MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Optimus Prime

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Chain adjusting......

I have a 1993 gsxr 750. I was told that the chain needs adjusting. Very mechanically inclined just never worked on bikes. I have the idea just not sure if thats how to adjust it. To me it looks at its max cause the back screw is all the way in. Can anyone tell me how to adjust it properly. Funds are extremely tight or i would take it in.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve adjusting ekfraz General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-25-2009 05:17 PM
adjusting valves MudBug How To's and Q & A's 11 03-13-2009 05:25 PM
tip on chain, adjusting the slack. Chris24 Safety Corner Main 1 10-06-2006 11:09 PM
adjusting chain rob78 How To's and Q & A's 2 05-16-2006 05:41 PM
adjusting valves????????? DuBwEaR General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 10-31-2005 07:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Read your owner's manual.

D, what you doing up. It's to early!
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Internet > *

There is a manual for any bike on the internet, might get it free, might have to pay a few bucks. But nearly all of them are out there.

It's time for my to go to bed. I just got home.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
puertorico600r

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
R6

It is very simple and would be easier if you had a rear stand. Just look on the net into some other forums they might have a diy for you.
puertorico600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertorico600r View Post
It is very simple and would be easier if you had a rear stand. Just look on the net into some other forums they might have a diy for you.
that was so ver helpful thx!
ok im gonna try to walk you through it wicked hang over and on my cell...

if you need to adjust it you probably also need to clean it. both should be done every 500 miles or so btw.

sounds like you dont have a rear stand which ,akes it much easier fyi so this will take you a lot longer. go ride the bike for a few minutes to warm up the chain a little. spray the entire chain(your going to have to move your bike forawrd or back to do this fyi) with wd40 until no more doodoo comes out of it. use a brush to help loosen and remove the doodoo in the chain. clean your rear sprocket of said doodoo while your at it. after no mas doodoo is gone apply some chain wax. (if you stay on top off this every 500 miles or so you the cleaning time will be drastically shortned.)

now the adjustment part: your going to need a few tools for this and some steps may alter bc of the type of adjustment mechanisms for your particular bike. check your chain slack by moving the bottom part of the chain up(under the swing arm) if the there is more than 1" or 1.5" of slack your going to need to adjust it. loosen up the big nut(do not remove just loosen it up) the your going to have adjustment nuts(kinky eh?) on both side of the swing arm( need a wrnch for this)as well as looking nuts so the adjustmet doesnt move after you completed the next steps. you want to move both equal amount and little increments so that the wheel is pushed away from the front of the bike. do this until you get the desired slack in the chain. kick the back tire to make sure it is pressed againts the levels. also check and see if both side are equal. tighten the lock nuts up as well as the axle nut and bammmm you have a properly adjusted chain.

if you want pm your number and ill be happy to walk you through it.
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement