MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
rubidriver

Feedback Rating: (0)

Advantage of boring the 50 vs replacment engine

I used to own a XR50 that I drove stock for a while, it was fun, but I wanted more. I threw a Lifan 125cc engine in it and had a lot of fun with it. It was enough power for me. And cost $260 delivered to my door with a carb and everything.

There was a lot of things I didnt like about it like the carb being too tall and having to space up the gas tank, making an adapter to turn the manifold out to allow the carb to fit cuz it was hitting the frame, as well as a few other things.

I did it because of price.

What are the advantage of boring it rather than swapping the chinese engine in it if you are on a budget? Can you be on a budget and build a bored motor the right way and be able to put down more power with out skimping on stuff that will eventually break because you didnt build up other parts like the tranny and what not?

Im thinking of buying a newer CRF50 and having a project. Hope Im being clear with my ?
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is boring.. Fastola Off Topic 10 10-17-2012 10:34 AM
BORING ...... ANTISOCIAL Off Topic 22 06-06-2009 02:42 AM
Advantage of 50's over 70's? 07CBR Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 23 05-07-2009 08:49 PM
Hey 50 engine pros....? ZXALAN Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 05-06-2008 09:33 PM
Whoever said History was boring!?! Patrick Off Topic 24 08-08-2007 05:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

because for the price and down time of boring you can have your 88 kit delivered to your door. plus the 88 cylinder looks way bigger than a 50 on the outside too.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
rnz450

i would just buy a complete motor not even mess with the 88 kits just my 2 cents
Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
that or do what I did check the planetminis.com board... and buy another engine with a kit already on it.. I sold my stock engine for 200 and bought a bored BBR engine for 300 shipped.. so for 100 bucks basically I got another engine that was already bored.. you could do that and just do an engine swap..
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
rubidriver

Im basically asking what bore kit could compete with the power of the old Lifan (6-8hp) and still compete with the price of the Lifan?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
cobrakiller02

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
To many to list

buy a whole new motor and be done with it..that way if you ever want to change it just pull 2 bolts out and bam your back to a 50
cobrakiller02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
rubidriver

Everyone on here seems to hate the Lifan motor. No one has answered my ? yet. Its going to take more than a few lines to answer it I know that for sure.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
cobrakiller02

Bike(s):
To many to list

i have a coolster 125 motor in my 50 and havnt had any probs with besides cracking my case today. why does it matter..didnt you just sell your bike cause you didnt have time for it? not trying to be a but doesnt make since
Old 05-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
rubidriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiller02 View Post
i have a coolster 125 motor in my 50 and havnt had any probs with besides cracking my case today. why does it matter..didnt you just sell your bike cause you didnt have time for it? not trying to be a but doesnt make since
I didnt have time to do the work it needed to get it back where it needed to be. The rear rim needed to be trued, 1 spoke was missing, it was eating rear tubes like no ones business. I didnt like a lot of things about the bike as a whole. I dont have time to ride something right now but Im talking about doing a build in a few months.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
cobrakiller02

Bike(s):
To many to list

look at http://www.killermotorsports.com/ get a motor from them and save the hassel..mine bolted right in with out any probs

Advertisement