Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

LSTD Mini at Hallet

well the week started out with an 80% chance of rain so i packed up all of my rain gear expecting the worst. i was quite nervous all week leading up to fridays flight out to Tulsa, Ok. Thanks to Ronnie Hay for carrying the teams equipment to Hallet for us, we owe you big for that my man. Cliff and I have never been to Hallet, never seen the track and haven't really heard much talk about the track prior to Friday. So thanks to SBKPilot, Cliff (hotnanas) and I hitched a ride to Hobby airport friday mid afternoon, our flight took off at 3:15, after meeting up with our lovely but very spoiled pit girl at the airport we entered the plane, took our seats and took flight for 1 hour and 35 minutes. man, i was nervous the whole flight, kept looking out the window for the rain and dark skies as we got closer to Tulsa, it never got wet, no darkness, so now i'm thinking maybe we'll get lucky.

As we land, we head down to the rental car spot and pick up our "luxurious" chrysler 300 (NOT, it was spacious but, no leather; what is luxury with out leather seats?) so we could get back and forth to the airport, the track and to the hotel. We decided since we had plenty of time before the gates closed at the track that we would head to the track so we would know exactly where to go in the morning, we had to be there as soon as tech opened.

Upon arriving at the track we stop at the entrance to pay our gate fee for the weekend, wow, i could hardly see any track surface, ahead of us all we could see was a closed yellow gate, beyond the gate was the track surface, no crossing the track while it was hot; so we waiting maybe 15 minutes for the track day to draw to it's close, they open the gate, we enter and wander where the heck do we go?? so we find Markn and he instructs us where to go, gets on his pit bike and leads us to the rest of the LSTD teams that were at the track for the weekend. Man, the grounds were huge, the track is up and down, round and round. i couldn't see much of the track from the elevation.

I get out of the car, walk around say my highs, shake some hands and steal a bottle of water and asked about the updated rain chance for the next morning, (still 70%). I see some bleachers where people were watching the CMRA mock race so I head that way to see the layout of the track. WOW, the track looks amazing with the elevation, the turns, and the grounds were quite nice, pretty green grass everywhere, nicely painted curbing. i decide to walk around in the pits some more so i head down the bleachers when "BAM" my first crash of the weekend, i slip on the last 4 stairs headed down off the bleachers, got a little road rash on both fore arms. no biggie, at least i didn't hit my head and scratch my helmet.

At this point i still hadn't seen but a few turns of the track, the elevation is everywhere, with each turn, it either goes up or down. I'm quite nervous, a new track (to me) knowing i only get a few laps for practice before i start the race tomorrow.

Cliff and i get a feel for everything, find the registration area, tech area, and picked out a pit spot for the next days event. We load the rental car with as much gear and needed equipment as we could so that we can get our pit spot set up for the morning.

We say our good byes and head out for the hotel; it was about a 25 minute drive to the hotel. nothing too close to the track at all. We are looking for something to eat as we are all 3 starving for food. All we see are fast food places, not really something we had really wanted to stuff into our gut before the race along with the "Rib Crib". as we get to the hotel and check in, drop off our bags, ask the hotel attendant where we should eat, "well, there's only fast food" so we venture out a little on our own and decided to eat at the Rib Crib, let's try out the Oklahoma's version of BBQ, not expecting anything special, they had 3 different styles, flavors of BBQ sauces on each table, now my mouth is watering; BBQ makes or brakes the BBQ taste for me.

We decided to order different meals, i get the Brisket and smoked Turkey, Cliff decided to split a meal with the little lady, he only got 2 small ribs. Cliff was drooling over the taste of the ribs, the BBQ sauces were fantastic tasting so the BBQ was actually quite tasty. Our nice waitress told cliff since it was all you could eat ribs, that she would just bring him another plate, saved us 8$

After eating, we head back to the hotel, i check the weather for the next day, 40% chance of rain, i was somewhat relieved but still dissatisfied as i knew that it would a PITA to race in the rain. We get some sleep, wake up to head out by 6 am.

