Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts datacenter was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
ely2000

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2014 ducati monster 1200
ninja 650r
zx6r

there is an oil light but only comes on when key is turned to on pos then turns off. thats fin asked dealership the day i bought it about it.
ely2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a good buy? Rowdy76 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 04-11-2013 09:43 PM
Anyone in here buy salvage bikes at the auctions. The BeastMaster General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 01-25-2013 12:25 PM
Where to buy CHEAPEST POS Mountain Bikes cdill35 Off Topic 43 07-28-2009 10:02 AM
Would this be a good buy? RinasDaddy General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 10-06-2007 03:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #22
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

i would think if it had no oil , i would have lock up by now, but it would be on the dealer and i would not setle for a fix i would demand they swap bikes,

good luck
Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #23
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
i would think if it had no oil , i would have lock up by now, but it would be on the dealer and i would not setle for a fix i would demand they swap bikes,

good luck
what he said, go for broke (bike swap). how long did you have the bike for? did you finance or did you pay it off cash?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #24
Dobeman

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2009 Kawasaki 250R
2009 Yamaha Rhino Sport
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S

Don't ride it, don't start it, don't add oil. Trailer it or have dealer come to you to trailer it to their shop. I agree with others, if it had no oil in it, it would have siezed almost immediately.

Document in writing your observations(screws missing,smells,etc) and your conversation with dealer including dates,who you talked to,etc. Putting it in writing will always be better than verbal conversations moving forward with dealer.

Good luck!
Dobeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #25
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobeman View Post
Don't ride it, don't start it, don't add oil. Trailer it or have dealer come to you to trailer it to their shop. I agree with others, if it had no oil in it, it would have siezed almost immediately.

Document in writing your observations(screws missing,smells,etc) and your conversation with dealer including dates,who you talked to,etc. Putting it in writing will always be better than verbal conversations moving forward with dealer.

Good luck!

That right there is probably good advice.

Keep us posted.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #26
bkeros
Back on the Track!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Ducati 749RS Full Race
Yamaha R1
CR 125
Ducati MH900e
Ducati S2R1000 Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobeman View Post

Good luck!
I find this surprising, because most if not all bikes come from the factory filled with oil (for this EXACT reason), so it's not likely that the dealer failed to fill it. They clearly failed to CHECK it, however.

As a former Ducati dealer, I can confirm that the above is the correct advice. I would trailer the bike to the dealer myself. Make sure that you take with the bike from the time you show up until it's rolled into the service area and inspected. Also, after initial inspection, you want to hear the words out of the mechanic first hand - not as translated by the service writer. Personally, I would ask for a new bike. I might accept a brand new motor swap (which is most likely what Kawasaki would authorize), however I would not accept "just keep an eye on it and let us know if any problems down the road). Wrong answer. If you truly have been riding around with no oil for 400 miles, serious damage to the motor has been done, and you don't want to find out when it's going to rear it's ugly head...especially if it's mid turn while leaned over.

Make notes of everything, and if they give you a hard time, ask them if what they're offering is what the Kawasaki service advisor authorized. If they continue to give you a hard time (refusing to replace the motor), ask them if they think Kawasaki customer service would agree with their position, because you surely plan on speaking with them in the immediate future.

Good luck
WERA Ex #34
CCS Ex #34
bkeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #27
ely2000

Bike(s):
2014 ducati monster 1200
ninja 650r
zx6r

i have had it from last sat the 16th. i took photos but not that great and thank you all i want to do this right i dont want to get stuck with i broken down bike. i also looked for any leak and every thing is clean. i hope this will be solved well so i can ride with yall soon. thanks thanks
Old 05-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #28
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

Are u sure it has no oil?
The breakin oil is like cooking oil.
The oil light will come on ifthe oil is low.
Maybe the oil level is high and you are seeing the oil.
I would have a bud leanthe bike way over to the left and watch the site glass
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #29
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

If the oil light never came on while riding, chances are the bike is fine. The oil level light comes on when the bike runs so low on oil that no oil reaches the oil pump and oil pressure drops. This is when mechanical damage is done. Crank bearings without pressure will eat themselves up in 1 minute. I'm fairly certain your bike is fine, it just might be low on oil. Lean the bike to the side of the oil window and see when the oil ibecomes visible. This will give you an idea of how low it really is.

FYI, I've had a crappy old Honda I rode 500 miles with no oil in the window and no problems whatsoever.

I agree, don't ride it, touch it with any tools, and ask the dealership to come take a look.

Most new bikes do make a burning smell as the cosmoline or other shipping crate oil / rust preventer burns off the hot parts.

Good luck! WIld West should stand behind what they did or didn"t do. They seem pretty stand up.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #30
ely2000

Bike(s):
2014 ducati monster 1200
ninja 650r
zx6r

ok i bought a small light and put it in the motor to get a better look and there is vary little oil it does not touch the chain in the case.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #31
ninjathatcould
UHD BPOC 241

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 EX250
(Totaled 08 XB12R)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to ninjathatcould
wild west honda? oh that's your problem right thur

ninjathatcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #32
train460
speed junky

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ely2000 View Post
ok i bought a small light and put it in the motor to get a better look and there is vary little oil it does not touch the chain in the case.
i don't think I could tell how much oil is in any of my bikes by looking down the fill hole.
Again get some help lean the bike over both sides and watch for the oil to either rise or drop.
where do u live?
I am in Cypress and off for the next 4 days. can stop by and help you look at it if u want.
Michael
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #33
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #34
switch
two fifty

keep us posted on how it goes at the dealer.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
Old 05-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #35
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #36
drksollomb

Bike(s):
triump daytona 675r
07 gsxr 600
03 specialized epic full susp.

Dude I got a similar problem with team mancuso off 59 south They sold me a bad bike from the get go and don't thk the bike is bad .don't let that place try to f--- u over cause that's what there trying to do to me right now. And I'm not done messing with them .
drksollomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #37
gsxr_firerider
you lite em, we fight em

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600- sold

keep us up to date with what happens
gsxr_firerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #38
switch
two fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksollomb View Post
Dude I got a similar problem with team mancuso off 59 south They sold me a bad bike from the get go and don't thk the bike is bad .don't let that place try to f--- u over cause that's what there trying to do to me right now. And I'm not done messing with them .
mind sharing what happened? what steps are you following to get the issue resolved? how is mancuso handling the situation? sorry for all the questions, just curious
CMRA #250
Old 05-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #39
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
All the advise above is very good. If you can tip the bike to the right while checking the level and the oil touches the bottom of the sight glass you could be only a quart low.

Has your bike been running hotter? Lack of lubrication would cause the metal to expand more and damage to the cylinderwalls due to lack of volume to create pressure and lubricate the rings. Once damaged the vacuum from the cylinders could actually burn more gas.

Keep everything documented well, write out your perspective w dates, times and names. Go over it several times; remind the dealer and allow them to see your documentation but do not offer it to them right away unless they want to argue over not servicing your concerns.

UNLESS you sign a workorder your phone calls or even visits will not be documented from the factories' eyes. Consider that in your arguements. They will see you came it an mileage complaining w no oil in the bike; clearly in their self-defensive view you were not maintaining it properly by checking fluids. Be ready to fight.

Last edited by CaligoneTx; 05-26-2009 at 09:08 PM.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #40
quicksaveme

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixmassive View Post
ride it there pinned on the limiter
for some reason i started laughing out loud imagining this