MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Dont like the thought of my son ridng a motorcyle.

Well, I have a 15 month old baby boy and every time I think of him growing up and wanting to ride a bike, I just dont like it. Kinda hypocritical, I know, but it really bugs me.

I guess I know what I have seen and all the BS I have done and all the people I have had to scrape off the road. On a track and stuff its cool but on the street, no way.

Maybe I will shove it down his throat like the crazy football dads and make him hate it by the time he is a teenager.

I guess i can deal with my own death, just cant deal at the thought of his.
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcyle carrier? B. Seen General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 03-06-2013 04:25 PM
Like father, like son. Marion Barry's son arrested for drugs. eltejano Off Topic 0 07-13-2011 08:35 PM
RIDNG 50'S SUNDAY ANTISOCIAL Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 02-24-2008 12:10 AM
whos ridng the mh bar bq NO MORE F4I Stunters Lounge 15 05-29-2007 07:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
level5
moving chicane

When he is old enough to ride/race put him in tmgp or mini cmra. That way it would take all the riding out of him when he grows up, or maybe not.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Let him live life..
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Yeah my dad wont let me come visit him on my bike, literally it bothers me alot because I enjoy the sport and he doesnt even want to hear about how good I did at a trackday or a the great times at a fun event, it really sucks. Does he not realize that Im not going to quit the sport so adapt to it. Its like those kids that become emo and the parents completely force normal ways to be and dress thus causing their kid to really go straight in the opposite directions the harder you push the worst it gets.

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
flyininja
if ya cant duc it f*k it

Bike(s):
none, but i can use flynducs or ninjananas

Send a message via Skype™ to flyininja
my dad, fly'n'duc, agrees with you i'm sure. i think most parents feel that way. i know i worry about stuff like that too. but realistic not to be pessimistic but anyone can really die from anything. just teach him right and only let him ride with you for a while.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I worry about my lil girl, but when it comes down to it I would rather teach her to ride safely and gear up than try to keep her away and then have to worry even more when she ends up as a passenger on some guy's bike
Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
tyme2move

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Well, I have a 15 month old baby boy and every time I think of him growing up and wanting to ride a bike, I just dont like it. Kinda hypocritical, I know, but it really bugs me.

I guess I know what I have seen and all the BS I have done and all the people I have had to scrape off the road. On a track and stuff its cool but on the street, no way.

Maybe I will shove it down his throat like the crazy football dads and make him hate it by the time he is a teenager.

I guess i can deal with my own death, just cant deal at the thought of his.
That is the way we are supposed to feel as parents. Outliving our children is our biggest fear. Try to enjoy your son, don't let the fear/worry rule you. He is only 15 months old. Who knows? He may not have any interest in riding. But don't be fooled...there will always be other reasons to worry. Trust me, I know.. I have an 18 yr old and a 6 yr old. You have to resist the urge to wrap 'em in bubble wrap.
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
When he is old enough to ride/race put him in tmgp or mini cmra. That way it would take all the riding out of him when he grows up, or maybe not.
I agree. But mang, he is only 15 months old. You have plenty of time to worry about other stuff. Jus sayin.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Totally understand have two daughters and both wanted to ride street and I couldn't bring myself to let em. Get him into dirt at a young age and then if he does graduate to street tell him that every cager want to kill him ride thinking that way and you might stay alive to ride another day.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
flyininja
if ya cant duc it f*k it

Bike(s):
none, but i can use flynducs or ninjananas

Send a message via Skype™ to flyininja
i am almost 25 and til this day the only guy bi have ever rode with was my dad. i enjoy our father daughter days out on the bike. and i find that most of the guys i'd like to ride with ride like idiots. and i value my life lol. i know i'm taken, but maybe someday i'll find the right guy who rides and can take me on a spin with me feeling safe.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
Let him live life..
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Everything is dangerous. If you try to keep him away from things he loves, he will resent you; not comply with your demands.

I have two kids (11 and 12) and when my daughter is old enough she'll take msf and get a little 250. She has her eye on the Ninja. They both have dirt bikes and my son rides his whenever I let him- I'm sure they'll both be riding with me before too long.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
DLSGAP
Whats the &quot;Dragon&quot;

Bike(s):
'11 FZ8

its all about raising him to be mature and educated when it comes to riding.. rarely do you find out that some rider who had to be scraped off the road started riding when they were young.

get him started as soon as he can ride a bike w/out training wheels and teach him to be safe and responsible on a bike. Make him do some little maintenance on it too so he relizes its not just all fun and games.. keep a level head on his shoulders and he'll grow up to be a good rider... as long as he has some natural ability with it and has an interest in doing it

my son is almost 5 months old now.. and I've already got his first bike sitting in the garage

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you "
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
I don't have a problem with the idea of my daughter riding one. Heck, I put her on the back with me every chance I get. She's hopefully going to her first rally this weekend in fact.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by squoddybody View Post
Everything is dangerous. If you try to keep him away from things he loves, he will resent you; not comply with your demands.

I have two kids (11 and 12) and when my daughter is old enough she'll take msf and get a little 250. She has her eye on the Ninja. They both have dirt bikes and my son rides his whenever I let him- I'm sure they'll both be riding with me before too long.
My little monster seems to prefer bikes like Daddy's - emphasis on comfort and storage rather than speed. Of course, i think the big backrests have something to do with that...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Some of my best memories as a child involved motorcycles so I couldn't deny our son that enjoyment in life. All you can do is hope for the best.

Our son rides, I TRIED to instill every value I had learned throughout my lifetime riding bikes, and what was passed to me by my father.
He had dirtbikes growing up and 4 wheelers. He got a proper starter bike when he was 16 ex250.

Then all hope for him being a responsible safe rider came crashing down when me and his mom caught him riding down the street standing on the seat. He was 18 and out of our home, so not much we could do.. I found internet forums to see how I could figure out how to stop stunting on the public streets. For a little while he did get with the parking lot crews stunting 50's..

Countless wrecks/suspended DL and some jail time later.. The good news is at 22 he is too broke to continue riding motorcycles... ha ha

Oh, and we have a 2m old daughter, she will ride when she is ready or wants too..

Last edited by tarosean; 05-21-2009 at 11:12 AM.
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
b18c1ej8
semi-n00b

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2001 CBR 600 F4I

Im 23 and I have had a bike for about three years but wanted one since i was 8. Im pretty sure when i was 15 you could/can get a license for 250 or smaller my parents never let me and having waited till i was 21 I know am glad they didnt, I wasnt near mature enough at that time. (based on things i did in my car) But maturity is diff for every person your son may well be mature enough by that time so I would say relax for the next 15 yrs haha and wait and see
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 10-6:30 Sat. 9-6
281 444 0545
patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com

Motorcycles Unlimited Sig1
b18c1ej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

i know my mom wishes we didnt ride, but my dad has always had a motorcycle, and when i turned 16 he went with me and we got a 1981 xs650. perfect learner bike. when my little brother turned 16, they went and got him a gs500f. so needless to say, im 23 now, my whole family rides.....my dad would never tell us that we couldnt have one, just told us what to expect when we were riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

i understand where youre coming from i was like that with my 4 yr old boy and i was like you when he was born but now i just gotta teach him values, honor, respect and how to rock out with his stock out and he'lll be ok....man good luck with that, whats that old saying.

one often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.....
Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #20
amoney420

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
99 kawasaki ninja zx6r
want a 50

iam about to have a kid, iam goin to start them out early on dirt bikes n such so they are familiar. i wouldnt mind if they ride. but i couldnt deal with them crashin and getting hurt.
amoney420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement