MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
675Trifecta
Sup Kid?!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Triumph Daytona 675
1979 Suzuki Enduro 125
1980 Honda XR80
1980 Honda CR90
1980's Briggs and Stratton powered mini-bike

Member Garage

In response to recent events

So in case you haven't heard yet,
I was involved in a really bad accident on December 7th. Without too much detail, here's what happened: I was back in town for the holidays and on my way to my parents' house around midnight that Saturday night after dinner and a movie with some friends in Wichita Falls. The night was cold and I was riding through a construction area where I lost traction along some gravel in the road and laid my bike down. I slid to a stop and I was fine until an 18 wheeler was unable to stop and he ran over the right side of my body. It crushed my elbow, ankle and foot, dislocated several joints, and internally amputated (de-gloved) my leg from mid-thigh down to toes which destroyed most of the soft-tissue (skin, muscles, tendons, ligaments,etc.).
Amputation of my leg was imminent. The blue line was drawn. But after some work, a pulse in my foot was found, and the decision was made to tryto save my leg. I'm grateful to have the wonderful team of doctors working so hard and taking a personal interest in my case. They are amazed at how I am recovering. Thanks to your prayers and support I have remained strong and I fought my way out of the ICU and out of the hospital. There is still a LONG recovery ahead and several more surgeries and rehab to go (I've already had 8, totaling more than 20 hours and $500,000). I will not be able to walk on my own for some time and I'll be living with my parents through my recovery. Hopefully I'll recover and be able to participate in some of activities I used to. You all know how active I am. In response to these events,

Here are my thoughts on life...

We live our lives day to day to day going through the motions. We wake up, eat breakfast, go to work or school, eat lunch, go back to work or school, then get out and go home. We eat dinner, watch some tv and then go to bed just to start another day doing the same thing over, and over again. It's all routine, and you all know it. But we don't dare change any of it because we're all afraid of change. We forget about our dreams, and those great moments when we were at our best. We forget what it's like to start fresh again. People (especially Americans) take their lifestyles and freedoms for granted to the extent that they live like zombies. We work to pay the bills and we worry about the economy failing. Then, someone or something throws a stick in our spokes. So, now what do we do?
Change,...
An optimist will say that change is good, however, another might say change is bad. Through my life experiences, I tend to lean toward the optimist side. And it's the way to be. I like to think that all change is good because you get an opportunity to learn something new about yourself and the world around you. Even as I sit here in my wheelchair with my leg bandaged and propped up, metal in my arm, and half a million in medical debt, I can say that I still have a bright future. Even as I know I may not ever run and play sports or even walk right, I can still say that I have a bright future. I see this because I have learned from my experiences and I can take that with me through life and show others that they too can be optimistic about the future. You still have your life, and your friends and family. In hard times, you really find out who is backing you. But, change is inevitable, and when it happens, it is up to you to decide what to do with it. Take responsibility and work your way through it. Don't be afraid of what may come of it. Face your fears, and if there is something difficult in your way, get over it. One of my music instructors used to say "Figure it out!". That is one of my favorite sayings, right next to "Just do it". And that's exactly what you have to do.
Be spontaneous...
Go out and treat yourself to something different every once in a while. That doesn't mean order something different off of the menu. It means do something totally our of the norm. Go hiking, camping, or do something crazy that you wouldn't normally do (try skydiving). Take on a new hobby or take a trip somewhere. Every now and then you should do something random for someone special and for a complete stranger. Help a stranded motorist. We're all here in this world together and we can all relate in one way or another. Meet someone new. Just introduce yourself to someone , not because they appeal to you, but because you want to broaden your relationships in the community. Next time you're standing in line at the supermarket, pass the time by talking to your fellow shoppers. You'll never know what you might gain from it. A good conversation starter would be to look at what they are buying and ask a curious question about it, even if you already know the answer. Most of all, Steal from people. No, no,... not THAT kind of stealing. What I mean is talk to them, ask them questions and take with you what they have learned in life so that you may use it for yourself! This is a valuable knowledge gaining strategy that I've been using for years. There's a wealth of knowledge out there, you just have to seek it.
Don't EVER sell yourself short...
If you want to do something, don't hesitate, "Just DO it"! There's that slogan again. I'm serious! The number one cause of traffic accidents is someone hesitated before making a move. Growing up as a musician, I really wanted to participate in a DCI drum and bugle corps. I knew who was my favorite, (The Cavaliers) but I knew there was no way I could EVER do that. I thought maybe I would settle for a lesser group, but even then felt inferior. One day I built up the courage to audition for the Cavaliers, who had just won the DCI world championships. I went to Chicago and into the audition with the mindset that I'm going to give it my best. And if I fail, then at least I can say I gave it a shot and I'll learn what it takes by listening and watching others. In the end, the audition was successful and it changed my life forever. I earned the opportunity to tour the US three times, and Japan four times, once with the Broadway spectacle Blast II MIX. I've experienced more in my teenage years than most experience in a lifetime all because I gave myself a chance. If I had waited one more day, it would not have happened at all.
These are words that I wish everyone could read. If you have kept up with me, you know that right now and over the last six months, I have struggled to regain use of my limbs after a major accident. I have taken on this new challenge with this mindset. I have stumped all of my doctors, surgeons, therapists, and other medical professionals in my recovery. I was not expected to be able to stand on two of my own feet for over a year and already I have taken many steps. We have a life to live. Live it to the fullest! NEVER take anything for granted, so take all and leave nothing! Trust me, if I can do it,... YOU can do it too!

