MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
ends big egos

Feedback Rating: (0)

Exclamation 120+mph tank slapper.. recovered.. omfg

HOLY this by far is the worst thing thats happened to me in the 5 years ive been riding. just 15 minutes ago im going down redbluff which is nothing but a 5 mile straight with no cars evers out. i live off this road.. i was asking for help in a steering damper few days ago and patrick is only one who threw some offers(thanks). Im running my friends kenne bell gt mustang down this road (in my kswiss's and wool gloves) :eh: going from a roll i pull away shifting into 4th and some how the tire comes up just a little and i stay on the gas, it touches back down and i get a light wobble. some guy with a shaved head at cycle gear i think he works there told me just 2 days ago with tank slappers its best to speed up to take the weight off the front of the bike, i found out very quickly this was bullshit when im at a full tank slapper close to 128 or so and trying to keep my pants from filling up, it only got worse and after seeing many videos on the net of people eating it after hitting a tank slapper i decided im holding on and going down with it, i didnt see myself in a hospital like walter but my dad with his boot up my which was worse then the hospital and more motivation to hang on and slow it down, i rear braked hard without locking and around 90 it recovered right before i hit the curb and went into the ditch.. thank . i remember hearing my buddy locking up all 4's to avoid running me over, this isnt the first tank slapper ive had but the worst.. it got to the point where it was wobbling so bad the front of the bike was actualy skipping side to side, probably worse then that isle of man tt tankslapper where the guy in black wrecks... i hugged the tank with my elbows and tried my best to kept resistance on the bars wobble while braking hard(rear break only).. i believe this is what saved me so if anyones heard otherwise just remember this one.. this is great moral booster for tomorrows track day.... right. steering damper..now PLEASE. :BangHead:
ends big egos is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank Slapper Theory FKNA General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 03-02-2009 12:06 PM
tank slapper Javi Stunters Lounge 27 01-17-2008 04:45 PM
Is this a Tank Slapper? RinasDaddy General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 11-23-2007 11:46 AM
tank slapper? gixxer6 Stunters Lounge 11 02-27-2006 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2006, 01:13 AM   #2
PhilAnder

White convertible GT?
PhilAnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Man, glad your okay,
Would'nt want you to get out of giving Macman back his gloves.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:17 AM   #4
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Getting the weight off the front IS the correct was to TRY to level out...sometimes it just wont work, good job on the save though... Ive only had one time that I got into a tank slapper and it was because I accelerated real hard on a road and hit a speedbump....Scared the out of me, but I kept composure yanked the throttle and barely pulled it out....
Old 02-24-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
ends big egos

never found the guy who swapped gloves with me at the track so i dont "Have" his gloves but money to replace them. k thanks ((>.<))<^>
Old 02-24-2006, 01:23 AM   #6
zixx6r

that guy in the TT died, consider yourself lucky you didnt lock your tire and fly into the ditch. Whoever that guy at cycle gear is...sucks.

oh well, have fun at the track...might help you get your mind off the whole thing. rubber side down.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:29 AM   #7
ends big egos

r u joking? im gonna baby the bike in the straights now... you think that green slime they sell at cycle gear to fix leaks in ur tire has anything to do with it. im thinking my tire might be really unbalanced cuz of it
Old 02-24-2006, 01:38 AM   #8
rickykline
super squid

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

omg man...i am really glad to hear your ok.. that sucks bad.. where do you live off of red bluff?? i live off of fairmont.. hows the bike?

I WISH MY GRASS WAS EMO SO IT WOULD CUT ITSELF....
rickykline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:45 AM   #9
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

You put tire slime in a front tire and are still riding it? Yeah, tank slappers coming off the bank at TWS (Texas World Speedway) doing 167 are great too.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #10
thatboygeorge
powpows ftw

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

Send a message via AIM to thatboygeorge
yea i live off space center real close to red bluff wut part of redbluff u from?..lol
thatboygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
gixr101

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 1000, 05gsxr 1000,07 gsxr750

you did the right thing by staying on the bike I think many people want to bail out and never realize that if they would just try and stay on they can save it. good job glad your still here to post
gixr101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:57 AM   #12
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio
Man, glad your okay,
Would'nt want you to get out of giving Macman back his gloves.
lolz!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer
Getting the weight off the front IS the correct was to TRY to level out...

sigh... racing on public streets... absolute genius... :BangHead:
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:00 AM   #13
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

You want the weight to bear on the wheel which is going strait(the rear) other wise you are putting all the control of your bike into a wheel that flopping back and forth faster than you can count.

