Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
GraemePC

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

More electrical issues

I feel like I've made way too many of these threads lately but my bike just doesn't want to run right. It is a 98 Honda f3.

Last week I noticed that my headlight was dim but it would get brighter with the throttle. It still ran fine so I left it alone. Then one morning last week I went to leave and the bike weakly turned over but wouldn't fire. I didn't have time to mess with it until this week. I tried to start it up again but it would just barely turn over and wouldn't fire.

I put the battery on a tender overnight and the next morning it was apparently fully charged. I put it in the bike and everything lit up and it turned over fine but it still wouldn't fire. After 3 or 4 attempts at cranking it it got noticably weaker and finally after about 45 seconds of total cranking time the battery went completely dead.

The battery is only 5 months old but the bike has had other electrical issues so I wouldn't be suprised if it was toast. The voltage regulator is less than 2 months old and it doesn't appear burnt out like the last one.

Basically I am asking if this looks like I need a new battery(hopefully), a new starter(I hope not) or something else. Any ideas?
GraemePC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having ?? electrical ?? issues w/video. The BeastMaster How To's and Q & A's 16 12-31-2014 01:26 PM
01 SV650 electrical issues zombiejesus General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 12-16-2010 09:03 PM
ELECTRICAL ISSUES ALEXD How To's and Q & A's 11 06-21-2009 09:38 AM
yzf600r electrical issues Da9tegra How To's and Q & A's 7 11-19-2008 01:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
when you say voltage regulator, is that the same as the rectifier? I know those F2's and F3's were known for burning up the rectifier. If that has been replaced, I'd go with a new battery and see what happens. Perhaps you burned up the new rectifier using the old battery?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
when you say voltage regulator, is that the same as the rectifier? I know those F2's and F3's were known for burning up the rectifier.
Yeah I meant rectifier. I already had one burn up but I replaced it with an aftermarket one about 2 months ago and it doesn't show any signs of being burnt out.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

checked to make sure the stator is doing it's job? and what brand of aftermarket rectifier did you put in?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
checked to make sure the stator is doing it's job?
I have a voltmeter but I can't check it until I can get the bike running. It was fine when I checked it when I replaced the rectifier.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

I bought this one. It was recommended in by someone in the first thread.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

well, I'm no MC mechanic, but there are 3 main parts to your electrical system. Stator, Rectifier, and battery. You had a bad rectifier while using a new battery and discovered the rectifier was shot. You replaced it with a new one and everything seemed to be working (stator checked out ok). I'd start with replacing the battery (it's the cheapest and most convenient to replace; no warranty on the new one?) and then see the symptoms. Good chance you could have burned that battery with the bad rectifier.

Or take it to Motorcycles Unlimited....I'm sure he'd look it over for free or diagnose it for a small fee.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

Thanks for your input. I hope it is the battery but I wanted some outside input before I spent the money on a new one. Being a poor college student sucks. I would definitely have taken it to Motorcycles Unlimited if I was in town, but I am 1200 miles away at school right now.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Charliebrown

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
zzr

Ill trade you a honda civic hatch for your bike the way it is, problem solved.
Charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebrown View Post
Ill trade you a honda civic hatch for your bike the way it is, problem solved.
I don't need a civic but i'll trade it for some cash. I will be selling it in the next couple of months because i'll be studying abroad in Italy this fall and I don't want it to just sit for 5 months.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
The battery hold the charge and completes the system.

The generator(stator) uses rotational magnets off the crank to produce A/C voltage.

The rectifier converts that 3-wire alternating current into direct power for the battery to recharge it.

So... if your headlight is getting dim while riding, your idle could be too low(not creating enough speed to keep power up) or you could have something going out. The battery will only drain while running if it is shorted through and becoming a load on the system(very unlikely.) The system reverts back to using the power from the battery when the charging system becomes inadequate.

You may have charged it overnight, but it may only by a static or momentary charge if the cells/acid cannot hold the charge.

Get a battery from walmart or anywhere else that has a good warranty, and every 2 years be sure to replace it.

With that problem solved, make sure your idle is high enough. Whatever the owners manual says about checking voltage at what rpm, go by that. sometimes its 13v plus after 2krpms. Regardless, if your bike makes the same voltage as it does off vs at 2-3krpms, your system isn't charging.

Check each of the three alternating currents w the DVOM; around 80V A/C, if Im not hugely mistaken.

As you said the system is dim in the morning when you start then runs fine. Either their is a draw on the bike when off(parasitic draw) or the system isn't charging inadequately. 5-6 months if far too short for a battery to fail on its own.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

Check the baqttery acid with a hydrometer, if all cells check good then it should not be the battery.

Parasitic draw could well be the gremlin and it can be hard to find once diagnosed.

As Cali pointed out the 3 wire AC from the alternator is rectified to a DC voltage.

The alternter may have lost its ability to generate one of the 3 phases to the rectifier is so the rectifier output while still DC it not very good signal.

If the battery checks good or you replaced it and still have the problem I would see about having the alternater checked somewhere, if it checks good then have the rectifier tested.

you would have hit the big three then, I doubt its the starter since it still works unless it is the source of parasitic draw, doubtful.

My betting money at this point would be the alternator has lost a phase,
this used to be a repairble thing on older cars, replacing a diode, doubt it is now but at least it was on cars of the 70s and 80s.

Good Luck
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

if you were riding alot with a bad rectifier then you prolly fried your stator. Have your battery tested . If its ok i bet its the stator.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

going through the same thing now, but i havnt checked my stator yet. I will be replacing it anyways.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

Wow I am dumb. I can't believe I never tried this before but I just tried to push start it and its running like a champ. I guess it's definitely the battery. I'll replace that with my next paycheck.

Thanks for the input everyone. Slowly but surely I'm learning how to repair/maintain this thing.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #16
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Try to go to Patrick's Monthly Maintenance Class at Motorcycles Unlimited. It's free and worth the saturday morning if you can make it. He offers a wealth of knowledge; the more you know the better the motorcycling experience will be.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Try to go to Patrick's Monthly Maintenance Class at Motorcycles Unlimited. It's free and worth the saturday morning if you can make it. He offers a wealth of knowledge; the more you know the better the motorcycling experience will be.
I'll keep that in mind when I get back to Houston. I know Patrick does great work, Motorcycles Unlimited is the only shop i have ever taken my bikes to.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #18
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

I was gonna guess the battery to until you said you got it running. Sometimes you just get a bad one.....sometimes, parasitic drains on the system kills em. Keep it on a battery tender when not riding it.

Its pretty common for the headlight to be more dim at idle then at 3-4k rpms....the charging systems on bikes don't put out for voltage at 1200rpms...Some are better the others. Hondas are notorious for charging systems.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
jdm_phunk
RideTillDeathDoUsPart

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
05 CBR 600RR
50cC pocKet rocKet
95 Toyota Supra TT
95 ciVic