MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #61
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by seratt View Post
Look into a mesh jacket. All I wear is a Cortech mesh I got for my bday. Probably cost, new, about 170 or so. I could be wrong though, haven't priced them in awhile.
Fukk mesh. They tear up easily and end up not protecting you very well.
, I bought a used Dianese perferated leather jacket for $175.
It probably vents better than most mesh jackets out there too.
Why is all the good gear so expensive? Because it WORKS.

Leather > *

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Squid theManofRussia General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 12-11-2012 03:03 AM
squid ALLWAYS12 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 11-22-2010 12:26 AM
SQUID!!!!! 1slocbr General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 03-03-2009 02:52 PM
Am I a Squid? davidrr General Discussion (Moto Related) 64 09-06-2006 04:30 AM
squid... flip326 Off Topic 11 07-04-2006 01:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #62
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratt View Post
Good point, although each to his own beliefs.

I still feel my faith is my best defense on my bike. I never ride without my rosary and praying an act of contrition. lol

Although, just because I have faith, I feel it's still my duty to keep myself as safe as I can. It's a joint effort. =)
Joint effort I love it. We the way we ride we need all the help we can get huh?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #63
DLSGAP
Whats the "Dragon"

Bike(s):
'11 FZ8

the term Squid has evolved over the years. Back when i first heard it.. it had nothing to do with a rider's apparel, but rather their behavior... the way they rode dictated their squidness... it was generally a nickname given to noobs who made stupid mistakes or just acted like complete douche bags.

Now days someone rides without a jacket or helmet and they're a squid. I don't totally agree with this... Now if they're stuntin with next to no gear or only half gear on then yeah.. they're squiddin it up.. but just going for a ride without a jacket in my opinion doesnt make someone a squid in my mind... a little stupid perhaps, but not a squid as long as they're not riding like an

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you "
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #64
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSGAP View Post
the term Squid has evolved over the years. Back when i first heard it.. it had nothing to do with a rider's apparel, but rather their behavior... the way they rode dictated their squidness... it was generally a nickname given to noobs who made stupid mistakes or just acted like complete douche bags.

Now days someone rides without a jacket or helmet and they're a squid. I don't totally agree with this... Now if they're stuntin with next to no gear or only half gear on then yeah.. they're squiddin it up.. but just going for a ride without a jacket in my opinion doesnt make someone a squid in my mind... a little stupid perhaps, but not a squid as long as they're not riding like an
exactly. If your going to be doing goofy stuff that you ain't very good at wear some stuff in case you eat it. And remember if you have been drinking and your stunting wear the michelin man outfit...you'll need it.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #65
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse11 View Post
well does anyone know where too buy a good jacket for cheap
Cycle Gear has some pretty decent armored and padded denim jackets for $50.00. That's about as cheap as you're going to find.

Also try eBay, Jafrum.com, and a host of other websites.

Now, with that said, I typically wear neither helmet nor jacket, but that is by choice. I have excellent gear hanging in the closet. I also ride a big ole cruiser and the risk is lower.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #66
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse11 View Post
I ride with a helmet, gloves and jeans.. but i hardly ever where a jacket... now does this make me a squid im sorta still new on all the rules.. im looking for a jacket but all just too expensive...
Not really. I ride the same way.. it seems like you care what people think about u lol
Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #67
agg2001
Agg Racing

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 R6 (track)

Send a message via AIM to agg2001 Send a message via MSN to agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to agg2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Fukk mesh. They tear up easily and end up not protecting you very well.
, I bought a used Dianese perferated leather jacket for $175.
It probably vents better than most mesh jackets out there too.
Why is all the good gear so expensive? Because it WORKS.

Leather > *
mesh isn't bad. it's just a "one time jacket". meaning, it WILL tear but the armor in it won't. then after you're done sliding, you'll have to buy another one. patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited told me this... "it's a throw away jacket in terms of use" iirc.

although, leather > anything, but for some, leather isn't viable simply b/c of budget.

mesh < textile < leather

this is true for both price AND durability.

and to the OP... who cares? do you ride like a douche? if so, then yea, you are. if not, don't worry about it. if you go down without gear, it won't hurt my body one bit. so YOU live for YOU.

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."
agg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #68
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

yes

no full gear = squid
Even if you are a good rider, you can't guarantee 100% infallibility in your bike, yourself, or other drivers, so you do squid it when you neglect full gear, to me that INCLUDES riding pants. (but the majority may not agree with me on that).

What are you doing spending thousands on motorcycle and yet a jacket is "expensive"? I spent $2200 on my first bike, ex250. I spent $1900 on my first full set of gear, (commute full time). I considered it a long term investment and walking away would pay for itself.

Best wishes.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #69
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I must of missed that conversation.

Well, I dont subscribe to the whole "squid" thing. I think you have riders and jackasses, nothing more, nothing less.

And you my friend, are a jackass.
Thats what I was getting at. Jackasses can be in full leather too.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #70
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
yes

no full gear = squid
Even if you are a good rider, you can't guarantee 100% infallibility in your bike, yourself, or other drivers, so you do squid it when you neglect full gear, to me that INCLUDES riding pants. (but the majority may not agree with me on that).

What are you doing spending thousands on motorcycle and yet a jacket is "expensive"? I spent $2200 on my first bike, ex250. I spent $1900 on my first full set of gear, (commute full time). I considered it a long term investment and walking away would pay for itself.

