MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

it's cool mang, once you buy a bike you'll want to add your own touches i assume, and most of which can be done with just a socket and wrench set, screw driver set, and allen keys. and dont forget hammer and duct tape!!!! j/k on the tape
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corbin or Stock Seat edgarf23 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-08-2013 09:28 AM
Removing Snorkel z0sum General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-02-2012 02:39 PM
who can modify my stock seat? slim8 Performance and Modifications 4 12-12-2010 07:43 PM
Removing the Sticker Sl!mP!ckens! How To's and Q & A's 8 02-01-2009 05:49 PM
removing baffle FastLife1K General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-29-2009 10:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #22
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBaron View Post
Folks, I don't own a bike, most of my personal experience at this point has been at dealer showroom floors.
Fair enough - in that case, I somewhat retract my harshness.

Bear in mind though, in all sincerity, a bike is not just a two wheeled car. They do require a bit more operator involvement, shall we say.

Seats are easy. On a cruiser, its typically one or two bolts. On mine for example, its a simple matter of putting the key into a keyhole on the side cover and lifting the seat. Passenger seat comes off with one bolt and tilting it forward.

What kind of bikes have you been looking at? Any particular models you have in mind?

One other thing to keep in mind with a cruiser is, power doesnt vary as much as it does with the sport bikes, and engine size isnt the same guide to power that it is with the 4-cylinder machines. So don't let a 1300cc v-twin scare you. Its not like a 1300cc inline-4. Stay away from the 250s though unless you just want to ride it on the sidewalk
Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #23
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post

Bear in mind though, in all sincerity, a bike is not just a two wheeled car. They do require a bit more operator involvement, shall we say.

Seats are easy. On a cruiser, its typically one or two bolts. On mine for example, its a simple matter of putting the key into a keyhole on the side cover and lifting the seat. Passenger seat comes off with one bolt and tilting it forward.

What kind of bikes have you been looking at? Any particular models you have in mind?

One other thing to keep in mind with a cruiser is, power doesnt vary as much as it does with the sport bikes, and engine size isnt the same guide to power that it is with the 4-cylinder machines. So don't let a 1300cc v-twin scare you. Its not like a 1300cc inline-4. Stay away from the 250s though unless you just want to ride it on the sidewalk
sarcasm man
klassik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #24
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post

I've really been looking at a variety of bikes. The ones I've been leaning toward the most are mid-sized cruisers and standard-type bikes. Having sat on a Honda 750 cruiser (I forget the exact model), it felt about as big and heavy as I'd want to deal with from an overall weight perspective.

Sportier models I've honed in on are generally more up-right sitting twins, like the Suzuki SV650, the Kawasaki Ninja 650R, Buell XB9SX and the Yamaha FZ6(actually a 4-cylinder).

I realize I haven't jumped in to the cruisers lounge here much, but after a year of trawling MotoHouston, I think it would be just about impossible not to realize the difference between cars and motorcycles. An MSF course would be my first step toward learning the physics of riding and the level of attention required to ride around the often oblivious cagers. And local streets at non-peak times, not crowded highways, would be my learning grounds after MSF, an M license and the purchase of a cheap, I-don't-care-if-I-drop-this-cause-I-know-I-will bike.

I appreciate your concern for the safety of potential riders, and realize how bone-headedly some folks can get into it. But you can probably dial down the assumptions of what someone on here does and doesn't know, and you won't end up railing on a motohouston regular like they were a knuckle-headed newb.

In summary? It's all water under the bridge. And thanks to everyone for the advice on seats.
NightBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
I've really been looking at a variety of bikes. The ones I've been leaning toward the most are mid-sized cruisers and standard-type bikes. Having sat on a Honda 750 cruiser (I forget the exact model), it felt about as big and heavy as I'd want to deal with from an overall weight perspective.

Sportier models I've honed in on are generally more up-right sitting twins, like the Suzuki SV650, the Kawasaki Ninja 650R, Buell XB9SX and the Yamaha FZ6(actually a 4-cylinder).

I realize I haven't jumped in to the cruisers lounge here much, but after a year of trawling MotoHouston, I think it would be just about impossible not to realize the difference between cars and motorcycles. An MSF course would be my first step toward learning the physics of riding and the level of attention required to ride around the often oblivious cagers. And local streets at non-peak times, not crowded highways, would be my learning grounds after MSF, an M license and the purchase of a cheap, I-don't-care-if-I-drop-this-cause-I-know-I-will bike.

I appreciate your concern for the safety of potential riders, and realize how bone-headedly some folks can get into it. But you can probably dial down the assumptions of what someone on here does and doesn't know, and you won't end up railing on a motohouston regular like they were a knuckle-headed newb.

In summary? It's all water under the bridge. And thanks to everyone for the advice on seats.
I stand corrected, and humbled. My most sincere apologies.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #26
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

honorsdaddy, most appreciated. That said, you happen to know any sites with cool replacement seats I can drool over?
NightBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #27
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
honorsdaddy, most appreciated. That said, you happen to know any sites with cool replacement seats I can drool over?
Cool is a relative term, but i'm a HUGE fan of Corbin.

Advertisement