MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #101
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Digital is where everyone will end up, eventually, its just a matter of time. The idea is that once everyone is on the same system, complete statewide interoperability will be possible.

Digital costs $$$$$$$$$. XTS5000 handhelds alone can run a few grand PER RADIO.

my two digital scanners cost me an arm and a leg. The Uniden and the RadioShack/GRE both sale for a bit above $500 retail.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cooler radio JROD Off Topic 15 07-13-2012 05:54 PM
CB Radio's? CUSTOM ZX-14 Off Topic 22 09-07-2011 02:34 PM
cooler radio gsxr_firerider Off Topic 4 08-24-2010 05:41 PM
Sirius radio train460 Off Topic 30 01-16-2008 10:19 PM
crazyness..... Gideon General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-01-2007 04:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #102
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

so is this digital frequency like nextel? cuz if it is , i think people would be waiting for days for help
Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #103
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

[quote=BBKF;2010438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
(Fox, Narc & Tac).QUOTE]

Narcotics, Tactical/swat?, fox?

Can you explain?
Yes, Narcotics, Tactical, Fox (HPD helicopters)
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #104

Feedback Rating: (0)

The hand held radios we have are super old. What, 80's technology? The Sabers are POS.
I get envious when I sit next to a county guy at a restaurant that has a digital unit. I couldn't stand the crappiness of them (HPD radio) so I bought my own radio. Next to your gun and cell phone, the radio is another life line for you to use. I cannot have failure.
1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #105
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
so is this digital frequency like nextel? cuz if it is , i think people would be waiting for days for help
nope. it is very similar to motorola type 2 trunking (what most in the area have now) except the transmissions are in digital. (kinda like HD versus old analog TV signals) it operates on the same frequency ranges as well. (usually in the 800 mhz range for trunking systems.

I have listened to a few of the cities in the area that ARE already on digital trunking, and there are only a few in the entire greater houston area, but when they talk it sounds like a cell phone conversation, crystal clear.

one thing that will come with digital trunking is, easy ways to encrypt transmissions. i have heard some DPS freqs that are encrypted and listening is worseless. It sounds like hearing a deaf person talk, its just all jumbled nothingness.

sadly, i think encryption will ultimately destroy what is left of the scanning hobby.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #106
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
The hand held radios we have are super old. What, 80's technology? The Sabers are POS.
I get envious when I sit next to a county guy at a restaurant that has a digital unit. I couldn't stand the crappiness of them (HPD radio) so I bought my own radio. Next to your gun and cell phone, the radio is another life line for you to use. I cannot have failure.
sweet! sounds like something i would do. what did you get in place of it? was the HPD radio shack cool with your bringing your own equipment? i know conventional systems are much more leniant on what they allow on their channels, as it is much more difficult to pinpoint a radio down. with trunking every radio associates to the network with an individual id, making it much more easier to limit what can and cant be on the network.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:27 AM   #107
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

laughing on the def people talkin
Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #108

Quote:
sweet! sounds like something i would do. what did you get in place of it? was the HPD radio shack cool with your bringing your own equipment?
I have an EX600 XLS. It's super small and hasn't given me any problems. One full charge can last me an entire work week. I had the vendor program the main and back channels for me. I bypassed the radio shop.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #109
BBKF
BooBooKittyFuxx

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06' 600RR

Quote:
Fox (HPD helicopters)
Ah...I see. So is there any ONE scanner I can buy that will not go obsolete anytime soon. Preferably portable.

If everything's under control, you're going too slow
BBKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #110
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
I have an EX600 XLS. It's super small and hasn't given me any problems. One full charge can last me an entire work week. I had the vendor program the main and back channels for me. I bypassed the radio shop.
Sadly, those days will be gone before long. You'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to set you up a (if your crazy enough to actually pay for a XTS handheld) on a trunked system without verified approval from the manager of that system. its very taboo it seem with radio programmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKF View Post
Ah...I see. So is there any ONE scanner I can buy that will not go obsolete anytime soon. Preferably portable.
You want a handheld or a base unit?