Best wishes.
I disagree. I've seen squids riding in full Dianese leathers and some of the most conservative riders wearing nothing but jeans and a t-shirt.

Being a squid is a mentality, not a gear deficiency.

And yes - i think riding pants are silly at low speeds - and yes, 60-70 is low speed. Sure, you dress for the crash, but nobody drives their car wearing a helmet, nomex underwear, leathers and a 5-point race harness inside a roll cage. Same thing with a motorcycle on the street.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #71
Jesse11
k600 rider

Bike(s):
kawasaki 600

I don't really care what ppl think about me just need opinions on what's better and knowledge on riding I appreciate all the help.!!!. I went to buy a jacket at cycle gear nothing then to eximports cycles nothing then stubbs 59 nothing then that other Kawasaki shop nothing it seems no one wants to carry size small anymore oh well I look more tomorrow if not I'll just order offline!!
Jesse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #72
BabyGirlGSXR
GSXRd Again

Bike(s):
07' 750 GSXR (Custom) RIP
07' 750 GSXR (Blue) RIP
05' Dyna Lowrider
08' 600 GSXR (Black Corona)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to BabyGirlGSXR
Call it what you want.... 80 % of the time I do not wear a jacket........
My reasons....
A. I can not find one that fits properly!!! I have 3 jackets and I have a problem with them all(not the same prob in all the jackets.) Yeh I have tried on a million of them....
B. I can not move well in the couple that I have... goes back to the fit.
C. I have panic attacks... I feel like I am going to suffocate and cant get out. <--- Dumb huh? But very serious.
D. I'm not going to have a stroke in 98 degree weather, im fat and sweat enough already.

And YES I am aware of the chance I am taking! has things in store for me and if a rash is one of them, So be it!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #73
Jesse11
k600 rider

Bike(s):
kawasaki 600

Oh yeah online
Na it's cool my friend got rid of his bike so he's giving me his jacket
Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #74
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I can't believe this thread title? Who cares what people think of you dude. I never understood why people get so hung up on what people think of them. If they like you great if they label you some stupid term people made up because they weren't like them...who cares. I am sure maybe like one or two people(maybe more ) think I am nuts. Do I loose sleep over it heck no. I loose sleep over important stuff like taxes, what hussein is doing to this country, my kids and why ain't i getting faster at the track.

Squid...because you don't wear a jacket oh my gosh. Wear one if you want don't if you don't want to. People act like a jacket is going to save your life. If that big rig hits you after you fall off the $300 kevlar alphine jacket ain't doing . Better to have faith in Christ that think safety gear is going to save ya.
He's probably still young and impressionable.

But seriously, I agree with you for the most part. I always get a chuckle, with a wee bit of annoyance, at these "squid" threads.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #75
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:

The original meaning still is the definition. I wouldn't say it has evolved over the years, but rather distorted.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #76
Charliebrown

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
zzr

Dude ill give you one of my old jackets, pm me.
Charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #77
Jesse11
k600 rider

Bike(s):
kawasaki 600

Pm sent
Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #78
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
I disagree. I've seen squids riding in full Dianese leathers and some of the most conservative riders wearing nothing but jeans and a t-shirt.

Being a squid is a mentality, not a gear deficiency.

And yes - i think riding pants are silly at low speeds - and yes, 60-70 is low speed. Sure, you dress for the crash, but nobody drives their car wearing a helmet, nomex underwear, leathers and a 5-point race harness inside a roll cage. Same thing with a motorcycle on the street.
hmm. First we're talking about gear, i wasn't referring to being a safe rider.
Secondly if you think 60-70 mph is low speed, jump off and test your jeans. I'll take my riding pants over jeans anyday. May not be full leather, but at least its a little extra and at 60-70 that belt-grinder of a road ain't going to be friendly. I wear full back protection on my daily commute, boots, riding pants, gloves, jacket, helmet, reflective vest, ie close to the works. I still feel that I could use more, ie 1 piece with full armour.

I personally ride to KEEP riding.

best wishes though, ain't judging you personally, just telling you from my standpoint anytime you go out without full gear, you are risking yourself unnecessarily, more than you need to with the inherent risks of our passion.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #79
Longstroke
"Skeeza-Pleeza"

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'05 R6 - SOLD

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Longstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Who me? Dave C is a jackass. And he is a MOD to boot. That aint gangsta? I just called a MOD a jackass.
CDILL you crack me up~!!

- Sorry babe, Pimps don't fall in love!
Longstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #80
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
hmm. First we're talking about gear, i wasn't referring to being a safe rider.
Secondly if you think 60-70 mph is low speed, jump off and test your jeans. I'll take my riding pants over jeans anyday. May not be full leather, but at least its a little extra and at 60-70 that belt-grinder of a road ain't going to be friendly. I wear full back protection on my daily commute, boots, riding pants, gloves, jacket, helmet, reflective vest, ie close to the works. I still feel that I could use more, ie 1 piece with full armour.

I personally ride to KEEP riding.

best wishes though, ain't judging you personally, just telling you from my standpoint anytime you go out without full gear, you are risking yourself unnecessarily, more than you need to with the inherent risks of our passion.
Hey - that's your choice. I guess you drive the car wearing a helmet, leathers, nomex, and a 5 point race harness?

Yes - the gear helps. It sure does. However, part of what I enjoy about riding is the freedom - and being wrapped up in a full suit of armor takes away a lot of that freedom.

Advertisement