MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

MOTOGP: Nicky Hayden gets new crew chief

Quote:
Juan Martinez, crew chief for double MotoGP title runner-up Sete Gibernau while at Gresini Honda, will return to the Ducati Marlboro Team - where he moved with Gibernau in 2006 - as crew chief for the factory's new signing Nicky Hayden.

The change is the most visible part of a restructuring at the factory Ducati team, aimed at helping Hayden close the gap to team-mate and fellow former MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner.

The reshuffle means that the team's track engineer Cristhian Pupulin - who has doubled up as crew chief to Loris Capirossi, Marco Melandri and Hayden since 2006 - will now spend more time purely analysing the data collected by all of the Ducati riders.

Hayden had hinted at communication problems with his new team, while accidents and set-up problems also contributed to the American claiming a best qualifying and race result of just twelfth from the first three rounds.

Stoner meanwhile has finished first, fourth and third for second in the standings behind only Valentino Rossi. The next best Ducati rider is presently Pramac rookie Mika Kallio, although the Finn is just eleventh in the points.

Gibernau is presently 15th in the championship for the Francisco Hernando team, with Hayden 17th and Kallio's team-mate Niccolo Canepa 18th and last.

Ducati will also change its approach to the set-up of electronics, with the aim of 'improving the consistency of the bike and facilitating the process of the riders' adaptation to it' after Hayden and the three satellite Ducati riders all failed to match their pre-season test form at Jerez.

“We have a bit of new electronic management and team structure that I think should help me and all the Ducati riders,” said Hayden. “I believe that with Cristhian more freed up from some of the normal work as crew chief he can use his expertise more and focus on really working on the issues I am having with the bike and help give us a better direction and give more info to the factory.

“So to fill his spot we will bring in Juan [Martnez], who has put up some solid results in MotoGP. He has already worked in Ducati and speaks good English and Italian so he was a good match.

"I can't say I don't have enough good manpower behind me and it has been encouraging to see Ducati trying everything and working so hard to help get me in a situation to deliver.

“The team is very important in our sport but it is really up to the rider to do his part and make the difference, so I hope I can step up and do my part soon!” admitted the 2006 world champion.

“After the race at Jerez, which was fantastic for Casey but very difficult for Nicky, we had a few meetings to analyse our technical and organisational structure, with the goal of improving the all-round performances of our riders,” added Ducati MotoGP Project director Livio Suppo.

“We came to the conclusion that after starting the season with not all of the Ducati riders able to match their positive form in winter testing, maybe this is the right time to introduce some new technical ideas in terms of the electronics as well as boosting our track presence in order to provide all of the Ducati riders with better support.

“The GP9 is still a very young machine and for the first time in MotoGP we have five bikes on the grid. For these two reasons we have decided that we need to concentrate more on co-ordinating all the data that we gather at each race in order to provide more direction for development.

“As well as changing the structure of the team we have some electronic updates and Cristhian Pupulin will be able to completely dedicate his time to the important role of co-ordination, which we need to continue to develop the GP9. It is a welcome return for Juan [Martinez], who worked with us in 2006 and we are sure he can quickly settle back in to life at Ducati Marlboro Team,” said Suppo.

Martinez was crew chief for Anthony West at Kawasaki last season.

Triple World Superbike champion and MotoGP race winner Troy Bayliss is due to test the GP9 this week at Mugello.

Capirossi is the only Ducati rider other than Stoner to win a race since 2007, courtesy of a wet/dry victory in that season's Japanese Grand Prix.
I really hope that this works for Nicky
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
It does NOT matter what you give him or who you give him...

It's over for him...

He needs to come back and try his luck with AMA...

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post

It's over for him...

Jeez, that's brutal maybe true
WSBK
replace Checa
Old 05-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
As brutal as it sounds, I feel it's true. I don't think he'd be in the top 5 in WSBK either.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue91 View Post
As brutal as it sounds, I feel it's true. I don't think he'd be in the top 5 in WSBK either.
WSBK has so much quality in depth right now it's kinda hard to say
I just remember the way he could ride the 990 and imo he would go well on the right bike!!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Quote:

It's over for him...

I agree, sucks that another American is down but it's the truth.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Jeez, that's brutal maybe true
WSBK
replace Checa
I've been saying/having that opinion since 2007 when he won his "first and only" championship in poor style.

He won pretty much like how a few years go KRJ won... by all the others crashing out or having mechanical issues.

What happened to KRJ? He's tried several times after that aswell - only managing to get a couple podiums in all those years (after championship).

Now he's whining about equipment... gallee...

same thing with Hayden, first it was Honda... and their equipment, now that he has a powerful bike with Ducati he's compalining about setups and people.

Ducati is not stupid... they knew this was going to happen - they really just picked up Hayden for advertisement purposes and to boost up there sales here in the states.

Call me what you want.. I hold my opinion...

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
WSBK has so much quality in depth right now it's kinda hard to say
I just remember the way he could ride the 990 and imo he would go well on the right bike!!
No. He does not belong there either.

Its AMA or retire...

Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I really hope that this works for Nicky
me. I was really dissapointed to see him WAY back. You may not like him (as blackwidow obviously doesn't) but he's shown the ability to ride in the top 5.....there's no logical reason for him to backpedal so fast.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
I've been saying/having that opinion since 2007 when he won his "first and only" championship in poor style.

He won pretty much like how a few years go KRJ won... by all the others crashing out or having mechanical issues.

What happened to KRJ? He's tried several times after that aswell - only managing to get a couple podiums in all those years (after championship).

Now he's whining about equipment... gallee...

same thing with Hayden, first it was Honda... and their equipment, now that he has a powerful bike with Ducati he's compalining about setups and people.

Ducati is not stupid... they knew this was going to happen - they really just picked up Hayden for advertisement purposes and to boost up there sales here in the states.

Call me what you want.. I hold my opinion...
and you are of course perfectly entitled to it, mine just happens to be different

I still don't get why some devalue Haydens world tittle because of the style in which it was won particualy considering the opposition.
he was fast (not the fastest), most consistant and had some good fortune along the way (some bad too with Pedrosa taking him out) but at the end ignoring all the ifs and buts he came out top!!!

As far as the ducati ride, yes I agree the US market played a part in his signing but you only have to look at melandri's performance on the kawa to know that something is fundementally wrong with the Duc that everybody bar Stoner cannot work around!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
me. I was really dissapointed to see him WAY back. You may not like him (as blackwidow obviously doesn't) but he's shown the ability to ride in the top 5.....there's no logical reason for him to backpedal so fast.
Don't get me wrong. I give him props for what he has achieved how far he's gotten. You have to however keep in mind thought that this IS an European sport and "their" riders come from NSR50 > RS125 > RS250 > MotoGP. They are evolving with the technology as it grow.

Haydens (all of them) don't have that background, they are more of your dirt bike > motocross > 600cc > MotoGP background. Also with their riding styles the technology does NOT seem to work. Rather then learning to ride with it (John Hopkins/Casey Stoner) or around it (Valentino Rossi), he's always requested it NOT be put on or has always been "bityatching" about it.

Its a different Era of riding, and unforunately there is no place for him or his style in the direction the sport is currently moving.

Sorry if that you off - that's just one person's perspective...

Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
other than when he won his world tittle he had inherited the best race bike of the modern era as developed by mr rossi.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Melandri had a good finish once last year on the Duc too... Now, if Melandri keeps getting top 5-6 finishes this year on the Kawi, then I'll put more stock in the "no one but Stoner can ride the Duc" opinions. Until then, I put more "fault" on Hayden than I do the bike and his crew (aside from being taken out a few weeks back).

Last edited by Blue91; 05-12-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue91 View Post
Melandri had a good finish once last year on the Duc too... Now, if Melandri keeps getting top 5-6 finishes this year on the Kawi, then I'll put more stock in the "no one but Stoner can ride the Duc" opinions. Until then, I put more "fault" on Hayden than I do the bike and his crew (aside from being taken out a few weeks back).
Melandri has a 5th and a 6th so far this season,
Kawasaki have said there will be no upgrades or development which every other team will have the benefit of!!
His results are going to suffer sadly but i think he's proved his point, remember he did little to no winter testing!!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I give him props for what he has achieved how far he's gotten. You have to however keep in mind thought that this IS an European sport and "their" riders come from NSR50 > RS125 > RS250 > MotoGP. They are evolving with the technology as it grow.
Can you please explain this more? Offhand, I can't see how 2 stroke "technology" helps ride the current bikes.

Quote:
Haydens (all of them) don't have that background, they are more of your dirt bike > motocross > 600cc > MotoGP background. Also with their riding styles the technology does NOT seem to work. Rather then learning to ride with it (John Hopkins/Casey Stoner) or around it (Valentino Rossi), he's always requested it NOT be put on or has always been "bityatching" about it.
Wasn't Nicky the AMA SBK champ in '02?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #16
bigzona
Lean Machine

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote:

Its a different Era of riding, and unforunately there is no place for him or his style in the direction the sport is currently moving.
Can you expand further on this if you don't mind?

I personally hope that he can make the necessary adaptations to find at best average success. I just hate to see him go out like this.

Regarding his championship, it's really hard to argue that winning the Premier league of racing can happen by accident (IMHO). There has to be some degree of consistency and competitiveness to get there, both of which he exhibited that year.

**I'm no pro BTW, these are just observations from a noobie
Old 05-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #17
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Can you please explain this more? Offhand, I can't see how 2 stroke "technology" helps ride the current bikes.
It's not the 2 smoke technology that I'm referring to.

Its the GP chassis that the NSR50 (Age 4-7), RS125 (Age 8-12), RS250 (Age 12-16) have in common. If the riders are good, they usually get discovered before they turn 15 and are usually picked up by one of the Acdemies/Recruiters or Factory 125cc teams.

That's the European trend, unforunately here in the States - "the MAJORITY" go from dirt bikes/supermotos to 600cc to....

This trend however has changed quite alot in the past few years. Go to a CMRA race and watch how alot of kids are now utilizing the NSR50s/Metrakits now.

I would say 2004 and after it was easier for parents to buy their kids the NSRs/Metrakits to start on. Before that it was your PW50/CRF50 route to CRF100/KLX110 route to blah blah...

Quote:
Wasn't Nicky the AMA SBK champ in '02?
Yes he was. But the given competition and technology in WSBK and MotoGP - I think Hayden can only shine in AMA. That's about it.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzona View Post
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #19
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Its too much info.

Read this, it'll explain it all ...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...gp-technology/

Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #20
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:

I personally hope that he can make the necessary adaptations to find at best average success. I just hate to see him go out like this.

Regarding his championship, it's really hard to argue that winning the Premier league of racing can happen by accident (IMHO). There has to be some degree of consistency and competitiveness to get there, both of which he exhibited that year.

you're spot on bro

Advertisement