Handhelds are obviously easier if your out and about, usually the size of a handheld radio, sometimes smaller, but usually dont get as good of reception as a base model.

base models can be setup on a desk or in a vehicle and have better range and are also connected to external antennas which helps alot. they are typically the size of your standard single din radio.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #111

I'm not too worried.. They are talking 3-4 years. My radio will be beat to by then. I got mine brand new in March 08. It's looking pretty worn now only after a year and some change..

Give it time.. Programmers will be programming for individuals with credentials. It's money in their pocket.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #112
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

if you want to go ahead and pay the $$$ for a digital

if handhelds go with a BCD396T from Uniden or a Pro-107 from Radio Shack (AKA the GRE-500) (out of these i really prefer the uniden, they are much more compact and user friendly IMO)

for base model go with a BCD996T from Uniden or a Pro-197 from Radio Shack. I have both of these units and while the Ride Smart model does have a few nice features the Uniden doesn't have the Uniden has more, I think the Uniden is still a far superior product as far as user interface and feature set.

For non-digital trunking (save you a bit of money)

Go with a Uniden BC346XT for handheld or a BCT15 for base unit.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 AM   #113
BBKF
BooBooKittyFuxx

Bike(s):
06' 600RR

I want somthing that is handheld, can hear all types of networks(digital or not) and can be heard clearly.

would the BCD396T cover that?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #114
BBKF
BooBooKittyFuxx

Bike(s):
06' 600RR

Chase

Another refusal to stop on a bike going on right now. They have the helicopter out around foundrin(sp?) & main looking for him. they had the chopper in the area 3min after it was reported...

Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #115
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKF View Post
I want somthing that is handheld, can hear all types of networks(digital or not) and can be heard clearly.

would the BCD396T cover that?
Sorry, BCD396XT, is the new model. But yes that will do what you want to do. You might be able to find a 396T for cheaper because that is the older model but the newer model performs much better with digital and has several new features. If your gonna spend the money you might as well get the new model for the difference.

BCD396XT will run you @ $495.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #116
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

so how do they seperate the calls, how can so many people talk on a single frequency?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #117
txmedic1
I Speak Jive.....

Experience: 10+ years

here are scanner feeds for montgomery county fire/police/ems

http://www.thewoodlandsmonitor.com/m...ndex.php?id=33
Old 05-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #118
bentgixxer

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
I has no bike :(
'14 Polaris 550 touring

Send a message via Yahoo to bentgixxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
so how do they seperate the calls, how can so many people talk on a single frequency?

when you are listening to it via the net, the signal is probably jumping freq's, that way you get to listen to all of houston, district by district. dont know for sure, just guessing.

the beeping someone was talking about earlier, that sounds like morse code every now and then, is the repeater. it fires off like 1 an hour or so, just to send a signal to radio's, minitor pagers and the like to let them know they are still recieving.

i have a radioshack pro-97 trunk tracking portable.
i have no idea how to set up the trunking, cause i mainly bought it for local FD listening, and the FD's around here that i work with dont trunk.
it does have a search mode, that enables you to hear any local freq that is transmitting. thats how i got hpd and hfd on there. didnt have to look up all the individual freq's.
We'll call it Corpsefish and Horsenuts.
bentgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #119
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer View Post
when you are listening to it via the net, the signal is probably jumping freq's, that way you get to listen to all of houston, district by district. dont know for sure, just guessing.

the beeping someone was talking about earlier, that sounds like morse code every now and then, is the repeater. it fires off like 1 an hour or so, just to send a signal to radio's, minitor pagers and the like to let them know they are still recieving.

i have no idea how to set up the trunking, cause i mainly bought it for local FD listening, and the FD's around here that i work with dont trunk.
it does have a search mode, that enables you to hear any local freq that is transmitting. thats how i got hpd and hfd on there. didnt have to look up all the individual freq's.

the beeping is station identification. every fcc licensed station has to do it. it is just easier for program the identification in morse code to play every hour than it is for a operator to get on and physically call out the identification.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #120
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer View Post

thnks im guessing your a ff? do you guys ever have to wait to send because to many people trying to transmit? ive only used nextels cbs and 2 ways, and if you are part of a fd did you see on the news where there was some firefighters talkin about black ffs and someone said hey your line is open check it?

Advertisement