great a deal. Basically the msrp on the bike was $10190 but then you have to factor in tax, crate, blah, blah.

I'm going to be getting the bike at $10190 out the door with all the taxes included in that price. Sound like a good deal or are there better deals out there? I'm basically buying the bike at cost which is around $8500 I think, then adding in the taxes, crate, ect.

What do you think?
ProjecTMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on first bike. BowserFB09 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 06-10-2014 02:09 AM
Need Advice on a bike. Mr.D General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 07-05-2010 12:30 PM
Looking for advice on a new bike gt-stunter Stunters Lounge 21 02-10-2010 08:13 PM
Moving Bike Advice specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 06-06-2008 06:31 PM
new bike advice! nvydis Forum Updates & Feedback 5 05-25-2008 08:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #22
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

cars are really easy. dont run into stuff and you are pretty much ok. bikes are crazy. dont brake or shift gears while you are turning- do that stuff before you turn. you cant easily flip a car over, but it's nothing to lowside on a sport bike. oil and water are also pretty intimidating. oh man, falling in some sand is crazy, too. a 750 hp vette is cool and all, but you can be merged into by an oblivious car driver on the phone. and it happens so quickly.

anyways, im sure you are not an old geezer. probably under at least 50, hmm? you potentially have a long life ahead of you. taking a year of that time to train yourself on an easier bike will be no time at all.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #23
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
i started on a 600 im doing decent i would think. Its not the starting on a fast bike that gets to me, its the riding in houston traffic that does.

I went down today, had nothing to do with me only riding for about 5 months its the people in cages you have to worry about.
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #24
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjecTMX View Post
What do you think?
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1213488523.html
i think if you are just in love with the r6, save some money and buy a nice looking used r6 for half the price of a new one.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #25
CassieC

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2007 R6 (sold)

Quote:
Ya well I guess you have to look at who's saying that kinda thing too. I know myself and know I aint out to prove anything. Just want to enjoy riding a bike.

I don't see why your so harsh on the topic. I buy what I like, I like the R6. Doesn't mean I'm going to "race" it around town just because its capable.

I just last week sold a 750+hp vette. But just because I had the power didn't mean I was out drifting every turn or drag racing every straight. I just drove it. But since it was a sports car should I have started out with a automatic V6 mustang?
exactly
CassieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #26
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
some of us would consider 4-8mos riding still starting.
I ride a r6, first bike a r1. I've been riding for about a year, and I bet I'll drag your on the track. Oh by the way, no MSF either, don't plan on it either.....
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #27
CBRguyIZcool

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

daaaaaaammmnn thats fighting words ed !
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #28
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRguyIZcool View Post
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #29
ProjecTMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
cars are really easy. dont run into stuff and you are pretty much ok. bikes are crazy. dont brake or shift gears while you are turning- do that stuff before you turn. you cant easily flip a car over, but it's nothing to lowside on a sport bike. oil and water are also pretty intimidating. oh man, falling in some sand is crazy, too. a 750 hp vette is cool and all, but you can be merged into by an oblivious car driver on the phone. and it happens so quickly.

anyways, im sure you are not an old geezer. probably under at least 50, hmm? you potentially have a long life ahead of you. taking a year of that time to train yourself on an easier bike will be no time at all.

Well I was using the vette more as a metaphor that just because I had it, didn't mean I abused it type deal.

I understand the potential added risk in riding a motorcycle compared to driving a car. I was just trying to get my point across that even though its considered a "race bike" didn't mean I was going to try and live up to its potential on the street. I like the way it looks, the styling, and it was really comfortable to me. I look forward to owning it if everything works out.

Jon

Last edited by ProjecTMX; 06-11-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #30
CBRguyIZcool

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

good luck on the bike !

im saving up my lunch money for a new cbr one day so far i got 80 dollars in quarters and dimes
Old 06-11-2009, 02:50 AM   #31
306 That Could
Chromed out 1100!!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi ZX-10R
2004 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Sold)

Jon, if you like the r6 get the r6 and dont worry about what people think, they arent riding it you are. While I would take most advise with a grain of salt just remember your the one riding it and take it easy until you get comfortable with it. I didnt start on a 250, 650 or a 600 for that matter but I still respect the bike and know how much trouble it cant get me in to because I know what its like drive something with real power. We know what its like to rip the throttle and have 140 come really quick but yes its all different cuz your on a bike.