These are words from my heart. Please pass it on. This note belongs to everyone. Live on...
Jeff Waldmuller

To fellow motorcyclists : WEAR YOUR GEAR!
I was covered in padded race-oriented gear from head-to-toe. It's saved my life. Take the time to suit up. Gearing up takes a couple of minutes, and it could save you and your loved ones a lifetime of pain.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any recent Dullas grads RACER X Off Topic 51 06-04-2015 12:40 PM
recent accomplishment NgaWhat Health and Fitness 0 10-20-2011 08:40 PM
My recent trip to Mexico. hotcknstrips Off Topic 6 08-15-2009 08:33 PM
TTD - Recent events and reactions to them on the boards Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 7 08-06-2009 09:04 AM
In response to past present and future events 675Trifecta General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-09-2009 04:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Wow, glad you are ok man.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
sofa

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
02 sv650
honda 919

I appreciate the writing man.
sofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675Trifecta View Post
We live our lives day to day to day going through the motions. We wake up, eat breakfast, go to work or school, eat lunch, go back to work or school, then get out and go home. We eat dinner, watch some tv and then go to bed just to start another day doing the same thing over, and over again. It's all routine, and you all know it. But we don't dare change any of it because we're all afraid of change. We forget about our dreams, and those great moments when we were at our best. We forget what it's like to start fresh again. People (especially Americans) take their lifestyles and freedoms for granted to the extent that they live like zombies. We work to pay the bills and we worry about the economy failing. Then, someone or something throws a stick in our spokes. So, now what do we do?
Change,...
isnt that the truth !!!! jeff im so happy youre alive....i missed getting to see you when you came down to visit...when will you be back????
Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
QTip

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 'S'

Thank you for sharing your story and your thoughts. Glad you made it through, and my thoughts are with you through your recovery!
QTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

great read, thanks.....
Old 06-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

wow man i remember your story from back when, wish you best of luck and you wrote a great story on your thoughts of life
Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

i remember that story, glad to hear everything is going good for you and that you remain an optimist.. that can be hard to come by now adays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTip View Post
Thank you for sharing your story and your thoughts. Glad you made it through, and my thoughts are with you through your recovery!
+1

godspeed man...ill be praying for you

i hope you have a speedy recovery
SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
skmart2
Stephanie

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

good to hear that you've remained positive and are continuing to make great strides with your recovery!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

thanks for sharing your story....
Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
thecrow

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2003 R6

I love the Cavaliers and Blast. It is really cool to hear that you were able to do tat; especially Blast.

I will pray for you to recover quickly.
thecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

dude...and here I am about not being able to bend my pinky after a month. You have an amazing attitude towards life. I hope that every thing works out for you and in the end you come out as strong as ever.

So what did you play in drum corp/blast? I played trumpet through most of college, but never really put out the effort to become that good. I saw a Blast tape a couple times in HS...that was some really amazing stuff.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
cyrick21
RIP Coach Dave

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1999 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Track)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (Sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to cyrick21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
wow...
Have to agree..

Great outlook man.... Wish you the best in your recovery.

http://cyrick21.mybrute.com/
cyrick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

I'm happy to hear that you are optimistic about your life. There are so many things that make life worth living.

My daughter lost a lot of soft tissue in her lower left leg three years ago. Her foot dropped and achilles tightened, so she can't flex her foot to flat anymore. She can't jump high or run fast. She's not as athletic as she once way- she'll never be the star of her soccer team again (she was previously invited to play on the boys' team). She spent 21 days in the hospital. She's had nine surgeries, and still has pins in both her ankles and her legs are growing at different rates now. It was over six months before she would even put weight on that leg.

She had a muscle flap transfer and skin grafts (I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about). Her dr is AMAZING- he saved her leg, too.

BUT she's happy and healthy and can get around fine now. She's 12, and popular in school, and a good student.

I would love for her to meet you. She is very interested in people who have similar injuries as hers, and she is not shy about sharing her story as well as her difficulties.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #17
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Great read. Cheers.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Great post!

I always say "Just DO it, you can always say later... dang, shouldn't have done THAT!" lol

and +1 on the gear, everyone who had a crash knows how valuable it is. I am always fully geared up when I get out. Gear saved my life when I had the wreck at the track.

I am glad you are okay and recovering the way you do. Kudos to you for your spirit and may you be an example to all of us!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
ajax40
forever is never

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 CBR600RR

Inspiring words and much appreciated.

I am going through some life changes at the moment and your story puts things into perspective.

thanks again
Old 06-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

It takes courage to face the things you have had to face in the last few months, and it takes courage to say what you feel inside.
Thanks for sharing, we all need to be reminded from time to time how fortunate we are to be healthy, to be alive.

Gear up my friends, it's a long ride and sometimes it gets bumpy.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement