MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Unhappy Closest Call Ever

Had mine tonight. In all the years and the near misses I've experienced, tonight was the worst. If any emergency response people know details about the accident that occured Clear Lake City Blvd and Hwy 3 tonight about 9pm--I'm interested.

I was the third person in the line at Clear Lake Blvd to cross hwy 3. Light changed, and I had a slight delay b/c I was sitting in neutral. About a second before I became aware of the car hauling down hwy 3 (clearly not gonna stop) the guy in front of me musta saw it. As I was noticing the about-to-run-the-light guy, the dude in front of me slammed on his brakes. In order to avoid going thru his back windshield I had to swerve to a side because, unfortunately, I needed a few more feet to stop than his bumper was gonna give me. Chose the left (we were already in the left lane) because I didn't have time to check to see where the cars in the right lane were positioned.

As I was grinding to a halt, the car that was first in line (I was third) came spinning across the intersection in front of me. He wasn't t-boned--the speeder hit closer to the front of the car. My perception is that the car that ran the red light wasn't even slowing. I had my headphones up pretty loud and the impact was louder still.

I got over to the gas station and called 911. Fire, police and ambulance galore showed up pretty quickly. I could hear a kid screaming every now and again, but I don't know if the child was in the car or in one of the ones that stopped to help. I'm praying no kids were in there.

It seems weird, but I actually don't know if the person who ran the red light was able to keep going or not. Hopefully the was driving alone and on the other side of the street in the ditch out of my sight or something.

Anyway...moral of the story. I rarely cross an intersection or rr tracks with the assumption that all is clear. Tonight I did.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the second best BBQ in the country is the closest one to my urbanXJ Off Topic 13 06-28-2015 10:11 PM
Where's the closest Tunnel you know of ? Lucar Off Topic 10 09-01-2012 06:12 AM
Closest track!!! Swat267 Taking it to the Track 8 09-16-2011 11:27 PM
Closest call ever brandontx General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 04-27-2010 09:31 AM
Closest I have ever seen someone almost get creamed maskale General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 04-01-2007 08:00 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Glad you made it out without injury
Old 06-01-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
hopefully everyone is ok

glad your ok
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNinja650 View Post
Glad you made it out without injury
Me too. Ryan (Pyrofallout) texted me just before I left the house, and I delayed pulling outta the driveway a few seconds to respond. I'm thinking our very own Jimmy-Olsen-From-Smallville lookalike saved my bacon.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
S.D.W.
...Ready

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Glad you got out unharmed. I would be pretty shaken up from the event.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Glad you're OK. That's an attention getter.

"The only thing in life that can't be taken away from you is your integrity. You have to give it away"
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
sofa

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
02 sv650
honda 919

oh man... I was right there, I heard the tire screeching and heard the impact. At first I thought there were 3 cars involved but maybe only 2.

When the ambulance came the scene was like this: There was a van on Clear Lake blvd heading away from 45 with damages on one side of the rear bumper, not sure about the front). This might be the car that was first in line in front of you that got hit. A few feet behind him was a sedan with the front damaged. I saw a lot of glass shatters on the ground but didn't know where it came from.

The kids you heard was probably from the van as I saw it was a full family in there. But I don't think anyone was hurt. Everyone in the van was still in it when the ambulance and wreckers arrived, even after when the fire truck arrived. (yea weird but I had to come back to the scene twice after that, each 15min apart). Traffic going towards 45 on Clearlake wasn't blocked

I was on a bike (the silverwing on clear lake that went through the accident scene right after it happened heh heh... you must've seen me if you were right there). I called 911 when I got home but someone reported it already.

NO BODY WAS hurt it didn't look like.
sofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
Glad you got out unharmed. I would be pretty shaken up from the event.
Yeah, it was. Maybe not a bad thing all in all--an honest evaluation is that I've been a little lax lately.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofa View Post
oh man... I was right there, I heard the tire screeching and heard the impact. At first I thought there were 3 cars involved but maybe only 2.

When the ambulance came the scene was like this: There was a van on Clear Lake blvd heading away from 45 with damages on one side of the rear bumper, not sure about the front). This might be the car that was first in line in front of you that got hit. A few feet behind him was a sedan with the front damaged. I saw a lot of glass shatters on the ground but didn't know where it came from.

The kids you heard was probably from the van as I saw it was a full family in there. But I don't think anyone was hurt. Everyone in the van was still in it when the ambulance and wreckers arrived, even after when the fire truck arrived. (yea weird but I had to come back to the scene twice after that, each 15min apart). Traffic going towards 45 on Clearlake wasn't blocked

I was on a bike (the silverwing on clear lake that went through the accident scene right after it happened heh heh... you must've seen me if you were right there). I called 911 when I got home but someone reported it already.

Holy cow! I think I did see you! It's hazy but I vaguely recall a bike on the other side of 3 (headed away from 45). I pulled into that gas station and parked all weird to call 911. I pulled in from the Clear Lake City side--did you pull in on the hwy 3 side not too long after?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

i know a hardlydangerous rider that was at an intersection in tx city, riding with another hd rider.
their light turned green, the other guy gunned it.
an idiot ran the light and took him out.
yes. look both ways b4 crossing boys
craigntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #11
Scatter

Experience: 4-8 months

Mala scared me to death when she called. i have been worried and upset a few times over riders, but when i got her call and could hardly understand her..that scared the out of me. all i could seem to hear was i tucked and bailed to the right and then something about debri or something. as shook up as that call made me i can't even imagine being first hand and knowing that if i was just a few seconds faster that could have been me.

so so so very glad you are ok mala!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofa View Post

i'm so glad!! being a mom and hearing her say she could her a child screaming pulled at my heartstrings.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #12
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Glad you're okay. I get weird sometimes and I have uneasy feelings. I couldn't sleep tonight - maybe this is why.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #13
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Glad you're alright there missy.
Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 AM   #14
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Can't sleep and I'm tired. Every time I close my eyes all I see is the scene when I first saw that car and realized it was coming thru the intersection.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:52 AM   #15
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

I'm sure glad that wasn't my other shoe dropping....

Old 06-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #16
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaner-n-u View Post
I'm sure glad that wasn't my other shoe dropping....

Haha. Me too. I've been dumpster diving...I know where your shoes have been.

Just got back from Wal-greens. Ten million mg's of benedryl's gonna fix this. Drove down thru that intersection and it's a sea of urban diamonds. Kinda pretty.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #17
kinnlyn

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
ninja 636
crf 230
ninja500 sold
ninja 650r wrecked

Glad ur ok. I bet ur gonna b a little twitchy at intersection for a while. Amazing that bonehead didn't seriously hurt anyone.
kinnlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 AM   #18
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
mala- glad you weren't involved in the accident... it could have been much much worse. we ride sportbikes and when our bikes get in wrecks, they are almost always gonna hurt. you know now just as well as almost everyone on MH how an innocent situation whre you're doing nothing wrong has the potential to turn into a disaster.

ive been in a situation very similar, and with seat time and experience, most of us will have a scare or two, but in order to keep going with our passion of motorcycling, we have to accept the risks involved with riding our bikes.

i don't know about you but the reward is much greater than the risks to me and thats why I keep riding.

we are fragile, but that's the beauty of mortality. with risk comes reward. some people ride motocross, or base jump, or play football, or do MMA, but we love motorcycles. that's why we get back on our bikes when we have a scare or even when we break our backs at 250mph (scotty )

I hope you can shake this off and go ride again soon!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #19
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage