MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
Eagles Canyon

I'm goin' to Eagles Canyon.

I want to find out the opinion from the racers and the experienced trackday riders what you think. I've done 7 or 8 trackdays so far, all at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and MSR-H and I love those tracks. I'm starting to get down to mid-pack intermediate pace and I want to keep going back because I know the lines and I know where I'm losing time and what I need to work on.

My question is, at this point, what advantage do I have in going to a brand new track? I don't know the lines, I don't know my baseline, how will I improve by going to a new track?

If I sign up for intermediate, i'll probably be the slowest bike there, but that's okay.

Since I'm thinkin about ECR, I also want some protips, what do I need to look for? Quirks like how you think you're going into turn 1 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) hot always but you can always go faster, or even though you can't see the curbing over the launch at MSR-H, you can still make the turn if you think you're going in hot. What should I look for at ECR?

I'm excited and nervous about a new track. I'm going regardless of what anyone says, but I could still use a little pumping up.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N Eagles Canyon Valentina Events, Meets and Rides 26 10-01-2012 09:37 PM
Eagles Canyon ArtistMarty Taking it to the Track 4 03-16-2010 10:26 PM
See what Eagles Canyon really looks like diggler Taking it to the Track 17 07-31-2008 04:05 PM
eagles canyon ???? rc51eviltwin Taking it to the Track 31 03-26-2008 10:54 AM
Eagles Canyon Moody Taking it to the Track 6 04-04-2007 04:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
DLSGAP
Whats the "Dragon"

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'11 FZ8

turn 3... (first one from pit out) you better be on the brakes when you crest the hill cus turn in sneaks up on you quick.

Turn 6... Looks chewed up at turn in but its ok. Watch the seams and sealer spots...

Turn 7... No smoothway into this blind left hander. And there's a slippery seam too.

Turn 8, if its a warm day with a dry track, be on the throttle but not too much ... Seen lotsa guys dump it there...

9 is a basic double apex,

10 you'll wanna start wide but don't... Hug the curbing so you dont exit too wide.

11 slippery seam and paint line for pit ent...

1 and 2...a quick right left after a fast straight. I'm conservative so i'm off the gas at the starters tower

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you "
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post

I want to find out the opinion from the racers and the experienced trackday riders what you think. I've done 7 or 8 trackdays so far, all at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and MSR-H and I love those tracks. I'm starting to get down to mid-pack intermediate pace and I want to keep going back because I know the lines and I know where I'm losing time and what I need to work on.

My question is, at this point, what advantage do I have in going to a brand new track? I don't know the lines, I don't know my baseline, how will I improve by going to a new track?

If I sign up for intermediate, i'll probably be the slowest bike there, but that's okay.

Since I'm thinkin about ECR, I also want some protips, what do I need to look for? Quirks like how you think you're going into turn 1 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) hot always but you can always go faster, or even though you can't see the curbing over the launch at MSR-H, you can still make the turn if you think you're going in hot. What should I look for at ECR?

I'm excited and nervous about a new track. I'm going regardless of what anyone says, but I could still use a little pumping up.
Just go Matt! The thing about riding different tracks is that you will learn something new at each one! Eagles Canyon is a blast to ride!
Old 05-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
Just go Matt! The thing about riding different tracks is that you will learn something new at each one! Eagles Canyon is a blast to ride!
+1 Good advice. EC isn't very challenging but it is fun to ride.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

Every track should be challenging if your riding hard. :-)

Go to ECR and ride the intermediate group.
Hold your lines, and have fun!!!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Every track should be challenging if your riding hard. :-)

Go to ECR and ride the intermediate group.
Hold your lines, and have fun!!!!!
No doubt......every track is a challenge. If it wasn't my grandmother would be stuffing me in turn one on the brakes!! Point being that going fast ain't easy (so I hear anyway) and if it wasn't a challenge everyone would be doing it....
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Celine

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
R1 (street)
SV650 (track)
CR80 (dirt)

Quote:

If your planning on TTD ECR on 6/6 you won't be the only slow one in intermediate.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
jrob
cheers

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
KTM 450 XC-F
DRZ 400 Kick/Motard Convert

i crashed there....but it was my first trackday. and it was cold and a bit dewy out pretty much all day. im sure it would be a fun track otherwise.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
AZ slide

Experience: 4 years

Send a message via AIM to AZ slide
its a really fun layout for sure but its a little slick!!
AZ slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Quote:

Hey bud come on out, the advantages to coming to a new track is that you become a more versatile rider. Every track has a uniqueness like a finger print they are all different, the more that you ride it will be easier to pick up a line on new tracks and the ones that you are used to will seam more familiar. Hope this all makes sense.
scott
Old 05-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
level5
moving chicane

Come on and check out the new track, it will definitely teach you a thing or two by the time you leave. You will not find this elevation and camber changes at any other track. This track will teach you to brake early or late, hopefully the latter. You will learn to look at the next corner at this track. Do it and give us your opinion.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badchev View Post
+1 Good advice. EC isn't very hard to learn but it is challenging as any road course and fun/scary too.
fixed.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #13
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
I've been wanting to hit up ECR for awhile now but no way I can make it this weekend

Learn another track, learn new skills, become a better rider!
I went to sign up last night and it says waitinglist!!!!! I was at myself and surprised.

So we are going up to Heartland Park in Topeka Kansas the following week instead.

ECR eludes me everytime for some reason, got to get there and check it out!
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #14
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

What day were you planning on going to ECR? Not the 6th, this Saturday I hope because I think you might be the only one there. I read on another forum that ECR on the 6th was cancelled. You might want to double check.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #15
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
What day were you planning on going to ECR? Not the 6th, this Saturday I hope because I think you might be the only one there. I read on another forum that ECR on the 6th was cancelled. You might want to double check.
yep i heard it too... not sure if i can make it this weekend anyway.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Track all by my self, yeah, bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, instead we signed up for Heartland Park Topeka for Monday 15th, pumped

Been watching youtube vids of that track, looks nice. I havnt been to that facility since i drag raced there 3 years ago and its a top notch place, hopefully the road course is also.
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

My question is, at this point, what advantage do I have in going to a brand new track? I don't know the lines, I don't know my baseline, how will I improve by going to a new track

tht's the question you asked so I'll speak on that in my limited experience. A new track brings uncertainty for a new rider. take that nervousness and channel it into your focus tube. Just stay more focused. it does not matter if you are the slowest one out there. if they want you to go faster, tell them pay for your gear and give you a bike to ride. as long as you hold your lines you should be ok. A new track will force you to use your reference points. especially one like ECR where there are alot of elevation changes and blind corners. it also gives you the advantage of testing your skills. if you ride the same track, you can be fast there, but are you fast at another track? watch world super bike. Guys who go to a track for the first time can still win the race because they have the skill. That's what your focus shoudl be./ Put your head down and ride...Cant give ne info on the track b/c i rode it in the cold rain and it was no fun. But I hear its a blast
Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
My question is, at this point, what advantage do I have in going to a brand new track? I don't know the lines, I don't know my baseline, how will I improve by going to a new track

tht's the question you asked so I'll speak on that in my limited experience. A new track brings uncertainty for a new rider. take that nervousness and channel it into your focus tube. Just stay more focused. it does not matter if you are the slowest one out there. if they want you to go faster, tell them pay for your gear and give you a bike to ride. as long as you hold your lines you should be ok. A new track will force you to use your reference points. especially one like ECR where there are alot of elevation changes and blind corners. it also gives you the advantage of testing your skills. if you ride the same track, you can be fast there, but are you fast at another track? watch world super bike. Guys who go to a track for the first time can still win the race because they have the skill. That's what your focus shoudl be./ Put your head down and ride...Cant give ne info on the track b/c i rode it in the cold rain and it was no fun. But I hear its a blast
lol focus tube.

jk thx for the advise
Old 06-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #19
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

it's all about beng in tune with your bike, knowing and trusting what it is going to do and how to make it do what u want it to do
Old 06-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
it's all about beng in tune with your bike, knowing and trusting what it is going to do and how to make it do what u want it to do
, I knew this track riding thing was easy.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement