Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Good Bike Inspection places

I need to get the bike inspected sometime this month and was looking for a good place. Last year when I had the Interceptor I took it to a place and they said they had to ride it, it was part of the inspection.... I thought it was BS but let them ride it anyway... But now that I have the ST3 I really dont want anyone that I do not know riding it....

So where does everyone go? and do they have to ride it?

TIA
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Places in Sugarland jk13 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-20-2013 08:16 PM
Good places to ride?? 250king Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 11-12-2012 10:51 PM
good go kart places! Q8ypilot Off Topic 1 05-02-2010 02:28 PM
Inspection places open Monday? Intermission General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 02-16-2009 01:21 PM
Good places to ride coojo General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-15-2008 01:57 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

ive never heard of having to ride it to pass inspection... you can go to any car inspection place and have your bike inspected.

or come and see us at stubbs on telephone and 610 tuesday and we will take care of it.
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
mdtaylorjr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2007 r6

i used to be a state inspector the procedure for a bike is to have the customer ride it to do the brake test then the customer pulls it into the inspection bay and operates the lights and horn the only thing the inspector does is work the computer and apply the sticker if they tell you they just want to joy ride even dps says customer should operate their own bike
mdtaylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

any car place will do it. chances are they may not have anyone that knows how to ride one. The last place I went to, the guy said he had to ride it to inspect the brakes, I told him he must stay in the parking lot in my view.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

i went to sticker stop (or something similar to that) over by cycle gear on 59 and bellaire

the guy did a simple walk around the bike made sure the lights etc were working and that was it...im sure more needed to be done but i wasnt going to ask at the time
SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW@T View Post
i went to sticker stop (or something similar to that) over by cycle gear on 59 and bellaire

the guy did a simple walk around the bike made sure the lights etc were working and that was it...im sure more needed to be done but i wasnt going to ask at the time
thats about it. they check that you have insurance, working brake lights, working turn signals (if on the bike), and tire condition. maybe that you have a mirror as well.
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

They are not suppose to ride it, as said the owner does the brake test, some of my bikes, like the 1098 and bimota I wouldnt let them touch the thing much less throw a leg over it, it aint no scooter, If they told me they had to ride it I would go to the next place, fuc that, or make them show me or call the trooper, thats bs fo sho
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
bentgixxer

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
I has no bike :(
'14 Polaris 550 touring

Send a message via Yahoo to bentgixxer
technically the rider is supposed to do the brake test in front of the inspector then they check all the lights blah blah.

take it to a lil gas station inspection joint, and chances are, they wont even look at the tires.
We'll call it Corpsefish and Horsenuts.
bentgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
ive never heard of having to ride it to pass inspection... you can go to any car inspection place and have your bike inspected.

or come and see us at stubbs on telephone and 610 tuesday and we will take care of it.
Thanks! I would definitly go on Tues if I didn't work near 1960 and 45..... That would be a long drive for the inspection.... Would take up the entire lunch hour.....

Maybe I should just call in sick LOL
Old 05-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
they just slapped one on last time I did it.

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

no one has to ride your bike to do a state motorcycle inspection. any place that tells you they do is full of .
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
bueller
future lotto winner

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 buell xb12s (gone)
spankin new buell 1125r

i do state inspections in rosenberg if you want to come by, by law we are supposed to do the check ourselves, but the instructors say its ok if the owner rides it and does the check in front of you. Some places have a place to brake check down the street. we do ours in the parking lot cause we have a enough room. Sometime i will do the brake check myself or sometimes i wil just get the customer to do it
Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
i do state inspections in rosenberg if you want to come by, by law we are supposed to do the check ourselves, but the instructors say its ok if the owner rides it and does the check in front of you. Some places have a place to brake check down the street. we do ours in the parking lot cause we have a enough room. Sometime i will do the brake check myself or sometimes i wil just get the customer to do it
i have gotten multiple inspections from 2 places on the southside in particular and they have NEVER ridden my bike or even had me ride my bike. they visually inspect low beam, high beam, running light, brake light (activation from front and rear brake controls), horn, and get the mileage and proof of financial responsibility and done.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
bueller
future lotto winner

Bike(s):
04 buell xb12s (gone)
spankin new buell 1125r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
i have gotten multiple inspections from 2 places on the southside in particular and they have NEVER ridden my bike or even had me ride my bike. they visually inspect low beam, high beam, running light, brake light (activation from front and rear brake controls), horn, and get the mileage and proof of financial responsibility and done.
then they were doing it wrong and can get there licence taken away. I know alot places prolly don't do it cause what motorcycle cant stop from 20 mph within 25 feet. So thats why some places dont do it, but they are supposed to. They will get caught when they get an undercover dps come in for inspection.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
then they were doing it wrong and can get there licence taken away. I know alot places prolly don't do it cause what motorcycle cant stop from 20 mph within 25 feet. So thats why some places dont do it, but they are supposed to. They will get caught when they get an undercover dps come in for inspection.
meh...

It'll be a cold day in before I let some stranger at the inspection location take a ride on my bike.

If anyone wants to know the locations on the SE that don't take your bike for a ride shoot me a PM, unless your an undercover DPS trying to shut them down, then you can eat my .
Old 05-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
bueller
future lotto winner

Bike(s):
04 buell xb12s (gone)
spankin new buell 1125r

They only reason they ride it is to do the brake check, you can ask where they go, we do ours right in our parking lot and thats it and then drive it in to the bay. Like i said most places just let the owner ride the bike and tell you to stop at the line and thats it. Most of the time i have the customer do it unless there is a bunch of cars parked all crazy in the parking lot then i will do it, but no place should take it out to see how it rides
Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
They only reason they ride it is to do the brake check, you can ask where they go, we do ours right in our parking lot and thats it and then drive it in to the bay. Like i said most places just let the owner ride the bike and tell you to stop at the line and thats it. Most of the time i have the customer do it unless there is a bunch of cars parked all crazy in the parking lot then i will do it, but no place should take it out to see how it rides
Like I said, no "inspector" is hopping on my bike and riding it at all.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
I call BS on "by law we are supposed to do it ourselfs".m I,ve been wrong before, but I,m purdy sure I,m right here
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #19
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
I call BS on "by law we are supposed to do it ourselfs".m I,ve been wrong before, but I,m purdy sure I,m right here
You're right. There is NOTHING in the book that says the inspector has to do it. Most inspectors don't even have an M endorsment. In all the years I did inspections I gave the customer the choice. Surprisingly a lot of riders just had me do it. An inspector observing the owner of the MC doing the brake test is perfectly legal.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #20
bueller
future lotto winner

Bike(s):
04 buell xb12s (gone)
spankin new buell 1125r

like i said by law we are suppose to do every test ourselves, if we didnt have to they would just let the customer do the inspection. Now the state knows not everybody has a license, or can even ride a motorcycle, or some owners dont want anyone riding there bike. So thats why the dps instructors say the owner can do the brake test and we just watch and tell them what to do.

Advertisement