MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #61
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
i dont know much but I think the laws of physics say that an object pushes on earth (the track or whatever) and that the earth pushes back. So if I have my lean angle set and smoothly and consistently roll on the throttle which transfers weight to the rear tire increasing my contact with the track pushing harder against the earth would it not push back with more force? So with out changing my lean angle would I not make it thru the corner? That would certainly tighten my turn radius. again i am still working on my degree so i am clueless but it seems to make sense in my pea-sized brain.

oh dont look at my sig u prolly wont agree with that either
That's backwards, applying more throttle does not tighten a bikes turning radius.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centripetal_force

The centripetal force is the external force required to make a body follow a curved path.[1][2] Isaac Newton's description is found in the Principia.[3]

Any force (gravitational, electromagnetic, etc.) or combination of forces can act to provide a centripetal force. An example for the case of uniform circular motion is shown in Figure 1.

Centripetal force is directed inward, toward the center of curvature of the path.

240px Centripetal force diagramsvg

What acts against this force is the traction available at the front and rear tire contact patch.

The formula for computing centripetal force is:

The magnitude of the centripetal force is given by:

F=(mv^2)/r

where m is the mass, v is the magnitude of the velocity, and r is the radius of curvature of the path.

So, the force increases with the SQUARE of the velocity. Therefore, if you increase your velocity through a turn, more force (traction) is required to keep the bike on it's same path.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touch up technique? King Of Dirk General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 12-03-2011 10:37 AM
Japanese Pitching Technique FKNA Off Topic 16 07-17-2009 01:28 PM
Stress management technique.... Grinchy Off Topic 9 01-28-2009 03:48 PM
Immortal Technique Dreamer!! Off Topic 9 09-09-2008 09:26 AM
Braking Technique Cherub General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-12-2007 03:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #62
launchpad199

Feedback Rating: (0)

A great racer once told me when I was starting out the trick to going fast, when I asked the same question. The answer was "you enter the turn so fast that the front tire tucks and run a little wide and as soon as you save it you get on the gas so hard you almost high side" that might sound a bit extreme but still holds true. There is not a turn on any track that I didn't think I would run wide on when I was at pace. My advice is simply relax your hands and let the bike steer itself. But what do I know you should ask Tom he has way more racing experience than me.
launchpad199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #63
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchpad199 View Post
A great racer once told me when I was starting out the trick to going fast, when I asked the same question. The answer was "you enter the turn so fast that the front tire tucks and run a little wide and as soon as you save it you get on the gas so hard you almost high side" that might sound a bit extreme but still holds true. There is not a turn on any track that I didn't think I would run wide on when I was at pace. My advice is simply relax your hands and let the bike steer itself. But what do I know you should ask Tom he has way more racing experience than me.
And that's why you are an AMA racer, Larry.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #64
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Either way, It sounds to me that there are no hard and fast rules about what to do. Different people do different things. Me personally, I know that when I start running wide, in the carousel at MSRH, for example, I DO NOT fkn twist the throttle. If I thought about other corners maybe I do different things.

When a new guy is asking me what do do in this situation, I dont tell him to get on the gas. And I dont tell him to shut up and ride either.

Anyway, great thread. Tks for the replies.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #65
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchpad199 View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH LARRY!!!!

You just got sucked into a BS discussion.

Notice you only mentioned ONE type of running wide. Oops, don't wanna start this thread up again.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #66
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH LARRY!!!!

You just got sucked into a BS discussion.

Notice you only mentioned ONE type of running wide. Oops, don't wanna start this thread up again.

Enlighten me as to what is BS about the discussion? Is it a discussion not worthy?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #67
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
there are to many variables involved to give u a step by step. just ride. u will figure it out or u will bust ur
10-4

So bottom line, no hard and fast rules as to what to do.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #68
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
I use the "pucker" technique. Hasn't worked yet. But I'm not a quitter.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #69
level5
moving chicane

Well here is one more laws of physic for you physic guru:

If things can go wrong will go wrong.

