Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Gixxerkart vs Gixxer Track Race

Gixxerkart vs Gixxer( or any motogp bike)

Like to see a video, only one is gixxerkart vs dodge viper.

What would you wager on? Close to same power to weight ratio, but with 2 more wheels and lower center of gravity would make me bet on the gixxerkart.....

comments or links to a video describing this? I can't find one.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When you made your street bike "TRACK ONLY" why did u buy track/race body work? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 51 10-17-2008 01:19 PM
Gixxerkart lump9 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-27-2007 09:22 AM
New Race Track! tschreck General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 10-06-2006 10:58 AM
new race track in hou. TWISTED METAL General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-12-2006 09:47 PM
race track wreck... TWISTED METAL General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 05-14-2006 08:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

btw, i think karts can pull a little in excess of 3g's twice that of a bike ... i think. So that's where I make my bet on the gixxerkart.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
philly fresh
im infamous *****es!!

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07' R6

Send a message via AIM to philly fresh
Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
philly fresh
im infamous *****es!!

Bike(s):
07' R6

i used to race karts. and on the katy track you could get 3.2gs. lots of fun
Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

really? So did you do shifters? As a experinced rider, well... 2 years ... who was ready to start some beginning track days but didn't get too... if I got a kart would it really be better to get a single gear taG kart to start with, 125cc, or get a 125cc shifter and the bike skills could be a "bit" transferrable?

What do you think? Would I be a better driver starting with a single speed (they still are FAST), or shifter?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
philly fresh
im infamous *****es!!

Bike(s):
07' R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
really? So did you do shifters? As a experinced rider, well... 2 years ... who was ready to start some beginning track days but didn't get too... if I got a kart would it really be better to get a single gear taG kart to start with, 125cc, or get a 125cc shifter and the bike skills could be a "bit" transferrable?

What do you think? Would I be a better driver starting with a single speed (they still are FAST), or shifter?

on the katy track i think they are running 6-7 secs faster. a tag kart will ultimately make you a faster driver. you have to stay smooth to go fast. with a shifter you can **** up and make it up with shifting gears. tag karts will usually have a better turn out and the costs are kept way way down. shifters will cost you about 5k more for a new one. and about the the only thing transferable is the race line. you are shifting way to fast for it to compare to a bike. once the economy straightens out again ill be getting me another kart. will still be racing the tag class. shifter class is about whos got the most money. changing out pistons every race to get that 1/10 sec.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
I used to race southwest road racing association or swra.. and we would put down faster laptimes than any bike or car.. it just got so expensive racing shifter karts because a movement of italians that were full factory racers would rebuild top end every 40 laps or so.. plus your tires and 500 dollar a weekend entry fees.. I just couldn't afford to stay competitive.. but it was a great time I remember running down chicken hill at oak hill pulling 3 gs in the hard right hander.. that's what got me back into track days was finding out I could take a bike out to the same tracks that I grew up racing.. its a lot of fun but added up fast..
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
philly fresh
im infamous *****es!!

Bike(s):
07' R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
I used to race southwest road racing association or swra.. and we would put down faster laptimes than any bike or car.. it just got so expensive racing shifter karts because a movement of italians that were full factory racers would rebuild top end every 40 laps or so.. plus your tires and 500 dollar a weekend entry fees.. I just couldn't afford to stay competitive.. but it was a great time I remember running down chicken hill at oak hill pulling 3 gs in the hard right hander.. that's what got me back into track days was finding out I could take a bike out to the same tracks that I grew up racing.. its a lot of fun but added up fast..

yeah thats the part that most people that get into the sport dont consider. and thats if everything goes good. lets not lock up the motor and have to have it split and do a complete rebuild. for the op thats why they made the TAG class. helps people stay within a budget. also look at racing a rotax class. might be something you may like. 3gs in a kart is something you will not experience anywhere else on this earth. nothing for 5k will accelerate or out brake a kart. you will be hooked the moment you feel the traction it puts down at the speed your going. get a rib protector too. lol.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
yeah rotax was just introduced when I was getting out.. I loved the spec classes but with them building up the classes were smaller like the nemesis super karts which were amazing by the way there were only about 8 or 10 a class instead of 25 in the shifter classes.. that's the only reason I stayed in those classes to work through traffic even if I wasn't on the podium I could run with a pack and practice drafting that was worth it..
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
philly fresh
im infamous *****es!!

Bike(s):
07' R6

karting has def made me a better driver especially in the rain. my heart will always belong to karting. plus im a huge F1 fan.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

that's really interesting. i've been watching some videos and it must help develop your reactions cause I was thinking I would lose control at those speeds right now..

so starting with a 125cc TAG would be the best a beginning karter and still as much fun? Reason I ask is i think if they are cheaper I could eventually swing getting 2 so my wife would have something she could enjoy. I just don't see her riding with me, and I'm really moving more and more towards taking speed to the track.... it was meant for that.

comments and recommendations on 125cc TAG karts? I'd like some links if possible, my googling of course isn't turning up easy results, and its hard for me to tell which are TAG and which are shifter right away.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

is a TAG kart going to be cheaper for track days than a SV650? Crashes cost more on a bike I'd think, and more likely. See, I'm limited by budget and trying to find the biggest bang for the buck racing (no racing is cheap). Also, having a friend over from out of town, I can take them I'd assume to a local kart on a non race day and sign them up and race with them, whereas good luck on that with a motorcycle. Have to a lot more investment. They can just get in a TAG kart and go!

TAG about the lowest entry bang for the buck? Is it really much slower than a shifter?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
philly fresh
im infamous *****es!!

Bike(s):
07' R6

Quote:
that's really interesting. i've been watching some videos and it must help develop your reactions cause I was thinking I would lose control at those speeds right now..

so starting with a 125cc TAG would be the best a beginning karter and still as much fun? Reason I ask is i think if they are cheaper I could eventually swing getting 2 so my wife would have something she could enjoy. I just don't see her riding with me, and I'm really moving more and more towards taking speed to the track.... it was meant for that.

comments and recommendations on 125cc TAG karts? I'd like some links if possible, my googling of course isn't turning up easy results, and its hard for me to tell which are TAG and which are shifter right away.
for the least amount of money invested go with a tag kart. i had a birel and some models you can turn into shifters if you decide to go that route. if you are just getting into it buy used. 3gkartracing.com. they actually have a birel/leopard setup on sale for 3995. they are off of mason and I10. and what was told to me from the get go from alot of my lil bros sponsers. he races motorcross. is go to the races or where you will be racing and see what everyone else has. that will normally be what is avaliable at the races or locally. sucks when you have a motor that no one is running and no one has parts for that day.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
philly fresh
im infamous *****es!!

Bike(s):
07' R6

Quote:
is a TAG kart going to be cheaper for track days than a SV650? Crashes cost more on a bike I'd think, and more likely. See, I'm limited by budget and trying to find the biggest bang for the buck racing (no racing is cheap). Also, having a friend over from out of town, I can take them I'd assume to a local kart on a non race day and sign them up and race with them, whereas good luck on that with a motorcycle. Have to a lot more investment. They can just get in a TAG kart and go!

TAG about the lowest entry bang for the buck? Is it really much slower than a shifter?

not by much. but its a different kinda fast. you can just barrell into a turn and out shift people on a shifter. on a tag you have to set them up and be on the right line. its more about being smooth. but its fast real fast you just dont have the gears to play with. and a kart license is 275. and its not that much to race. practice is free. they give you the combo for the gate so you can go whenever the you want. you can even bring a friend. tires are about 200 installed and will last you alot of practices or 3-4 races. you can use pump gas or 98 which they sell there at like 10 bucks/gal. if you ride then you can use your riding jacket jeans and boots. if you need driving shoes i wear an 11 and have sparco racing boots and gloves for sale. you can use your existing helmet. it really is much cheaper than bikes but its still expensive. hit me up if you need any help.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

so expensive, but overall the cost is lower than full on racing with 600's, and that's not counting the crashes that can cost an arm and a leg to fix right?

Seems like a lower bar of entry meaning I could enjoy racing intensely, or take my wife or a friend out and have fun as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

btw, is there a KartHouston type of site, a good forum for Houston Kart racers that I could lurk and a learn from....
Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
jumpinfly
umm yea sure

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05' Harley Davidson 883XL low. Sold
06' R6 Raven, FOR SALE!!!!!

hello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
tyler doesnt wash his bike, he just paints it again.
jumpinfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
philly fresh
im infamous *****es!!

Bike(s):
07' R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
Or you could do tmgp racing, and for about 3500 you can get a nice bike, set it up, and pay for all your entry fees, leathers boots and helmet for a year. entry fees are maybe $120 a weekend if your race 8 sprints, and endurance.

and for $300 you can get a membership to the Katy track, and ride whenever you want. ( as long as you get there first.)
i think its 275 for karts and 40 bucks to race on the weekends. the little bike is probably alot cheaper but you will not get the excitement you do out of tmgp as you do karting. but it really depends on the kinda racing you want to do. tmgp is an option if you want to go that route.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #19
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

at 6-3, i'd like to avoid mini racing.. just not something i want to pursue. thanks for the tip though.

i would like a fiddy for stunting in parking lots... but have to prioitize.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
philly fresh
im infamous *****es!!

Bike(s):
07' R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
Are you freaking kidding me. Not get the excitement.

Its very obvious you either havnt done it. Or completely sucked when you did do it .

Its a **** load of fun. Cart racing is prob pretty fun to. But to say you dont get excitement out of being inches from some one eles, and some times trading paint.
you can accomplish the same with pitbike races. not knocking tmgp and no i havent done it. not that i didnt want to but because i knew i would like carting alot more. plus races are held there more often than tmgp. and for someone that wants to race frequently on the cheap yes a tag kart is the way to go. with over 18 local races just at that track plus the nationals and races held at MSRH you get to race more often. plus anyone can get in a kart and exp it. not everyone wants to drive around like donkey kong on a bike. again not knocking it just think karting is what he had in mind. if i had a mini moto yes i would race it.

Advertisement