MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Stunters Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
shanecrow99
punoɹƃɹǝpun xıs

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
old skool
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
new skool
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r

Does stunting make for better riders?

I myself, have very little riding experience. About a 1 year tops. I am still practicing the in's and out's of making smooth turn's (outside-inside-outside), tight u-turns and all the other MSF-type maneuvers.

Now, stunters have exceptional control over braking, balancing, and throttle control to make the bike do exactly what they want it to do. I realize that most stunt bikes are set up to be that way, however, there is still a skillset involved. Which leads me to the question. Do stunters make for better overall riders?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle riders make better drivers Jae General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 11-13-2013 12:38 PM
Want to make a little cash? And make a good friend. gsxr005 How To's and Q & A's 20 06-12-2009 01:36 PM
BMW Riders/Honda Riders/Kawasaki Riders...read on BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-24-2008 05:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
chase
LOCTITE

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

no, they all suck...

Haha no really, that stuff takes tons of practice
practice=seattime
So I dont see how someone could b a stunt rider and it not run over into their street riding skill, atleast a little
Old 05-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
LuisG4

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R

Send a message via AIM to LuisG4
Dude, of you wanna learn to be a better rider, just do a track day, its fun, and you learn a LOT. Track days FTMFW!!!!!!!!!
LuisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
darktoy02
Whats HAddddenin

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
07 Honda CBR600RR

yea i think so, u get familar with the bike

-Bobby LIGHT-
darktoy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

"Better" is subjective. More skill, sure. In some cases that impulse to stunt gets carried onto public roads and into traffic though. So if better includes being safe then not so much. Then they just become more efficient at being dangerous.
Obviously this doesn't apply to all stunters, but it happens enough to proliferate the stereotype.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Buy a fifty, learn balance point, then get a big bike.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansodw76 View Post
"Better" is subjective. More skill, sure. In some cases that impulse to stunt gets carried onto public roads and into traffic though.
AGREE!

learning the "stunting" portion of biking doesnt mean that you have mastered riding in the street! its somewhat like saying "i know how to play "stairway to heaven on guitar"...someone may have shown you how to play THAT particular song, but if you dont know the notes,strings, you dont really know how to play the instrument fully on a day to day basis. you just learned to master a song. thats it.

a few years ago on another forum, someone said "if you know how to do a stoppie, and a wheelie then you know how to avoid an accident!" we had a laugh at that one. just because you know the bikes limits for particular tricks, doesnt mean you know how to profficiently operate the machine.

there are more details that can sway one way or another, and could be loooooong debatable, but for a quick and dirty answer. NO. stunting just makes for a better STUNTER.. thats about it.

becoming a well rounded motorcyclist , makes for a better stunter. not the other way around.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
level5
moving chicane

seat times, seat times, and more seat times. when you are comfortable with your bike then you can stunt or race which ever you desire. If you have problems riding with 2 wheels, how are you gonna do it with just 1?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
rnz450

lol. not even one stunt rider has said anything.
klassik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
jcat
Banned

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06 KLX110 Motard
07 KLX110 Motard Project
92 Z50

User is banned

jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
There are different types of riding; stunting,dragging,track,backroads,commuting,group riding;

All have their own aspects that make them unique and offer challenges. A boxer may be a fighter but throw them in the ring with a grapler and they'll be able to play for bit but will be in unfamiliar waters.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
federal20
up and comer

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2004 crf 50 stunted (sold)
2008 crf 50 stunted (sold)
2005 gsxr 600 streetfighter stunted (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to federal20
the bike companies gave you two wheels just chose one of them and have some fun!!! lol
Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Prodigy

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

I dunno, ever move or body input I use on the bike to get it to circle, drift, burnout, stoppie or anything else I want it to do. Im pretty sure that it wont help at all on the street. For example the throttle and brake control you learn IM POSITIVE that wont help you on the street or track what so ever

I was being sarcastic for the haters.

We ride bikes the way they were never intended on being ridden, I have a hard time believing that we couldnt learn to ride one just as good in a way they were meant to be.........

Start the hate
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
I dunno, ever move or body input I use on the bike to get it to circle, drift, burnout, stoppie or anything else I want it to do. Im pretty sure that it wont help at all on the street. For example the throttle and brake control you learn IM POSITIVE that wont help you on the street or track what so ever

I was being sarcastic for the haters.

We ride bikes the way they were never intended on being ridden, I have a hard time believing that we couldnt learn to ride one just as good in a way they were meant to be.........

Start the hate
ill back. you. someone gimme a track bike and some leathers and i bet i could be a decent track rider the first time i go out there. gimme a drag bike set up and i bet i could be decent the first time.let me put it this way. if you have problems doing the basics of riding a motorcycle at your own pace and turning when you want to turn then what is going to happen when someone is making you turn?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Prodigy

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

Im not saying I would even be decent the first time out. But I would be the best before I am satisfied with myself.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
Im not saying I would even be decent the first time out. But I would be the best before I am satisfied with myself.
eh what i said probably sounded cocky but i think anyone with enough skill on any particular discipline could do any other and be fairly decent
Old 05-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
jcat
Banned

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06 KLX110 Motard
07 KLX110 Motard Project
92 Z50

User is banned

jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #18
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

I'm gonna have to back the stunters on this one. Not that I know how to stunt, but I have experience in airplanes. Doing aerobatics is completely advanced level compared to just learning to fly, take off and land a plane. Like was said before, you are making a machine operate at the absolute limits and beyond of what it was designed to do. That takes a serious command of the machine that is achieved after hundreds of hours in the seat. Anyone can be taught to start, stop and turn - that can be taught in one day. It happens every weekend.

There is no doubt in my mind that hundreds (or thousands) of hours of practice are instantly and subconsciously transferred into everyday riding - drawn upon at a moments notice instinctively. I had to learn to fly straight and level before I could fly upside down or roll around a point. So it goes without saying, that stunters have the same skills most of us do to ride on a basic level on the street or track. Everything they do on the stunt lot just sharpens and increases those skills to a level that most of us will never ride at in much the same way that everything a skilled track rider does on the track sharpens and hones skills that are invaluable on the street. You get pinched in to traffic or see an obstacle approaching at high speed, instinct is called upon and with a little luck you avoid catastrophe.

When faced with an emergency in the air, I know EXACTLY what my machine is capable of (not to mention myself) because I have pushed us both to the limit in controlled circumstances endless times before. I know how slow it will fly. I know how far it will fly with the engine out. I know how short I can land it because I've done it all before time after time in practice. The accomplished stunter doesn't have to put as much thought into whether or not he has room to stop or space to swerve. The machine becomes an extension of the person. So yeah - stunters have skills the common rider does not and those skills can be called upon at any time they are needed.

Now, as to attitude, that is a completely individual thing. If you're going to ride like an on the street, it might not matter how good your skills are. Eventually, you'll pay the price.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
shanecrow99
punoɹƃɹǝpun xıs

Bike(s):
old skool
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
new skool
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r

Thanks for the insight everyone. I have no intentions of becoming a stunter. However, I definitely tip my hat off to those who do because it is a skill that takes a person a lot of dedication to master and I respect that.

Becoming the best street/commuter rider I can be is what I am going for right now. Who knows, maybe I will wind up on the track someday.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #20
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

def come do a trackday...you can go at your own pace and you will gain confidence in your tires, cornering and braking skills...IMO, I think hitting up a td in the novice level is a lot safer than dumping the clutch trying to whoolie for the first time...

besides, a wise man once told me that all stunters crash, it's part of the learning process...just in case you go that route

Advertisement