I agreed with some of the guys on here pertaining variable and what needs to be done to stay on the track. I am a snail compared to most on here, but I would trail brake, lean harder and get on the gas as soon as I feel that it's safe but if I see that doesn't help then off road excursion is just another discussion.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #70
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Everybodys got a race car..
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #71
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
there are to many variables involved to give u a step by step. just ride. u will figure it out or u will bust ur
Jody, you have more riding/racing experience than 95% of the people on the board. What is so difficult about answer this question? There are three basic components that control the line through a turn. Turn in, lean angle, and throttle.

The quicker the turn in the tighter line the rider can carve, and the less lean angle that's required and the faster the rider can stand the bike back up.

More lean angle means carving a sharper turn, so if you need to decrease the radius of your turn, you need to lean more.

The higher the bike's velocity in a turn, the more force that is going to exhibited to force the bike towards the outside of the turn. So if the rider is pushing wide, they can slightly reduce throttle input to decrease the radius of the turn. For faster riders who are already twisting the throttle open, if they are pushing wide, they simply slow down the rate that they are applying the throttle.

And, finally, whatever you do, do it smoothly.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #72
maxgs

Member Garage

If we wanted to get more specific, we discuss what to do going wide at (1) corner entry, (2) mid turn, and (3) track out. There are definitely different approaches to each situation, but it's not particularly difficult to describe.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #73
Costas

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
some good info in here, i've always chopped the throttle when going wide. first i usually clench my cheeks though, that alone does wonders.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #74
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

this thread should have a health warning
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #75
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Jody, you have more riding/racing experience than 95% of the people on the board. What is so difficult about answer this question? There are three basic components that control the line through a turn. Turn in, lean angle, and throttle.

The quicker the turn in the tighter line the rider can carve, and the less lean angle that's required and the faster the rider can stand the bike back up.

More lean angle means carving a sharper turn, so if you need to decrease the radius of your turn, you need to lean more.

The higher the bike's velocity in a turn, the more force that is going to exhibited to force the bike towards the outside of the turn. So if the rider is pushing wide, they can slightly reduce throttle input to decrease the radius of the turn. For faster riders who are already twisting the throttle open, if they are pushing wide, they simply slow down the rate that they are applying the throttle.

And, finally, whatever you do, do it smoothly.

Sorry but your calculator and GPS ain't gonna figure this out.

Too many variables.

The answer is: IT DEPENDS.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #76
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Sorry but your calculator and GPS ain't gonna figure this out.

Too many variables.

The answer is: IT DEPENDS.
I already have it figured out, Spanky.

So if a novice track rider asks that question, that's your complete answer: "It Depends"? What a cop out.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #77
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
there is this really good section in twist of the wrist. cant remember if its volume 1 or 2. someone help me here...

basicly it says always focus on what to do, instead of what NOT to do. like target fixation, you will do what your thinking about, even if your thinking about not doing it. phrase everything as a positive. example

bad: i will not brake too late.
good: i will brake early enough.

start using that mentality in all your riding, and you wont run into "oops" problems so much. instead of working on "how to not f*** up", work on "how to do it right"

just my $0.02 idk if itll help you, but i hope so...happy trails.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #78
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I already have it figured out, Spanky.

So if a novice track rider asks that question, that's your complete answer: "It Depends"? What a cop out.
No, Stinkfist.

It would have to be in person at the track to help him/her out.

Cuz thats what I do. Help. Like what some of us were trying to do for you.

But you got it figured out.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #79
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

I am sure it differs on a lot of variables.

Curt & Brandt, we are much heavier than a lot of the other riders, so when we roll off of the throttle or brake while leaned over the bike doesn't want to stand up straight as bad as with some of the lighter guys.
It makes sense to me that rolling off or applying a small amount of front brake would tighten it because you transfer some weight onto the front and compress the forks/reduce the trail, which has already been mentioned. :s
Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #80
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

CENTRIFUGAL

–adjective 1. moving or directed outward from the center (opposed to centripetal ).

Advertisement