BTW side note, back when I didnt have a bike and was pretty dumb to everything, I kept hearing about tank slappers this and that and didnt know what they were...I figured it was when you hit a pothole or a bump and you slapped your head on the tank.....ROFL
Old 02-24-2006, 02:45 AM   #14
zixx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer
Getting the weight off the front IS the correct was to TRY to level out..
I've heard the exact opposite...rolling off the throttle and trying to keep from putting a death grip on the bars, a natural gut reaction to a situation like a bad tank slap.

Taking weight off the front involves acceleration...keeping the front wheel off the ground...if it comes down at a slight angle (likely if you're freaked out and concentrating on controlling the slap rather than your landing)...you set off another harmonic and it starts slapping again, probably even more violently...and you're going faster that you were before. Doesnt sound like a great tactic, dunno. Would probably work for a rider who didnt freak out and was prepared for it, but for most street riders...probably not a good method.

Steering damper gives better odds...
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:53 AM   #15
Mad Max

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Mad Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by ends big egos
HOLY this by far is the worst thing thats happened to me in the 5 years ive been riding. just 15 minutes ago im going down redbluff which is nothing but a 5 mile straight with no cars evers out. i live off this road.. i was asking for help in a steering damper few days ago and patrick is only one who threw some offers(thanks). Im running my friends kenne bell gt mustang down this road (in my kswiss's and wool gloves) :eh: going from a roll i pull away shifting into 4th and some how the tire comes up just a little and i stay on the gas, it touches back down and i get a light wobble. some guy with a shaved head at cycle gear i think he works there told me just 2 days ago with tank slappers its best to speed up to take the weight off the front of the bike, i found out very quickly this was bullshit when im at a full tank slapper close to 128 or so and trying to keep my pants from filling up, it only got worse and after seeing many videos on the net of people eating it after hitting a tank slapper i decided im holding on and going down with it, i didnt see myself in a hospital like walter but my dad with his boot up my which was worse then the hospital and more motivation to hang on and slow it down, i rear braked hard without locking and around 90 it recovered right before i hit the curb and went into the ditch.. thank . i remember hearing my buddy locking up all 4's to avoid running me over, this isnt the first tank slapper ive had but the worst.. it got to the point where it was wobbling so bad the front of the bike was actualy skipping side to side, probably worse then that isle of man tt tankslapper where the guy in black wrecks... i hugged the tank with my elbows and tried my best to kept resistance on the bars wobble while braking hard(rear break only).. i believe this is what saved me so if anyones heard otherwise just remember this one.. this is great moral booster for tomorrows track day.... right. steering damper..now PLEASE. :BangHead:
good grief that was hard to read! have you ever heard of sentences or punctuation?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:33 AM   #16
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

no way in would i ride with that green slime in my tires

glad you made it out safely

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:49 AM   #17
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

please elaborate on this green slimeage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:52 AM   #18
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
my $0.02...

the guy you are talking about is jerry. he is a good guy and a badass rider, i work with him almost everyday of the week. tank slappers are a tricky and scary situation no matter how you handle it. goosing the throttle to get the weight off the front can be effective, but i would guess it depends on the bike and the rider...jerry's front wheel can point to the sky just thinking about it, (you dont wanna know what he has done to that thing) so im sure that method works well for him, and for anyone with alot of horse, and no fear in the wrist...(like jerry, lol).

i get tank slappers quite often...ok well, maybe not slappers but some light to medium wobble at least. personally...i slow the down. i dont know the cause of my wobbles though...its definatly not the front wheel coming up...im not that cool yet, lol. so when they happens it eases into the wobble from high speed, so i just slow down and ease out of it.

