Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

TEAM WAR RESULT FROM KATY-ROUND 3

First i want to thank Moe and TEAM WAR for allowing me to 'fill in' and experience the 'mini-lyfe'. It is as addicting, if not more than Big Bikes and definately the best bang for your buck when it comes to racing.

So Saturday was sunny and hot. yep it was pretty hot. I think I dehydrated myself. Could not even get up on time for Sunday's sprints

As a fill in rider, I still have the most experience on the team-since I am a total noob we rely on Moe alot.-buddy!

Luckily the bike was ready to race when i got there. I got to turn a couple laps for practice and noticed the shifter was loose. (insert off-road excursion here) no it was a planned off-road adventure. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to lose anything on the track. Came in fixed it and went back out. I was still not where I wanted to be, practice times were around 1 minute. Thats slow compared to the guys I was going to be on the track with. I wasn't worried too much. I knew I had sometime saved up for the race. Plus I had a while before i rode I could watch the faster guys and try to get some tips. I by no means wanted to crash in practice.

The first stint went off pretty good. we started on the fourth row. We were holding down second until rider "1" crashed pretty hard. his leathers were ripped where he went down and he suffered some road rash on the kneecap. Needless to say for other reasons his day was done. Down to three riders and a little over 3 hours to go.

The second rider did a great job of being consistent and putting in a good stint until due to a nasty pass in turn 1 caused a nasty crash. it took a while to get the bike back up and running. we lost a foot peg Luckily jeff Phillips had it and brought it to us. After some help from Moe and Mr. Harvey we were able to get back on the track. This time we were prolly in fourth. This rider was done for the day. down to 2 riders.

Rider number 3 put in a good 35 minutes of consistency. At this part of the race it was very competitive. Teams who were not where they wanted to be were pushing and every turn could be bumper bikes. I think rider number 3 seen this up close and personal and decided he was done for that session.

So, finally it was my turn. So after 2 plus hours of racing we were down 20+ laps from 3rd place. I knew we had a lot of racing left and was not exactly sure of our position but knew it did'nt look good. I felt I was faster than some of our competition so some consistent laps at a comfortable pace would tell me where is stood. No room for error and no time for mistakes. After the third hour of racing the results showed us to be in fourth place in our class down 22 laps

Good hard racing on mini's!!! WOW! What else can you say? This is like being a kid again, except the juices are flowing and you want to win, even if it means ushing some kid off the track ("OK, Focus Dean.")

I have in my sights the bike I am chasing. I catch him in the chicane right by the pits (T6 and 7?) Coning out of it I hammer the gas so I can pass him before the next chicane, except the bike didn;t like that. I the sealer patches were pretty slick and I was pushing the front pretty hard. I started to lost the front. After a few crashes my relfexes are becoming natural so I yank the bike straight up and down and get her back going straight. That allowed 3rd place to get away from me But not for long.

("OK Dean, don't push it too hard. it's and endurance race, put pressure on him and make him leave a lane for you.") well I did. I showed him my wheel a couple times in T3 and T4. Turn 4 is a slow right hander. I spoke with an expert earlier that day and he gave me some pointers on this turn. I didn't worry about it all day because its a slow turn, but his advice is about to come in to play here. I breaked early and hard. squared off the corner and was able to stay on the inside which put me outside going into the next turn. I was on ther gas sooner and harder than the other guy, I showed him my wheel on the outside. Maybe he didnt know I was there, but he looked over. (UH-Oh I thought) Where you look you go. My instinct was twist harder. His was roll off. His front tire hit my rear tire and he went for a nice high side. ( I did apologize if I was being too aggressive-he agreed it was good clean fun hard racing) I continued to put my head down and ride as hard as I could as long as I could. At the end of the fourth hour we amazingly ended up in third place.

I know it took some luck for this to happen but I see my skill level slowly getting better and better. Thanks to TMGP, Moe, Damon Harvey, my teamates, those who came out and supported us all, and most but not least the MH community. You truly inspire me with your wit, charm, and smart a to the z-z remarks. I love ya'll!

Congrats to No Comment racing for the first overall finish on Saturday. They did a complete bike swap that morning and the bike wasn't 100%. That's what a champion is made of. take some adversity, a little tough time and make the best out of it.

see ya'll at The Hill!!!!

Last edited by THE DEAN OF LEAN; 06-01-2009 at 09:19 AM.
THE DEAN OF LEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halffast Racing Team Round 1 CMRA Race Report Blamdiggity General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-16-2015 01:01 PM
Team 3K at TMGP Round 6 3Kracing Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 09-19-2013 07:06 AM
Team Ridesmart Endurance @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) | CMRA Round 2 w/ PICS cdill35 Video's and Photo's 11 04-05-2011 09:00 AM
Katy Round wiayeman Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 6 08-21-2010 09:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Congrats Dean!

For your second mini race you did very well. I'm glad your liking the learning experience.

You guys are now (overall) just 7 points down on 2nd position.

Good Job, see you at the Hill!

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Congrats Dean!

For your second mini race you did very well. I'm glad your liking the learning experience.

You guys are now (overall) just 7 points down on 2nd position.

Good Job, see you at the Hill!
Looks like me and 'my team' will have a war to wage at the hill. Title it "The Battle of Oak Hill" Keep all the kiddos at home on saturday. it will be 8 hours of grueling elbow to elbow racing. I have a surprise rider And for all those that are counting, I did not crash!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

You guys should do something with that front end. It still looks like it is set up for dirt. Try to lower it.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
You guys should do something with that front end. It still looks like it is set up for dirt. Try to lower it.
Its a CRF100 with a KX85 front end. I came 1st with it racing yesterday in sprints against KLX110s and CRF100s.

The front end does'nt bother me. I like the way it sits. The bike is pretty much sold... its upto the new owner if he wants to invest $$$ in lowering it, for me it was not worth it. Since I was already getting to 1st with it.

Thanks for corner working John. I'm glad you came out - hopefully you'll get hooked soon .

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
Old 06-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
slo_rdr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR 750-Totaled
'01 KX60-mini-tard

That was a good day of racing - grueling for me (an out of shape, newb to the game) Yes, I was the 'other guy' in Dean's narrative. & You got it right Dean, for whatever reason (stupid survival reaction & over spent my attention $), I looked over & rolled off the throttle & found your rear tire with my front. I apologize to everyone for laying there in the grass too long but my leg had seized up with one of those mega cramps. A big thanks to the Harveys, my wonderful woman T-girl, & my teammate Joe who helped me back up. I don't know if we'll make it to Oak Hill, but next time Dean, you won't have it so easy - I know you're gunning for me (hahaha)

Best of luck to everyone heading to Oak Hill!
Fred
Old 06-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_rdr View Post
That was a good day of racing - grueling for me (an out of shape, newb to the game) Yes, I was the 'other guy' in Dean's narrative. & You got it right Dean, for whatever reason (stupid survival reaction & over spent my attention $), I looked over & rolled off the throttle & found your rear tire with my front. I apologize to everyone for laying there in the grass too long but my leg had seized up with one of those mega cramps. A big thanks to the Harveys, my wonderful woman T-girl, & my teammate Joe who helped me back up. I don't know if we'll make it to Oak Hill, but next time Dean, you won't have it so easy - I know you're gunning for me (hahaha)

Best of luck to everyone heading to Oak Hill!
Fred
Aww mang! We will miss you guys at the Hill. get the bike running right and we will kick some a-z-z this year. Fred, next time get up a little quicker. LOL you almost caused a red flag!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Bagwell

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

Moe, you done with F7 or are you just getting rid of THAT bike?

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell View Post
Moe, you done with F7 or are you just getting rid of THAT bike?
Most likely done with F7 altogether. I'm investing all my resources, time, $$ in F5s this year.

Its been good racing against you.

Maybe if the buyer will let me continue racing it the whole year in TMGP 2 sprints, I may be able to continue and win the class championship. (hint/hint)

Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Most likely done with F7 altogether. I'm investing all my resources, time, $$ in F5s this year.

Its been good racing against you.

Maybe if the buyer will let me continue racing it the whole year in TMGP 2 sprints, I may be able to continue and win the class championship. (hint/hint)
Good luck with that! From what I hear he's real jealous of all your toys right now!

Advertisement