MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
VulcanRider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
09 Vulcan LT

Safe Riding in pairs

I'm a new rider, I have been to class and have my endorsement. How do you stay safe riding in pairs? If one makes the light and the other doesn't what do you do? I've tried a bluetooth helmets and that doesnt seem to work very good. Me and my friend have been riding less than a year and I'm trying to be as safe as I can be.
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
“Never Has There Been A Safe Vaccine. Never Will There Be A Safe Vaccine” – Dr. Suzan Petro Off Topic 68 05-10-2014 08:13 PM
Safe Group Riding stlal General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-04-2007 03:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

I normally just pull over and wait, also its good to go over the route before hand, and that way everyone knows where they are going.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Put the more experienced that has ridden in the front and he needs to leave enough room. Just like leading in a large group brake before a light if its been green for a while and plan all movements/lane changes/etc for the group together, not solo(so that everyone else has to catch up.)

If both have the same experience, leave enough room and ride defensively. Overtime you will learn to watch everything and expect things. Things like watch the mirrors at a light, watching front tires of cars while beside them and focusing on opposite lane paint lines in blind corners comes with time.

As mentioned above, we pull over or slow to a crawl if the road isn't busy and there isn't anyone cutting the group apart. Remember you are responsible for your own ride.

Best wishes and always gear up.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I don't know if braking before the light changes is a good idea when it's just a couple of bikes. In a big group, maybe, but with two bikes you have to be concerned with what the other drivers are gonna do when you brake unexpectedly.
My advice would be for each of you to ride your own ride and if one makes a light then the other pulls over in the nearest safe place and waits. No big deal.

Also always ride staggered, not side by side. Use turn signals and hand gestures to let each other know what you are gonna do.
Don't f*ck around.

Always gear up.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R