Bottom line is you know what you can handle and thats what you should base your decision on.

Also, + a million on gear for street riding (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots) And They have perforated leather jackets as well as mesh jackets that provide a pretty good mixture of protection and comfort. If moneys not an option then def a perforated leather jacket. I would def. get some boots too as those are probably going to be my next purchase.

Just my .02
306 That Could is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #32
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRguyIZcool View Post
and if i were in my 20's w/ little skills and swoll heads, i might take him up on the challenge. but i'm not so it just rolls off.......

for those that "made it" after 4-8 mos, you've not "made it" you just began.

there's a reason 600SS ins. is so high, it ain't cuz they don't crash.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #33
sangria7

Bike(s):
Suzuki M50

Member Garage

Quote:
Ya well I guess you have to look at who's saying that kinda thing too. I know myself and know I aint out to prove anything. Just want to enjoy riding a bike.

I don't see why your so harsh on the topic. I buy what I like, I like the R6. Doesn't mean I'm going to "race" it around town just because its capable.

I just last week sold a 750+hp vette. But just because I had the power didn't mean I was out drifting every turn or drag racing every straight. I just drove it. But since it was a sports car should I have started out with a automatic V6 mustang?
Take the MSF and research some more http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/
sangria7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #34
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

I say get what you want. You are the one riding it. Personally i would buy a used one for the 1st bike. Save some money. Get all your gear as well. I ride with a textile jacket in the summer and leather in winter, A* boots, gloves and helmet. Spend the money and get the gear before you even throw your leg over the bike. I know Racerx sounds like he is harping on you but read some on the biker down threads. It is not the riders fault, most of the times, it is the dumb that dont see you or are not paying attention. If you have self control the you will be fine. Gear up, ride safe and spend some time on backroads. Have fun

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #35
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Well while I'm talking about this bike I'm getting. Let me know if the deal I'm being cut is that great a deal. Basically the msrp on the bike was $10190 but then you have to factor in tax, crate, blah, blah.

I'm going to be getting the bike at $10190 out the door with all the taxes included in that price. Sound like a good deal or are there better deals out there? I'm basically buying the bike at cost which is around $8500 I think, then adding in the taxes, crate, ect.

What do you think?
Several folks have mentioned buying a used bike. As a first bike, buying used is a great idea. A low miles, used bike, say an '07 or an '08. Let somebody else pay the first 3 thousand in depreciation. Insurance will be cheaper. If you drop the bike, as many newer riders do, you won't feel quite as bad.

BTW, more on gear: I soft pedaled the comment on knee protection when, in fact, I should have emphasized it. I can't count the number of people who have gone down in helmets, jackets, gloves, and boots, only to end up in the emergency room with significant knee injuries. Knee pads are only $25.00 and most of the fast guys you'll encounter on the street or the back roads wear them. You just can't tell under the jeans.

-Curt

Last edited by maxgs; 06-11-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #36
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

is ins. really cheaper if you buy a used '08 SS bike vs a new '08 SS bike?

i'm betting he still can't afford full coverage ins. at $5-6k a yr on either.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #37
puertorico600r

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
R6

I started out on a kawi zx7r than after a year or so of riding i sold it and now i own a honda 600rr and its a great bike with tons of power, every bike is fast and dangerous its all up to you how you ride it. Im 27 and my full coverage on my bike is only 90 a month and my driving record isnt the best so get what you want and becareful
puertorico600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #38
CBRguyIZcool

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
and if i were in my 20's w/ little skills and swoll heads, i might take him up on the challenge. but i'm not so it just rolls off.......

for those that "made it" after 4-8 mos, you've not "made it" you just began.

there's a reason 600SS ins. is so high, it ain't cuz they don't crash.
jeeeeez i was only kidding Edward why you gotta be so sassy all the time lighten up buddy. Someone needs a massage !
Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #39
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

wife's going to 1 before lunch......lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #40
ProjecTMX

Well I finally got the bike over a year later! haha

Just brought it home today! Traded in a 2010 Dyna WideGlide. Its like going from a 1987 Cadillac to a brand new Ferrari. Slightly different...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	39010  

Last edited by ProjecTMX; 09-30-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Advertisement