it may be my steering bearings, suspension, or know what...but it scares the bejesus out of me. i went from a 120/60 to a 120/70 tire in the front and that helped alot but it still happens. i would like to find the real cause of it rather than just relying on a dampener to fix it...but then again...i keep hearing from everyone with a dampener that they are the shiznit...i may get one myself, but im thinking of getting a different bike...so i dont know.

bottom line...im glad your ok. thats whats important. i hear dampeners are near mandatory if your doing wheelies. drop the cash and get one...call me at the store and i can quote you a price, i dont care where you get one..just get one. you might be more aggresive on the throttle than you realize...

and do me one more favor...if your going to ride aggresive...dont do it in sneakers and gloves!!! :BangHead:

oh...and one more thing...yes...green slime is not meant to make your tire perfect, its meant to make your tire last to get you home, and maybe around town at the most until you can afford to replace the tire. its sure as not meant to race mustangs with...and yes it will unbalance the tire. when you put it in, your supposed to move the tire so your puncture is at the bottom, so the slime settles down there. that makes the seal better but that will put more weight on that spot. the tire will be out of balance. replace it ASAP. get your tire whereever you want, but we have michelin pilot powers for 80 for a front tire, around 110 for a rear, and thats a badass price. should be that price at least till end of the month. again, i dont care where you get em...just get em...ride safe, bro, and stay alive and in one piece.

Last edited by Chris24; 02-24-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:24 AM   #19
BigC
AKA Big Daddy

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
88"HURRICANE 1000 ( crashed ) / 98"Z-71 1500 4x4 / 06" Nissan Sentra Spec - V 6 Speed / ZX-7 Ninja

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
my $0.02...

the guy you are talking about is jerry. he is a good guy and a badass rider, i work with him almost everyday of the week. tank slappers are a tricky and scary situation no matter how you handle it. goosing the throttle to get the weight off the front can be effective, but i would guess it depends on the bike and the rider...jerry's front wheel can point to the sky just thinking about it, (you dont wanna know what he has done to that thing) so im sure that method works well for him, and for anyone with alot of horse, and no fear in the wrist...(like jerry, lol).

i get tank slappers quite often...ok well, maybe not slappers but some light to medium wobble at least. personally...i slow the down. i dont know the cause of my wobbles though...its definatly not the front wheel coming up...im not that cool yet, lol. so when they happens it eases into the wobble from high speed, so i just slow down and ease out of it.

it may be my steering bearings, suspension, or know what...but it scares the bejesus out of me. i went from a 120/60 to a 120/70 tire in the front and that helped alot but it still happens. i would like to find the real cause of it rather than just relying on a dampener to fix it...but then again...i keep hearing from everyone with a dampener that they are the shiznit...i may get one myself, but im thinking of getting a different bike...so i dont know.

bottom line...im glad your ok. thats whats important. i hear dampeners are near mandatory if your doing wheelies. drop the cash and get one...call me at the store and i can quote you a price, i dont care where you get one..just get one. you might be more aggresive on the throttle than you realize...

and do me one more favor...if your going to ride aggresive...dont do it in sneakers and gloves!!! :BangHead:

oh...and one more thing...yes...green slime is not meant to make your tire perfect, its meant to make your tire last to get you home, and maybe around town at the most until you can afford to replace the tire. its sure as not meant to race mustangs with...and yes it will unbalance the tire. when you put it in, your supposed to move the tire so your puncture is at the bottom, so the slime settles down there. that makes the seal better but that will put more weight on that spot. the tire will be out of balance. replace it ASAP. get your tire whereever you want, but we have michelin pilot powers for 80 for a front tire, around 110 for a rear, and thats a badass price. should be that price at least till end of the month. again, i dont care where you get em...just get em...ride safe, bro, and stay alive and in one piece.
UUMMMMMMM - What he said...........lol :notworthy
BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:28 AM   #20
TDragon

Bike(s):
2003 636 (sold)/2002 R1

if you're suppose to gas up during a tank slap...what if you're on high rpm? are you suppose to up shift? or stay at the same gear and redline it?

I just redline and stayed on the throttle and made it out ok, scary .
TDragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement