Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
xjx

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2006 Suziki M109
2007 Suzuki M109R2 (sold)
2005 Honda 1300 VTX (sold)
2004 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600 (sold)
97 Yamaha FZR 600 (sold)

new rider update

You might remember I bought tojo92's bike about a month ago. OK, since then I have about 300 miles under my belt, mostly in my neighborhood and surrounding areas. I typically stay on roads posted at 40 - 45 mph. I gotta say I'm feeling more comfortable at higher speeds now. Wind gusts tend to spook me a little. I slow down a bit when the winds are gusty.

My daughter (Sarah) has about 100 miles under her belt. Most all in the neighborhood. I want her to get out on some real streets soon, but only with experienced riders in a group. I think she'll like it. Just a lil at a time.

We both dropped it once. She dropped it when "walking" it , trying to turn around in a cul de sac. I dropped it once.....AT A STOP SIGN! That's a bad feeling. But, hey, we're both new riders. It was bound to happen. No major damage of any kind, just a few scratches. I hated to have it happen, but if those are the only lumps we take... we're good.

Still lovin' the bike. I can't wait to ride again!
xjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rider Down - Update Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 03-26-2012 01:15 PM
UPDATE: Sumaritans lifting car off Rider.. Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-16-2011 10:26 AM
Rider down last night at ASI update? humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 72 09-17-2009 11:06 PM
Sport Rider Journalist Andrew Trevitt Update Txagharrison General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-27-2008 04:10 AM
update on a rider accident Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-01-2008 10:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
TREE
Professional Partier

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2002 Honda F4i (street/stunt)
2009 TTR50 (stunt/street-illegally)
2006 crf50
1984 CB700sc Nighthawk

TAKE MSF IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY...

BEFORE you get onto populated streets... you're reflexes need to be strengthened around cars... know your 'outs'...

its a fun hobby... but a dangerous one as well
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
If more people watched , the world would be a much more peaceful place!
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

diddo. Take MSF, and personally I wouldn't recommend "but only with experienced riders in a group." Group riding is NOT recommended for a beginner typically. It's a bit too dangerous. You have to learn to guage other riders, its different than following a car.

#1 Ride in groups of 2-3 max if necessary. Having one experinced rider there DOES help.
#2 Ride during NON PRIMETIME hours, with no traffic to get comfortable
#3 Go pratice the MSF techiques a few times in a parking lot (i went Mansucos after they were closed and ran the patterns in the lot).

FYI, slow speeds are the toughest to control. Don't feel bad. I was on my 250, had ridden and wailed on it all day with guys that all had 1000cc's, so it was defintely aggressive riding for me. Watched a movie... then dropped it in the parking lot on my foot at 4-5 mph and flooded it. Yeah... it happens. No shame, now you know to train for slower speeds and be a little more careful.

MSF

MSF

MSF

MSF

and practice. best wishes on your riding.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
jdm_phunk
RideTillDeathDoUsPart

Bike(s):
05 CBR 600RR
50cC pocKet rocKet
95 Toyota Supra TT
95 ciVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjx View Post
You might remember I bought tojo92's bike about a month ago. OK, since then I have about 300 miles under my belt, mostly in my neighborhood and surrounding areas. I typically stay on roads posted at 40 - 45 mph. I gotta say I'm feeling more comfortable at higher speeds now. Wind gusts tend to spook me a little. I slow down a bit when the winds are gusty.

My daughter (Sarah) has about 100 miles under her belt. Most all in the neighborhood. I want her to get out on some real streets soon, but only with experienced riders in a group. I think she'll like it. Just a lil at a time.

We both dropped it once. She dropped it when "walking" it , trying to turn around in a cul de sac. I dropped it once.....AT A STOP SIGN! That's a bad feeling. But, hey, we're both new riders. It was bound to happen. No major damage of any kind, just a few scratches. I hated to have it happen, but if those are the only lumps we take... we're good.

Still lovin' the bike. I can't wait to ride again!

you can come ride with us DSR crew. meet up wed nights @ 730 off 45 and cavalcade @ the exxon on the corner. pm me if ur interested

BTW= !!And try to stay off the freeway untill your completly comfortable with ur bike and the local streets!! dont try and push ur riding ability..

This IS the biKe racK. . . RighT??

Last edited by jdm_phunk; 05-19-2009 at 05:48 PM.
jdm_phunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
xjx

Bike(s):
2006 Suziki M109
2007 Suzuki M109R2 (sold)
2005 Honda 1300 VTX (sold)
2004 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600 (sold)
97 Yamaha FZR 600 (sold)

WE've both taken the MSF course. We both have practiced a lot around my neighborhood (which is very quiet, with a lot of cul de sacs), and we both now have quite a bit of low speed riding.

I agree, not to push our riding ability. I only go as fast as I'm comfy with and I typically rise at non-peak traffic times. (Early Sat. or Sun mornings are good).
xjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

I dropped my bike at a stop sign once too ... forgot to put my feet down.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Dan,

We ALL have dropped bikes, main thing is that you and your daughter weren't hurt. Scratches just add a little character to the bike.

If you want to get together early one Sat or Sunday when the traffic is low, I'd be glad to take you on a nice route that might be able to help you out with your comfort level.

Just let me know.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max