MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #21
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
If you let off the throttle doesnt the suspension compress and shorten the wheel base momentarily and allow a tighter turn in?

True you are putting weight on the front tire and creating understeer so you'd have to lean harder vs an oversteer situation where the front is lighter.
Try it. Go into a corner at, say, 35 or 40 mph. Pull in the clutch mid corner during mid lean. See what happens. The bike isn't going to want to turn tighter. Same thing happens when you chop the throttle. It happens when you roll off, too, with results only slightly less dramatic. It has everything to do with drive.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touch up technique? King Of Dirk General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 12-03-2011 10:37 AM
Japanese Pitching Technique FKNA Off Topic 16 07-17-2009 01:28 PM
Stress management technique.... Grinchy Off Topic 9 01-28-2009 03:48 PM
Immortal Technique Dreamer!! Off Topic 9 09-09-2008 09:26 AM
Braking Technique Cherub General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-12-2007 03:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

When running into a turn at the track too hot I usually ask myself, "what would Obama do"?

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Where's Gonzo, Dustin or Larry when you need them....
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #24
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
Try it. Go into a corner at, say, 35 or 40 mph. Pull in the clutch mid corner during mid lean. See what happens. The bike isn't going to want to turn tighter. Same thing happens when you chop the throttle. It happens when you roll off, too, with results only slightly less dramatic. It has everything to do with drive.
There is a big difference between complete loss of drive and reduction of throttle. I think you feel like being argumentative this morning.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #25
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Apples and oranges. Grabbing the clutch at mid turn if you are already in to hot, is the equivalent of chopping the throttle. It will totally disrupt the suspension and give unpredictable results. How does one extrapolate that to "give it more gas to turn tighter"?

Please explain.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #26
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Like Racer997 says, chopping the throttle seems to want to push the bike wider. From my experience I've always got to be ready for the bike to slide out a little when I have to chop it for some reason. As stated, I've always found that applying the throttle a little works. It almost feels like the bike "digs" in more and I can lean it over and turn tighter.

Or you can grab the front brake and release it real quick which can cause the front to turn in tighter...hopefully you don't fully tuck it though
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #27
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthHoustonGSXR View Post
When running into a turn at the track too hot I usually ask myself, "what would Obama do"?

Prolly spend another trillion
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #28
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Really. So as an track day guy running in the advanced group, if I come into a corner and find myself going wide and I want to save it, your advice to me is give it more throttle? We aren't talking a nuance level of throttle here that an AMA rider or CMRA expert would use, I mean an average advanced level track rider.

Please explain.
Yes, Curt. Really. My advice to people who ask he this question is this and this alone - "Don't chop the throttle. Don't whack it open, either." And then come the little details that confuse people.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #29
maxgs

Member Garage

To be clear the discussions isn't whether it's better to apply a little more throttle or CHOP the throttle; chopping the throttle is obviously not a good idea because of the wild impact to a fully loaded suspension.

The discussion is what do you do if you are running wide in a turn. Lins has suggested that you give it more throttle. I'm keenly interested in an explanation of why that is better than slightly rolling off the throttle. The subject is an average advanced level track rider.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #30
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Yes, Curt. Really. My advice to people who ask he this question is this and this alone - "Don't chop the throttle. Don't whack it open, either." And then come the little details that confuse people.
So let's talk about those little details that confuse people. I'll try not to get confused.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #31
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Apples and oranges. Grabbing the clutch at mid turn if you are already in to hot, is the equivalent of chopping the throttle. It will totally disrupt the suspension and give unpredictable results. How does one extrapolate that to "give it more gas to turn tighter"?

Please explain.
Curt hasn't liked me since he interviewed me last October.

You can explain it better than I, Curt. Perhaps you can post a video that explains it all?

Once Keith Code was asked why he was never a world champion himself, even though he's instructed plenty of them. He said, "I have taught dozens of champions, but some are more naturally gifted at applying these techniques than others. Still others have the innate ability to do things that even I can't explain or teach."

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
There is a big difference between complete loss of drive and reduction of throttle. I think you feel like being argumentative this morning.
The principal is the same, Carl, but you are indeed correct in there is a big difference between complete loss and some reduction.

Last edited by Racer997; 05-08-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #32
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
So let's talk about those little details that confuse people. I'll try not to get confused.

I'm certain you'd be confused. You already are.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #33
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Curt hasn't liked me since he interviewed me last October.

You can explain it better than I, Curt. Perhaps you can post a video that explains it all?

Once Keith Code was asked why he was never a world champion himself, even thoigh he's instructed plenty of them. He said, "I have taught dozens of champions, but some are more naturally gifted at applying these techniques than others. Still others have the innate ability to do things that even I can't explain or teach."

The principal is the same, Carl, but you are indeed correct in there is a big difference between complete loss and some reduction.
Have you mixed me up with another 6'6" 300 lb guy with a shaved head? I never interviewed you. Ba ha ha ha.

Further, I always enjoy your posts.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #34
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
I'm certain you'd be confused. You already are.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #35
Texas94fs
SBN Bus Driver

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

IF you cut any power the suspension does not compress, it loosens and causes the bike to lose grip and can cause it to get squirrely. The power you are using in the turn is what is putting the suspension under pressure and creating more grip. IF you can brake slightly while under power it will scrub off some speed, but you have to do it gently and progressively. I just force myself to commit and hope it comes out all right. Usually once you see the exit of the turn getting on the throttle is the best thing to do. (all this works for me and has saved my , but dont go taking it as the gospel I've never done track)

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #36
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:

Once Keith Code was asked why he was never a world champion himself, even though he's instructed plenty of them. He said, "I have taught dozens of champions, but some are more naturally gifted at applying these techniques than others. Still others have the innate ability to do things that even I can't explain or teach."
I want to meet the racer that is so naturally gifted that they can defy the laws of physics. I was really hoping that was you, and you could shed some light on how increasing the lateral force in a turn will reduce the bike's turning radius.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #37
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Here's what I do if I start pushing wide...

I first drop a little more weight off the bike (example- move off and drop upper body as low as I can to get the center of gravity as low as possible) and roll very slightly on the throttle and CONCENTRATE as hard as I can on where I want to go.

I've only ran off a handfull of times, and I think everyone of them was appsolutly to hot for my skill level
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #38
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
I want to meet the racer that is so naturally gifted that they can defy the laws of physics. I was really hoping that was you, and you could shed some light on how increasing the lateral force in a turn will reduce the bike's turning radius.

I ain't that guy, Curt. But you have met me, twice, in fact, and interviewed me once. I even introduced myself to you. I'm just a guy, I'm not memorable, but if you can't remember meeting someone on two separate occassions, I don't expect you to understand other things.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #39
maxgs

Member Garage

And in chimes the guy whose comments precipitated this whole discussion.

So based on that expert opinion, I guess we should start teaching people to get on the gas when they are running wide.

What a bunch of utter nonsense.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #40
ThomAss
I like to ride

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

I apply the brakes a little longer or get off the throttle a little, counter steer more which increases the lean and look where I want to go.

If I'm really hot I stick my leg out which is just a reaction from my motocross days. Grrrr

Advertisement