MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

A Tale of Two Pipes

Here we have two pictures of the resplendent 2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 in all its glory. For study here are the exhaust canisters -- they are huge and, in my opinion (but certainly not mine alone), beyond ugly. They are slightly curved and look a bit like art deco, maybe something that belonged on a building designed in the 1930s, a late 1950s / early 1960s Cadillac, or perhaps on the Batmobile from the Michael Keaton-era. That muffler is a freak of nature, but regardless, if one wasn't enough, Suzuki gave you two.

Then note the Yoshimura GSX-R 1000 in motion at Barber. Note how Yosh made a pipe that is all about function, but also happens to capture form, too. It's not a gaudy pipe at all to look at, and, it no doubt it weighs a significant amount less than the factory pipe that Suzuki chose to burden the stock bike with. Power? I'm certain it makes a measurable amout more.

Now, there are some considerations that must be brought up beyond aesthetics. Pipes and mufflers are designed to not only work well at routing exhaust, but to meet certain noise requirements. (Sometimes they have cat converters in them as well.) Surely those big, ugly cans on the stock pipe quiet the motorcycle enough to make the bike USA friendly when it comes to noise and unburned hydrocarbons. Another consideration is tuning. Generally speaking, a 4 into 2 system evens the power a bit while a 4 into 1 system can sometimes leave a small flat spot in power somewhere in the middle of the revs. No doubt that Suzuki designed the stock pipe to work well over a broad range of conditions for the average rider, which, in a way, only makes sense on paper because I'd bet the vast majority of GSX-R owners toss the pipe in favor of aftermarket within the first year of ownership.

Anyhoo...

2009 suzuki gsx r1000

TR3 7450
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
no fishermans tale! RACER X Off Topic 12 05-28-2015 02:22 PM
A Male Fairy Tale floyd600 Off Topic 21 06-03-2013 10:00 AM
Let us not forget - A Christmas Tale ThomasNinja650 Off Topic 13 12-05-2009 11:40 PM
The Fairy Tale that should Have been Read to Little Girls! bunxx Off Topic 8 04-30-2009 06:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Gsxr1000 Stock Exhaust = Ugly as !
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

I would be willing to bet California emissions are a driving force behind this design. Do you have any pics of a Euro spec GSXR?

Either way, it is a sneaky marketing tool to sell more aftermarket exhausts. Yamaha pretty much did the same thing with the 09 R1.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I'm fairly certain the Euro 3 emissions standards that this bike needs to meet are as tough, if not tougher, tan cali standards.

Factory GSXR 1k exhaust has been disgustingly ugly since '05.

As an aside: the racebike's color scheme looks some much frickin' better than stock its ridiculous. Those silver accents look TERRIBLE.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

I am gald to see they are at least trying to get more style the the simple canister, granted form may follow function and keep it simple.
But a little more creativity than just a canister is nice to see.

I preferred the 08 design and I think the 09 misses the mark.
The Rooster tail affect is more suited to a marine application.
might look cool on a small hydroplane.

I also like the dual exhaust look.

I think running 4 into 2 increases the volume of the system this means you can clear more exhaust through the system at a slower exhaust velocity.
I would think this would help the cat. converter do its job.
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Dual whale penises!!!!

Sign me up!

cost effectiveness; the cans are probably identical so they only have to make one base model for each side then weld on the collector. As 1340HIGH mentioned, its all about the emission fines/discount for efficient emission concerns.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post

As an aside: the racebike's color scheme looks some much frickin' better than stock its ridiculous. Those silver accents look TERRIBLE.
I bet that if Suzuki offered the racebike paint scheme, stickers and all, people would be lined up out the door to get one!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Honestly I think both those pipes look ugly