Arrive at the track, finish setting up. Grabbed our registration paper work, get the bike and head over to tech. Got the bike teched in about 2 minutes,(thanks tech guy) get the bike to the pits, start it and warm up for practice time. wait around for the riders meeting, they luckily announced the race to be a "dry mini race" Shew, what a freaking relief that was to hear. I look around and there must have been 12-15 young kids to be racing with and against us, i was thinking "these kids have no fear" we're going to have to keep an eye on them, they'll be passing everywhere. So, practice is called for 30 of the shortest minutes that i've ever experienced in racing, we've not been here, we get 15 minutes of practice each to go out and learn a brand new, very technical course.

Cliff comes in from the first 12 minutes of practice and says "it's bad " so i'm thinking "sweet" this should be fun. WOWSERS, there is elevation everywhere, all of the turns and even the straights are blind, i was a little worried in practice, i wasn't picking up the lines or the turns, i was quite nervous as i was starting the race and with only 4 practice laps (my only 4 laps on the track period) under my belt.

We wait around nervously almost 2 hours for the start of the race.

They finally give the 5 minute board for the start of the 2 hour endurance race, with our Go Pro Camera mounted up on the cross bar and ready for some racing action, i suit up ready to make my mark on the track and the competition.

I go out for my out/warm up lap, come around to the starting grid, grab my spot, Linz (racer997) gives me a and pats me on the back for good luck, (thanks for all the tips linz) (and sorry about the horn) everyone is gridded in the right spot. The board comes up, the green flag is raised and off we go, i get a good start, passing quite a few bikes leading into turn 2 and then, (OH ) "i'm lost, how do i make it through here with 10 other bikes at the same time"??? finally turn 2 is over and we're headed to T2, up hill blind crest, i crest the hill going full tilt, start braking for T3 and wow, i'm going too fast and don't know how to get through this one either; i finally get around it, start heading uphill into the next turn, it's another blind hill crest then you have to be leaning over to make the next turn. we're now headed downhill into a wet turn, make it around that one just fine, (still hadn't figured out the lines yet) headed up hill again with a blind right turn (ALL of these hills and turns are blind, you just don't know where the track goes to); get through that one and flick over to the next blind turn full tilt in 5th, click it into 6th headed into the "bus stop" a wicked turn, the track fades away to the right, very technical turn indeed; my line sucks through here for most of my 1 hour stint. finally out of the bus stop, headed up yet another blind hill, crest that down into turn 1 ( again, another BLIND) deceiving right hand full throttle turn, and for the last time, up another blind hill. SHEWWW, that was my first lap around Hallet.

as the race went on, i got better, dropping my times from a 1:56-58's into the mid to high 40's, most laps were 46-47's. At some point in the race i was coming into the bus stop when i hear an F4 bike (EX-250) coming up my rear so i scoot out to the far outside of the track (courteous passee practice) i go a little too wide, run up on the curbing which is actually a rumble strip what a ride that was, my camera had vibrated loose under the vibration of that move, (not to my knowledge though) i come around on the next lap, headed up hill into to turn 1 when it happens, the camera had finally held on long as it could and flew off, hitting me in the left shoulder, not knowing what had just happened i take a look over my shoulder to see the camera, the mount, and the waterproof housing bouncing, rolling, and coming to a stop in the center of the track in pieces. All i wanted back was the SD card because i had recorded almost 40 minutes of racing up to that point. Well, thanks to Linz and Ryan, Ryan went out during the race to pick up the pcs and bring back all that he could; he was able to find everything BUT the dang SD card, the part i cared about finding the most o well, next time i'll have it duct taped so that it doesn't fall off again.

Thanks to everyone who helped us out this weekend, we finished in 2nd place in our class.

My team mate, Hotnanas and our lovely spoiled pit girl
Lone Star Track days
KTMracer for the bike, service and friendly moral support
Go Pro Camera
Spartan leathers
and all the other support that we receive to make these races possible. I'll have some pics in a few days.

what an awesome track, an awesome race and a GREAT time hanging out with other racers, meeting new people, helping out others as well as getting help.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote