MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #21
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

I have given up the street. I am a total track hoe now. I have gotten so used to the track that the street just freaks me out. We sold our street bike and now all we have is track bikes.

In some ways I admire street riders for having the nerves it takes to ride the streets of Houston. I guess I am just getting old.:/
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Godsuki discovering new toy. BigComfy Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 16 03-11-2008 07:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #22
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

i used to have a ball goin on the back road rides etc

but ever since i wrecked at the track i have this underlying fear of eating on the streets...i just ride on the street from point a to point b...don't do the same type of riding i used to do

so i know where your coming from Brandt
SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #23
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Welcome to "life" Brandt... LOL!!! You'll figure it out, how to enjoy the street rides at a little "saner" pace and stilll have fun.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
tyme2move

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I did a route on Wednesday night. I did a twisty ride this morning. I dont ride as fast on the street as I used to.

I am scared to crash.

I think I used the track, in the beginning, to better my skills on the street and it did. Tremendously. We would run the back roads at well into upper triple digits and I had no fear. Crazy routes from PP1 at insane speeds, as well.

Having crashed a couple of times on the track recently and the occassional close call on the track have made me realize just how quick it can happen. I mean, within a split second, it is "OH !" and then I'm sliding across the pavement.

I cant help but have those passing thoughts as I am mid corner, on a backroad, in the middle of nowwhere. I think to myself, "man...if my front end tucks or a fkn dog runs out...it is gonna hurt....bad."

I dont know what I am trying to say...but today, while on backroads, it just wasnt the same. But you know what...we rode pretty chill..I still got to get my lean on...and it felt good. And safe.

I think I am FINALLY maturing and it fkn sux.
Naw... you have realized that you don't heal up as fast as you once did! Sad but true.
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #25
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

I feel the same way. I used to blaze through the straights, but now I go at sub warp speeds and just speed up a little entering the corner. It's about as fun and I know I am more in control. At 42 yrs of age it hurts more and takes longer to heal. If I'm at the back of a group I don't care so much anymore.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #26
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

romeo, let me borrow your SV!
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #27
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

ya crasing sux...and i can also say that having a crash truck and paramedics on close standby is only the way to go. I have also calmed it down on the streets....but hey, atleast i still ride the streets....Just for the pure plesure of riding...i don't need to hawl bawls and drag knee just to go visit friends and whatnot.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #28
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

I've learned Texas is where it's not at. The street offers different (& often better) perspectives than going in circles IMO. You lose exploration and adventure as a track only rider (again, IMO). Though, I firmly believe the streets aren't the place to learn one's "limits." And as a street rider, I will never really find what my bike (and future bikes) can do on the streets -- only at the track. Skill and knowledge are acquirable on both the streets & track, but I'd rather hone them on the track.

If I will live in Texas my whole life, then yes, I would be an track only rider. I'm not thank heavens. Hehe But better roads, better scenery, and better twisties exist beyond Texan country, and I will not stop street riding because of Texas's lackings.
Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #29
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajib View Post
I've learned Texas is where it's not at. The street offers different (& often better) perspectives than going in circles IMO. You lose exploration and adventure as a track only rider (again, IMO). Though, I firmly believe the streets aren't the place to learn one's "limits." And as a street rider, I will never really find what my bike (and future bikes) can do on the streets -- only at the track. Skill and knowledge are acquirable on both the streets & track, but I'd rather hone them on the track.

If I will live in Texas my whole life, then yes, I would be an track only rider. I'm not thank heavens. Hehe But better roads, better scenery, and better twisties exist beyond Texan country, and I will not stop street riding because of Texas's lackings.
You are probably right. Nice post. I went to Colorado in March and noticed the same "lackings" that Texas has. I had not REALLY noticed it until I started riding. I had been to Co. many times.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #30
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

After crashing last year on 3090 and being unable to ride for 6 months, going through back surgery, and a lot of pain....I came to the realization that I am actually not invincible.

Then, my first day back riding, I had a hi-speed wreck at MSR in the carousel. It hurts quite a bit, even with leathers on. I have not ridden the same since.

Stupid self-preservation gene.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #31
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Welcome to my world, although you got here sooner and younger than I did.

Brandt, you and I have spoke on this subject a few times, but I'll share my story to help lend some insight experience to some of the newer riders.

I've led / participated in many "high intensity" rides over a good portion of my over 30 year riding career.

About 5 years ago I came to the realization that the risk vs. reward wasn't worth it. I saw too many friends get seriously hurt / crippled, and attended way too many funerals, at least one a year of someone I knew pretty well.

These days I run with a small regular group of riders, and we're all a lot calmer than we used to be.

Don't get me wrong, we still run a good pace, but we have settled on a set of guidelines:
We observe a very conservative upper speed limit, typically 100 mph.

We don't ever put ourselves into a position where we don't have a good margin left to deal with unexpected occurences.

We ride in small groups and with people whose skills we're familiar with.
When the rare occasion occurs that a new rider joins us, we tone it down even more.

Since I've adopted this change, I haven't had to wait on the side of the road for a crash truck or ambulance in over 5 years. (knock on wood)

I still have a good amount of fun, and "get my lean on" but without being so crazed on adrenaline that it takes me an hour or more to calm down after the ride.

Glad to hear you've reached this point, and props to you, as a fairly high profile rider, for posting about it.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #32
Longstroke
"Skeeza-Pleeza"

Bike(s):
'05 R6 - SOLD

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Longstroke
Brandt your depressing me :( ..... (kidding)

I can totally understand though.....look at this way.....some folks don't even get a chance to reach this point!

good post and great reality-check message to everyone else out there (especially me)

big up's to ya, bro....

- Sorry babe, Pimps don't fall in love!
Longstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #33
Dobeman

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2009 Kawasaki 250R
2009 Yamaha Rhino Sport
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S

Good to hear someone coming to the realization of risk Vs. reward. I too have been where u r. I agree with Patrick's post.

I would like to see more threads like this one, instead of the RIP threads!
Dobeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #34
mrclean
Squid Pro Quo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda XL 600
Blackbird
RC51
1000RR
CB 350

Yeah the older one gets, the more one realizes the lack of immortality of ones self. Plus I also try to learn from others' mistakes.

If I am riding alone, which I almost always do, I limit my "throttle responses" because I have no safety net (unless you call moderation a safety net).

The main thing is: THINK ONE STEP AHEAD
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #35
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Sounds like as you mature the more life means to you. Young guys in their 20's think they are bullet proff and invincible and that is what causes people to get hurt and killed. I grew up on dirt and trail bikes as a kid and quit riding when I was about 15 because I lost interest. Good thing I did or I would have probably gotten killed or something knowing how wreckless I was in life. I started riding again about 4yrs ago. I felt like I was mature and responsible enough to do so.

Getting older changes your perspective on life. You've had a chance to establish a career and have usually gotten married and have kids. It makes you slow down and realize that others are depending on you to be mature and make sound decisions. I only wish I knew what I know now when I was younger. I could have had an even better life I think.

Advertisement