MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Brake. 14 35.00%
Swerve. 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #21
Seb656
Forest Gnome in Training

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Passion Red 07 Ninja 650R

At that speed swerve was the only option. Even at half of that speed that van probably would have killed him. Depending on what I saw, I may have actually went to the other side of the van.
Seb656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
punks swerve at you on the road smh craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 01-16-2013 07:13 PM
Brake Help adub Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 7 09-27-2010 08:09 PM
Who uses the rear brake? batman007 Taking it to the Track 111 01-31-2008 09:34 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #22
Valkorin

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 F4i
Stolen Big Wheel

I think he was moving a bit quick through that area that obviously had alot going on.. he really would have been boned if the car would have decided to pull out too.

+1 for brake! shoulda seen that comming, expect them to pull out, be pleasantly surprised when they dont.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #23
Intrinzik

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
09 Daytona 675 (Tornato Red)

Send a message via Yahoo to Intrinzik
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Generally, IMHO swerving is the best option because you can often avoid things that you can not stop for. A bike at 50+mph takes a loong time to slow to a speed that isn't going to grind serious meat from your carcass.
Good point.

Here's an interesting Motorcycle stopping distance calculator.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...?TOPIC_ID=4673

Paintball in Houston, Tx
http://www.urbanwarzonepaintball.com
Intrinzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #24
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrinzik View Post
It's really hard to guess what the rider saw or when he picked up that the van. We never get to see where he was coming from, it could have been a blind curve or a straightaway. The best we can do is figure the guy (or gal) had at least 2.5 seconds from the time the van's tire touches the center line.

I know that's not enough time to stop, but it is enough time to scrub off a lot of speed. If that van goes any faster the rider hits it at full speed and probably ends up dead.
2.5 seconds? That is an eternity to brake, depending on speed. My crappy connection has yet to let the video load, but it sounds like people need to practice and learn their brakes.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #25
Intrinzik

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
2.5 seconds? That is an eternity to brake, depending on speed. My crappy connection has yet to let the video load, but it sounds like people need to practice and learn their brakes.
He was going pretty fast. If he had started an emergency brake right when the van tire crosses the center line, he still doesn't stop in time.

Paintball in Houston, Tx
Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #26
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I need to go out and play and actually measure stopping distances some time. I know from 20-30 mph I can stop almost instantly; 50+ obviously takes longer, but I always ride with one or two fingers on the front brake to save that reaction time.

Different bikes stop in different ways, but it behooves anyone who rides on the street to take the time to get familiar with threshold braking and practice until it is second nature.

Case in point. I took the ZX12 that I have been working on down for inspection. I haven't ridden the bike much but a little around the hood. The inspector says roll across the lot about 20 and stop as quick as you can to check the brakes. So I zip up to 30 or so and squeeze a couple fingers on the brake.. and execute the perfect stoppy, rear tire dangling a couple feet in the air. Not planned at all, on my Bandit it would have just stopped. Just goes to show you need to practice on YOUR bike and get comfortable.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #27
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

if you like to ride fast, try stoping from speed and see how long (distance and time it takes). NO way could he have stoped or slowed down enough to not be FUBAR'd, ironically 2 wrongs made the best out of a crappy situation here but only by chance since the truck saw him at the last second.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #28
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

in that situation, assuming he didnt assume the van wasnt going to stop....lol
which obviously he didnt. There was little to no time to slow enough. I think he could have rode it out. looks like the fixated on the side of the road, and didnt swerve back over.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #29
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
It's really hard to guess what the rider saw or when he picked up that the van. We never get to see where he was coming from, it could have been a blind curve or a straightaway. The best we can do is figure the guy (or gal) had at least 2.5 seconds from the time the van's tire touches the center line.

I know that's not enough time to stop, but it is enough time to scrub off a lot of speed. If that van goes any faster the rider hits it at full speed and probably ends up dead.
That van was slowing down, preparing to turn left, with its left turn signal on, way before that 2.5 seconds.

This appears to be a situation where friends/spectators gather to film their buddies take that curve at high speeds. This would explain why there was a guy with a video camera, along with other spectators, standing there in the first place. Driver of van was very likely distracted by the idiots standing around at the entry to that road, since he didn't want to hit anyone standing around.

Rider was going way too fast, and upon seeing the van (obviously) slowing down with its left turn signal on, he should have slowed down himself and anticipated the #1 killer of motorcyclists... left turning vehicles.

Rider was f*cked either way, whether he braked or swerved. Although if his reflexes were quick enough, he may have had a chance to swerve back onto the road immediately after barely passing the van. he probably target-fixated the edge of the road, when he should have stayed focused on where he wanted to go. Although I admit this is easier said than done, especially in this scenario.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #30
El Magnifico
El Magnifico

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki ZX6

Send a message via AIM to El Magnifico Send a message via Yahoo to El Magnifico
Quote:
There is 2.5-3.0 seconds from when the van's tire touches the center line. At that point I'm braking and assuming that the guy is going to finish his turn. Swerve is high risk high reward. You either make it, or like this dude, slam into the rocks at full speed. Braking offers less risk, in my opinion, but less reward. Braking full on means you probably hit that van.
Intrinzik, not to call you out but haven't you only been riding for 3 months?

I know what the "book" says but not sure in this specific situation its applicable. We're talking about maybe 3 seconds.

So I'm clear, you're suggesting getting on the breaks, keeping the bike in a straight line, and if time allows serve at the last second. Why not change our oil while we're at it? We've got a whole 3 seconds after all...
El Magnifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #31
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Two choices:

1. Hit the van and die

2. Thread yourself between the van and the car and bin it

I'd say he made the right choice
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #32
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
Two choices:

1. Hit the van and die

2. Thread yourself between the van and the car and bin it

I'd say he made the right choice
orrrrrrrr

3. ride within some sane resemblance of the speed limit!

The entire situation, and ensuing pain, would have probably not been an issue....
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #33
ninjathatcould
UHD BPOC 241

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 EX250
(Totaled 08 XB12R)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to ninjathatcould
I've been in this situation before without any indication the car was going to cut me off. I didn't even know what was going on before adrenaline kicked in and I got epic tunnel vision. I heard the tires sqealing, so I know I instinctively hit the breaks, but swerving seems like an after thought when faced with this kind of situation.

I voted to brake, because if you shave off speed you are less likely to sustain major injury in a situation where injury is unavoidable.

ninjathatcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #34
GAU-8
official thread ender.

i'da LEANED that ho.

i take it back...after watching the vid closer, you can see his brake lights on for just a sec..but even if he really cranked it, there was a lot of dirt right there at the side. i would have leaned though.

Last edited by GAU-8; 05-27-2009 at 11:29 PM.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #35
Intrinzik

Bike(s):

Paintball in Houston, Tx
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #36
El Magnifico
El Magnifico

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki ZX6

LMAO! Just saw this post from work.. Man oh man... Well played Sir. Well played. Understand that this means WAR!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #37
El Magnifico
El Magnifico

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki ZX6

LMAO!! Why you got to bring up old Stuff. Well played Sir, well played. Consider yourself uninvited from any future rides. I hope you know this means WAR!

Advertisement