MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
JWatz
Squib

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2008 GSXR 600

Virgin Rat In The Desert

Well I made it to Houston after over 24 hours of driving. Any tips on driving on these things you guys call roads? Seems like im going to get squashed on the bike! Look forward to seeing you guys out there. Ill be the only one with a coat and gloves on from the looks of things. Alot of t shirts and no helmets out there.

Hopefully I can get a job squared away and get some free time to ride. Anyone want to hook me up with a nice tie and shirt job selling stuff or somethign?

Ex Troll,
Jeff
JWatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No longer a virgin.... maxgs Taking it to the Track 61 12-11-2007 09:29 PM
Track virgin no more. hotcknstrips Taking it to the Track 30 09-08-2005 04:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

welcome!

most of us here at MH wear our gear...and we poke at our friends whom dont. lol

If you are free tomorrow, we are going on an all day ride....

starts in SE houston. Check in the events section under "friday ride."
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Houston is full of gearless squids, you will find though a good majority of the frequent MHers know the importance of gear.

Welcome to the site.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
JWatz
Squib

Bike(s):
2008 GSXR 600

Any tips on not getting run over in traffic? Just seen how the people down here make their own rules. Just gota get used to it i suppose...
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Be very very alert when driving in Houston traffic. I rarely do it anymore because some of these peeps round here scare the out of me.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
ride like their out to get you...hate to tell you this but some of them ARE.

someone posted a thread last week or something about creeps in duallie trucks trying to run them off the road.

squids in houston are dime a dozen. splitting lanes with helmets strapped to the back of their bike... :(

the general attitude here is gear is good. we even have a some 1500 post thread to point and laugh at the people who dont gear up or ride like idiots...its the "wall of shame" thread.

enjoy, there is some really funny stuff in here...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ght=wall+shame
Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
rugbystar13
Addicted to Excess

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 ZX-14
1997 Yamaha Vmax 200hp (recently sold)

Member Garage

need to carry good unisured and underinsured insurance coverage. Lots of the locals don't have insurance or have the bare minimum. Not even enough to cover your meds if you have some time in the hospital. Coverage is cheap for good UMPD/UMBI like 50-100 a year. -Nick
rugbystar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

1st Welcome to MH

You will definately see allot of gearless folks out there. Allot of good people here on MH and majority wear the gear.
What side of Houston are you in?
South east side here. I only work 14 days a month, so riding is no issue here.
Gear up, ride safe and be defensive, and keep the sticky side down.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatz View Post
Any tips on not getting run over in traffic? Just seen how the people down here make their own rules. Just gota get used to it i suppose...
Be very alert. Know where you're going. The "Oh ! I shoulda turned there!" gets followed closely by SPLAT if you try to make that corner last-second.

For the most part, once you get used to the nature of the drivers here it's not so bad. The occasional dumbass texting while driving, but I'd take Houston drivers over most other cities I've been to.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

As a former troll here are some points I had to get used to.
1) Tailgating will not get the person in front to move over.
2) Everyone will slow down going over any type of hill (sight distance?)
3) People will match your speed and drive next to you. Drastic speed changes do work, I recommend accelerating because if you slow so will they and you will eventually catch back up to them.
4) No one uses cruise control (well almost).
5) People will slow if they see a popo even if they are doing the speed limit. You should already know this, but move over for a cop stopped on the side of the road. If you can't the law says you have to slow to 20mph under the limit when in the lane next to them.
6) Be extremely watchful if there is an accident. People will rubberneck like crazy and will rear end each other. This is worse the farther the lane is from the accident. Move along there is nothing for you to see.
7) Going fast will keep most obstacles in your field of view. Going slow in the right lane is a pain because people entering the freeway have the right of way and don't even bother to match speed.
8) No one gets into the lane they need to be in until the solid white line has changed to the split white lines just before the impact barrels. Watch accordingly.
9) If you are tailgating then try to pass on the right the car/truck in front will try to cut you off. If you swing back to the left they will do it again. Don't press people. These people have the "I am more important than you" attitude more than anyplace else I have lived.
10) HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes can be ridden with one up motorcycles.
11) If in a line of cars predict the most likely lane that will try to merge into yours and ride so that they can see you behind the car in front of you. E.g. left lane ride so that the middle lane can see you (right side of lane). A bit creepy at first 'cause you are closer to the danger, but otherwise if they only see a gap between the car/truck in front of and behind you they won't even check before moving over.
12) Turn signals are optional equipment on vehicles here (not). A car/truck will usually signal by crowding towards the lane they intend to enter. This is generally done right next to a vehicle in the target lane and combined with a gradual deceleration. Once the car/truck bumpers have .001" clearance then the encroaching vehicle will swerve quickly into the target lane. Slow down and let them in or bail on the target lane to give these idiots space.
I hope this helps. I commute on I45 from Galveston to Houston daily and see all kinds of stupid chit. I ride with helmet, gauntlet gloves, Textile jacket with integrated armor and upgraded back protector, textile pants with hip armor, knee/shin pads, Mil spec reflective vest, and moto specific boots. ATGATT. Oh and loud exhausts have helped reduce the lane merger dumba$$es.
Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Peace.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp

Last edited by spartandude; 05-22-2009 at 10:48 AM.
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
01ducatiss

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2001 ducati 750 supersport

Send a message via Yahoo to 01ducatiss
Be careful if u put on ur blinker it gives your position away to the houstonian, they will use strong tactics to keep u behind them.
01ducatiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
As a former troll here are some points I had to get used to.
1) Tailgating will not get the person in front to move over.
2) Everyone will slow down going over any type of hill (sight distance?)
3) People will match your speed and drive next to you. Drastic speed changes do work, I recommend accelerating because if you slow so will they and you will eventually catch back up to them.
4) No one uses cruise control (well almost).
5) People will slow if they see a popo even if they are doing the speed limit. You should already know this, but move over for a cop stopped on the side of the road. If you can't the law says you have to slow to 20mph under the limit when in the lane next to them.
6) Be extremely watchful if there is an accident. People will rubberneck like crazy and will rear end each other. This is worse the farther the lane is from the accident. Move along there is nothing for you to see.
7) Going fast will keep most obstacles in your field of view. Going slow in the right lane is a pain because people entering the freeway have the right of way and don't even bother to match speed.
8) No one gets into the lane they need to be in until the solid white line has changed to the split white lines just before the impact barrels. Watch accordingly.
9) If you are tailgating then try to pass on the right the car/truck in front will try to cut you off. If you swing back to the left they will do it again. Don't press people. These people have the "I am more important than you" attitude more than anyplace else I have lived.
10) HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes can be ridden with one up motorcycles.
11) If in a line of cars predict the most likely lane that will try to merge into yours and ride so that they can see you behind the car in front of you. E.g. left lane ride so that the middle lane can see you (right side of lane). A bit creepy at first 'cause you are closer to the danger, but otherwise if they only see a gap between the car/truck in front of and behind you they won't even check before moving over.
12) Turn signals are optional equipment on vehicles here (not). A car/truck will usually signal by crowding towards the lane they intend to enter. This is generally done right next to a vehicle in the target lane and combined with a gradual deceleration. Once the car/truck bumpers have .001" clearance then the encroaching vehicle will swerve quickly into the target lane. Slow down and let them in or bail on the target lane to give these idiots space.
I hope this helps. I commute on I45 from Galveston to Houston daily and see all kinds of stupid chit. I ride with helmet, gauntlet gloves, Textile jacket with integrated armor and upgraded back protector, textile pants with hip armor, knee/shin pads, Mil spec reflective vest, and moto specific boots. ATGATT. Oh and loud exhausts have helped reduce the lane merger dumba$.
Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Peace.
great post

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ducatiss View Post
Be careful if u put on ur blinker it gives your position away to the houstonian, they will use strong tactics to keep u behind them.
+1 forgot about that.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
Old 05-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

+great post....
ride ULTRA defensive. I personally recommend "semi" aggressive riding for commuting as if you just "troll" along they'll be up in your non existent grill in no time. I recommend you move reasonably through traffic and position yourself at all times remembering they'll not use blinkers and swerve into your lane, and have your exit constantly in mind, whether it be on the white line to split to avoid or brake (if someones not on your tail)..

my experince from almost 2 years of daily riding in Houston. It's a beast out there so be prepared.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Just so everyone knows the troll reference. This is a Michigan specific term. Since there is the upper and lower peninsulas in Michigan those whole live in the upper are known as yoopers (pronounced you-pers) while those on the lower are known as trolls. This is due to the Mackinac (pronounced mack-ih-naw) bridge and living in the lower peninsula means you live under the bridge which leads to the fairy tale monster in the three billy goats gruff = thus we were trolls.
Rats are those who abandon a sinking ship. Reference to the economy of Michigan
Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #16
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Don't forget about turning lanes. For some reason here when you have two lanes that can turn the drivers on the outside lane feel they have the right of way to take the inside lane at the apex of the turn. This happens to me almost every work day turning from the Katy Freeway onto Hwy 6. It doesn't matter what you're driving or riding they will take the lane without even glancing in your direction. Be prepared to accelerate and re-merge into the lane you aready had.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

CHL
Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
CHL
Why conceal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rifle moto.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	23502  
Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #19
Costas

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
Ride faster than the speed of traffic to stay visible. Might result in a ticket or two but that's more like a tax of riding a bike. Also if you keep your insurance up to date and treat cops politely, 95% chance they'll let you off with a warning.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #20
JWatz
Squib

Bike(s):
2008 GSXR 600

Looks like Im going to start driving it Tuesday. Insurance needs to be taken off storage. 249 still scares me a bit but FM 1960 and Jones road around where I live are a breeze. So anyone in the Cypress woods area that wants to go for a ride give me a buzz and i would love to tag along. 231 342 5964

Advertisement