MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

OK you are right CDill. It's not that they think they are going too fast, they are and recovery is not possible.
Keith Code will have to rethink this whole deal.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How loose is too loose? Chain question. ivancuriel General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 06-30-2011 06:26 PM
Loose front brake pads Ares General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 05-31-2010 08:33 PM
rear end of bike feels loose... MudBug General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 07-09-2009 07:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

I think most on track crashes is from rear end sliding out, lowsiding. As for crashing for running off the track is just rider's error + vairables of ground condition.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #23
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I think most on track crashes is from rear end sliding out, lowsiding. As for crashing for running off the track is just rider's error + vairables of ground condition.
the rear end sliding out isn't lowsiding.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #24
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
full lean, lowsiding

If the lowside don't get you the highside will.

either way, I still think the rear wheel is where most crashes happened.

Last edited by level5; 05-03-2009 at 02:18 PM.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
It is unless it catches, then it very quickly turns into a highside.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
It is unless it catches, then it very quickly turns into a highside.
I've never seen a rear end slide that resulted in a low side. That would be quite a sight.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #27
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Quote:
I've never seen a rear end slide that resulted in a low side. That would be quite a sight.
I've seen it happen. I've never personally done it, but I've seen it. I think if you stay on the gas, two things are going to happen. Your either going to ride the slide out, or it will come all the way around and lay the bike down on the low side. If you try to "save" it, it can regain enough traction to throw you over the highside when it regains composure (remember at speed the wheels want to go straight).
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #28
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

for a few years I shot a lot of pictures at the races and the kind of get offs varied with the color of the number plate. yellow carrying the brakes to deep was common as well as just running off the track. white front end tuck even power lowsides. With both novice and expert the number of touches was there as well the white the touches had to be much harder for the people to leave the track.

both colors had power slides go to highside more then lowside
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #29
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

as for myself first real get off was on a ysr shock broke in half and I hit the track very weird. I had gone off the track on the cbr in a red river before that but not fallen.

Next got t-boned and like a fool rolled off the throttle my front tire caught Craigs rear and it threw me and the bike straight up all I could see was the word Montgomery upside down riding away corner worker said it was the most spectacular crash he had ever seen. I couldn't figure out how I got in that position the corner worker said my pass was bad .

next I had a slipping and grabbing clutch on the bike it would start to slip and then lock up did one time coming out of 10 at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Again I made the big mistake of rolling off as my rear spun up. Highsided big time still can see Mike Sanchez with his rear tire off the ground trying to miss me thanks Mike.

Last the bike went down I have no idea was told there was oil on the track 5 more bikes came into the gravel trap behind me and they cleaned the track so maybe it was. I sure didn't see it, first race my wife watched last race I ran in.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #30
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
I've seen it happen. I've never personally done it, but I've seen it. I think if you stay on the gas, two things are going to happen. Your either going to ride the slide out, or it will come all the way around and lay the bike down on the low side. If you try to "save" it, it can regain enough traction to throw you over the highside when it regains composure (remember at speed the wheels want to go straight).
The way I see it, staying on the throttle until a hard part hits ground and completely unloads one or both tires. Like you are saying, the back wheel is gonna keep coming around and the bike keeps leaning toward ground. I saw this happen in from of me coming out of turn 3 at OHR. The bike did a donut it came around so hard. It spun down on the left rearset peg it looked like.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #31
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

I have had ALOT of wrecks cause I had the accelerated learning curve, with that said almost all of mine were simply cause I ran out of traction with the front and lost in a low side. Had one real violent high side cause I spun up the rear and the it caught and spit me off.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #32
DustinJ

Feedback Rating: (-1)

Bike(s):
'09 R6
'08 R6

Send a message via MSN to DustinJ
Alot of crashes truthfully depend on the group that your riding in... novice and slower intermediate guys are usually the ones who target fixate, or think they're too hot and run off or do something else to cause a crash. Losing the rear can really happen in any group, I guess... tucking the front is usually in the advanced group and is caused by guys trying to push too hard on entry or too much midcorner speed for the conditions.
CMRA Expert #979
Sponsored by: AAA Lift Trucks Racing, Sunny Motorsports, RaceWorx / Jim Cambora
DustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #33
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Ironically...HighSideDave did exactly that in front of me in turn 16
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #34
Mongrel

Bike(s):
SV650

I have had two highsides and loads of tucked front end. Tucking the front has been caused by cold track and tires and carrying my brakes too far and also over reacting when someone crashed right in front of me. Most common front end tuck for me is trail braking too far into the corner. Last one was at ECR. Heavy trail breaking on the down hill part of the track and I hit a bump just right and that was all she wrote.
CMRA #161 RRSW (CCS) #61
Mongrel Racing
Faith69
Roof Helmets
Dunlop Tires
Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #35
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
In my cornerworking experience the actually crashes that occured on the track (not runoffs, and then dumped it in the dirt) were mostly tucked fronts as a result of grabbing a fistfull of brake mid turn.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #36
Capt Penetrate
A view from my office

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 Track
07 R1 to pose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Really neither. Most common is run off and dump it in the grass.
Happen to me last week, i had a false neutral entering t2 at msrh, decided to go straight in grass and the front wheel got stuck in the soft dirt.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #37
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Front end tuck or running off track or into a curbing due to improper judgement entering a turn or during mid corner corrections led to all my miniGP crashes.

I've fallen once from touching the outside edge by a hair at corner exit, and recently from touching the inside edge of a rumble strip at the apex of a turn.

Had one crazy tumbling highside due to carrying too much speed into a corner and applying too much rear brake (yes, I use the rear brake on track).

All other crashes were losing the front end by misjudging available traction, mainly in left right type transitions.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #38
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

85% of all accidents on the track occur from too much corner entry speed. (that includes low sides, tucking the front, losing the rear, off-roading etc.) It's all from too much corner entry speed (for that particular rider at that particular time).

Another 12% occure from too much throttle on corner exit. (ie-high side, or if you're lucky, just the rear slides out)

3% - everything else.

This is directly from RideSmart's classroom material.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #39
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Sounds to me like most of the accidents are from too much corner entry speed. Whether it be you are too hot and trail braking too deep into the corner, thinking you are too hot and stand it up and run off, hitting a bump while on the brakes deep into the corner.

All of those are a secondary result from the main issue. But I guess if I am forced to pick one of the two OP mentioned, I'd say...tucking the front.

I have had 2 crashes in the last 10 months. 1st I tucked the front, 2nd I endo'd. The endo was too much corner entry speed....the tucking was trying to counter steer myself to a tighter line to pass.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #40
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=90070

Advertisement