Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #41
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Unlike Motocross tracks, road courses take much more land area. Take for instance GSS which is probably the smallest area of any track I've been to- it's about 20- 25 acres. How much do you think 25 acres costs in say, Needville or Beasly (out in the "boonies")? If you say $300+, you'd be right and it's about as "cheap" as you'll find for un-improved cotton land with no gas/ water/ sewer/ etc.

You must secure the permits- not very expensive but sometimes hard to get.

Next you have to secure a competent contractor, grade the land, lay the foundation layer because most land "in the boonies" is farm land or pasture land and it's not conducive to just throwing out some rock and laying pavement (just ask the Mercedes Benz Course in Angleton, they had to re-pave in the infancy of the track's life and still there are pavement issues there as did Eagle's Canyon). You've also got to consider trying to recruit folks to rent/ buy garages and memberships so you can try to pay the bills once this place is built, especially since you're doing this on the cheap. Also since you want to do it inexpensively, you won't be able to add elevation to the course so you'll get a flat track like GSS and Mercedes Benz Angleton- without elevation and camber, it'll be harder to get folks to be eager to take on a membership since the track won't be as interesting or challenging than some of the other tracks that are in the area (Cresson, H2R, TWS (Texas World Speedway), etc).

After the foundation has settled, now you can pave. You have to have the right asphalt, just laying the stuff that is used for rural roads won't work. While all of this is getting done, you're having to pay the contractors, material, pay for the land, insurance, etc...

Now bring in the gas/ water/ sewer/ etc...

Now let's say you actually get pavement down. Now you have to wait until the surface cures which some contractors speculate may not happen for another year to be done properly (again, ask Merceds Benz, ECR). Getting on the track early can have consequences with the pavement.

But if you can do all that for a few hundred K, I'd be up in line to rent/ buy a membership there

Don't forget, at a facility like a road course, you have to maintain the place, fix the pavement every once in a while, pay employees, advertise, attract events, etc. Not to mention insurance. OMG insurance!

Track rental is just one portion of the cost for TD orgs, insurance is usually the killer!

At LSTD, we've been very fortunate for the past 9 years to enjoy a fantastic relationship with the tracks we rent from because we pay our bills on time, we work with the owners, we do what we're supposed to do and follow the rules, and when we come to a facility we're very low-maintenance. That all translates to an advantage to our customers because we're able to schedule dates that work/ are popular and a great experience to them. Then there's our staff... they're our bread-n-butter Best staff with instruction and operations bar none! Not to mention the experience our folks have, second to none!

So if you can do all this and build this track and only charge $15/ head, man, I'd be right up there in line as a customer.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TTD cdill35 Off Topic 49 12-22-2009 10:07 AM
Track Day Schedule Conflicts - What is the deal? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 20 06-07-2009 11:32 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #42
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slocbr View Post
not necessarily. my buddy opened a motox park in splendora a while back and spent $1.4mil on just the land w/o development. im sure i could build a road course for $1.4 in the boonies like... angleton maybe.
I live in Splendora... which track is your buddies?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #43
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I thought you could pick up, unimproved, NOT frwy frontage property, in the boonies, for 5k/acre at the most?

I need to take another look at land value I guess.

It's not so much the land though...it's the pavement I would assume that is the bulk of the expense.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #44
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I thought you could pick up, unimproved, NOT frwy frontage property, in the boonies, for 5k/acre at the most?
Check HAR or CAD, 5k/ acre is tough to find these days although with the economy those days may return.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #45
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #46
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slocbr View Post
The one right off 59 with the two freestyle jumps in front. Belongs to this yoyo.
I pass it everyday. I live off of Fostoria... been in Splendora since 1982
Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #47
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #48
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #49
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #50
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

GSS sits on half of 89 acres.

Well, Coming from experience,

I urge you to build one. It sounds like you can make it happen, and another track in the area, would always be nice..

Just saying. Its not what its cracked up to be and there is A LOT of polotics involved. A ALOT of whiners and bitchy people. lol
Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #51
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Just saying. Its not what its cracked up to be and there is A LOT of polotics involved. A ALOT of whiners and bitchy people. lol
aint that the truth

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
Closed Thread