MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Follow on - Clip-ons

My stock clip-ons are at a nasty angle for me for some reason (I think). I just can't get my wrist at the right angle leaning off the bike. I rotated the bars up to the max so they don't hit the fairings (or my fingers) at max turn. But that didn't give me but maybe an inch! If you look at this picture, my hand is on the bar end... what the else can I do? Is this a riding position thing?

I played with this all weekend and the only thing I could think of is maybe offset clip-ons? Or clip-ons with a different angle on them? Anyone else have this problem / issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elite Trackdays 20090425 113.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	22685  
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clip-ons for the duke? Ninjo Performance and Modifications 5 07-14-2010 09:25 PM
Motard Clip Ons? Navajib General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 12-22-2008 08:56 PM
Clip ons GABRIEL Taking it to the Track 4 09-23-2008 04:17 PM
Vortex clip ons gixxerman Taking it to the Track 6 08-19-2008 02:35 PM
vortex clip-ons Duck84 Performance and Modifications 16 02-14-2008 08:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
What exactly constitutes the "right" angle for your wrist? I mean, if you're doing it right there's no weight there so it would almost seem to not matter.

That being said, aftermarket clipons tend to be both longer than stock and angled a little further down.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

cool pic
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

maybe start by moving your body to the rear of the seat, being back farther will allow you more leverage and to further allow your arms to be straight rather than where they are now.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
What exactly constitutes the "right" angle for your wrist? I mean, if you're doing it right there's no weight there so it would almost seem to not matter.

That being said, aftermarket clipons tend to be both longer than stock and angled a little further down.
True.

The way you set the "proper" angle is to close your eyes and lean forward to grab "imaginary" clipons. Look at the angle of your hands and set the angle of your clipons to that.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Hummmm.... I am off to purchase some cheap Vortek clip-ons and see if the angle is different enough to matter. I have seen some other stuff out there like these http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=TS675 ... expensive though!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
Hummmm.... I am off to purchase some cheap Vortek clip-ons and see if the angle is different enough to matter. I have seen some other stuff out there like these http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=TS675 ... expensive though!
Get with Patrick, he may even have them in stock. Vortex/ Woodcraft, can't go wrong.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Step 1. Buy Vortex clip ons

Step 2. Adjust them to your own personal liking
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Make sure you purchase some gel grips when you do the upgrade.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Make sure you purchase some gel grips when you do the upgrade.
Any brand in particular?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
helibars are for people attempting to turn the sportbikes into sport touring bikes. Thats not going to help. Its going to make it worse because your wrists will be just as cramped, AND angled up!
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
I like Renthal race grips
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Any brand in particular?
I don't recall off the top of my head but Patrick got them for me.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
What exactly constitutes the "right" angle for your wrist?
To me it means the angle at which I can have the most comfort and best control over the motorcycle!

I agree that your wrists should not be carrying very much weight (in the turn) but to say they are weightless is not accurate. People develop wrist issues from typing on the computer and the only weight supported there is the weight of your arms. Point is that no matter what angle the wrist is at you still have to hold onto the motorcycle!

Try holding your wrist in the angle I have mine at in this picture... how does it feel? To me it doesn't feel good so it isn't about load on the wrist it is about finding a setup that works for me and the angle matters a lot.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
I don't recall off the top of my head but Patrick got them for me.
kul
Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
helibars are for people attempting to turn the sportbikes into sport touring bikes. Thats not going to help. Its going to make it worse because your wrists will be just as cramped, AND angled up!
I thought the same thing but there are some guys on the triumph675.net that are racing with them... they swear by them...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #17
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I like Renthal race grips
I will check em out. Thanks bro!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Also get some spare bars (tubes)....you know, just in case
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
Also get some spare bars (tubes)....you know, just in case
What are you trying to say? You think I am gonna crash or what?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #20
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
To me it means the angle at which I can have the most comfort and best control over the motorcycle!
In that position are you really "controlling" the motorcycle with your hands? You probably shouldn't be.

Quote:
I agree that your wrists should not be carrying very much weight (in the turn) but to say they are weightless is not accurate. People develop wrist issues from typing on the computer and the only weight supported there is the weight of your arms.
They develop issues from the repetitive movements of the wrists and fingers. Not a good example.

Quote:
Point is that no matter what angle the wrist is at you still have to hold onto the motorcycle!
You shouldn't be holding on to the bars. Larry Myers told me that he actually makes "Cs" out of his hands explicitly to make sure he's NOT holding on. You want the front end to be able to wiggle while you're leaned over as the side to side motion (as referenced from the centerline of the bike) is the only suspension you have. You start impeding that by hanging weight on the bars, and you'll run wide from lack of traction.

Quote:
Try holding your wrist in the angle I have mine at in this picture... how does it feel? To me it doesn't feel good so it isn't about load on the wrist it is about finding a setup that works for me and the angle matters a lot.
While I agree that finding what works for you is foremost, I think maybe you're doing some wrong things that are putting you there.

CMRA #302

Advertisement