MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Vehicular Murder?
Yes 52 59.09%
No 36 40.91%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #21
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I agree with you that there is no intention but you (generic not personal) should be driving.
I don;t see the difference between a drunk driver adn someone texting, in both cases there was no intention, why should they be threated differently?
That seriously is the most ridiculous comment I have heard in a while.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell Phones!! brandon077 Stolen Bike Reports 8 09-15-2011 09:24 PM
pos cell phones Urandaman Off Topic 4 07-27-2007 09:35 PM
cell phones and bikes slim General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 03-11-2007 02:17 AM
cell phones handozizle Off Topic 0 12-01-2006 07:54 PM
myspace to cell phones The Menace Off Topic 3 05-05-2006 08:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterflypro View Post
What we really need is a continuing education system for driving, along with a public awareness program and safe driving information.

In your face or else type of program.
I like the CE idea here - continued training required. So many hours of classroom and road work every year. It's required for professional licenses (engineers, medical doctors, etc.) why not extend it to driver's license. I find it hard to reconcile that one can take one test at 16 and drive until they die at 90 and never have to take the test again.

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #23
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
no.

I talk on the phone alot, I text alot. I eat while driving, People put on make up while driving. People do alot while driving.

If I kill some guy on a bike, Im going to feel like for the rest of my life. But, it was an accident. I did not plan on killing someone. Should the family have the right to sue me? Yes.

If I get charged for murder while texting, then any accident that causes a death while driving should be charged with murder as well. They are all accidents, or the person operating the vehicle not paying attention at the wrong time.
there's a reason that most PC types call them "collisions" instead of "accidents." Its because the vast majority could have been prevented. If your negligence at operating a weapon causes the death of someone, you should be held accontable. The charge shouldn't be vehicular homecide, but it SHOULD be negligent homecide.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterflypro View Post

What we really need is a continuing education system for driving, along with a public awareness program and safe driving information.

I fail to see how this will work. I'm actually astonished that you, yourself, can't see that this can't work. Think of ALL the warnings and instruction and safety precautions on all the products in this world..........and people still hurt/maim/kill themselves all the time.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #25
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
there's a reason that most PC types call them "collisions" instead of "accidents." Its because the vast majority could have been prevented. If your negligence at operating a weapon causes the death of someone, you should be held accontable. The charge shouldn't be vehicular homecide, but it SHOULD be negligent homecide.
Thats why I also added in my post about not paying attention, call it what you want, but I dont mean to harm anyone. Therefore its an accident. If not, then the word Accident should be deleted from the dictionary.

I see what you are saying tho.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #26
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Thats why I also added in my post about not paying attention, call it what you want, but I dont mean to harm anyone. Therefore its an accident. If not, then the word Accident should be deleted from the dictionary.

I see what you are saying tho.

Accident still needs to be in the dictionary, it just doesn't need to be applied to traffic collisions. The charges of negligent homecide ideally fit this situation though. You didn't "mean" to kill someone, but do to your actions (or inactions) someone died.

CMRA #302
Old 05-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #27
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

tomayto, tomauto. lol
Old 05-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #28
Texas94fs
SBN Bus Driver

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

Having lost friends from people yapping on their cell phones and being ignorant of their surroundings there should be a hefty penalty. None of you can sit there and tell me that the conversation with whomever is more important than someones life.

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

due
Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #30
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas94fs View Post
Having lost friends from people yapping on their cell phones and being ignorant of their surroundings there should be a hefty penalty. None of you can sit there and tell me that the conversation with whomever is more important than someones life.
Have you ever talked ona cell phone while driving?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #31
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas94fs View Post
My phone conversation takes precedence over some low life theif's life.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #32
ileono918
On hiatus

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
That seriously is the most ridiculous comment I have heard in a while.
Care to explain why? Before you answer remember you puzzy azz thread about how someone was mean to you while driving.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #33
shutterflypro
Live Hard Die Free

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 Ninja 636
2007 Ninja 500R

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I fail to see how this will work. I'm actually astonished that you, yourself, can't see that this can't work. Think of ALL the warnings and instruction and safety precautions on all the products in this world..........and people still hurt/maim/kill themselves all the time.
Actually, I believe that it would work. I believe in education.

People will always hurt/maim and kill themselves. (That why the Darwin Awards were invented)

However, through the use of our broad media and communication systems, just the fact of reminding someone that slower traffic should stay to the right, or that talking on the phone is dangerous will cause a few to obey that sugestion which will prevent SOME "ACCIDENTS", not all but some.

One humans life is worth the cost of the signs. I would rather see our government spend money on programs like this than bailouts and $900 hammers.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #34
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Care to explain why? Before you answer remember you puzzy azz thread about how someone was mean to you while driving.
Oh I remember my thread. But answering your phone while driving is not comparable to consuming alcohol and intentionally getting behind the wheel of a car.

By your logic if it is determined you were going even 1 mph over the speed limit in the accident then that should be murder as well.

Last edited by Pyrofallout; 05-01-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #35
ileono918
On hiatus

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Oh I remember my thread. But answering your phone while driving is not comparable to consuming alcohol and intentionally getting behind the wheel of a car.

By your logic if it is determined you were going even 1 mph over the speed limit in the accident then that should be murder as well.
When did I mention answering a phone in my post? I said texting, while texting you are not looking at the road, because you are looking at what you are texting not the road.
And lets face it, if it were really important you would make a call not send a text.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #36
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
When did I mention answering a phone in my post? I said texting, while texting you are not looking at the road, because you are looking at what you are texting not the road.
And lets face it, if it were really important you would make a call not send a text.

So your implying we designate that it's ok to talk on the phone but not to txt?

so can we say its ok for woman to put on lipstick while driving but not eye liner becase they need the mirror to do so?

Honestly I have handsfree and all that in my truck. But I don't want to talk on the phone while I am driving. It's easy for me to quickly send the message I need to send and go on driving. And it's not impossible to see the road and the phone at the same time.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #37
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

negligent homicide. you are behind the wheel of an 1800-5000 lbs missile and no matter what speed you travel at there is enough force and momentum to make the vehicle a deadly weapon. Cars kill more people than guns in this country, sounds like a car is far more deadly than a gun. is it ok to shoot a gun and NOT pay attention to where it is aimed or what is down range?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #38
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
negligent homicide. you are behind the wheel of an 1800-5000 lbs missile and no matter what speed you travel at there is enough force and momentum to make the vehicle a deadly weapon. Cars kill more people than guns in this country, sounds like a car is far more deadly than a gun. is it ok to shoot a gun and NOT pay attention to where it is aimed or what is down range?
neither are more deadly. neither are capable of killing someone on their own.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #39
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
neither are more deadly. neither are capable of killing someone on their own.
+1
Old 05-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #40
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

I think makign cell phones and distraction equivalent to murder is not wise.

1. Almost any accident could be prevented. Either the rider, driver, or another natural issue is involved. Driving too fast? Not enough time to brake. Driving too slow, hazard to people behind. Driving in middle with full attention, I've still lost control once of my vehicle on ice, and another on a slick road, no traction at the spot I hit. If I had hit someone, the line between distraction and what was valid is very gray and subject to opinion. What if I was on my cell phone at that time, then its a murder, vs just loss of control?

2. I don't see any precursor in law stating that an accident that occurs in loss of life should cost the other person their life unless it was done with belligerent disregard for safety and dangerous. IE, driving while intoxicated, driving on drugs, road roage, and other extenuating issues. Sooo, some driver ties down some pipes on an 18 wheeler safely, but something goes wrong, it breaks and they kill a driver. YES, the company should cover some costs, he should have checked his work, but the electric chair or jail for life for this mistake/oversight? I don't feel that would be fair.

3. First you would have to ban cell phones while driving, legally make it a felony or serious crime, before you could set precendent for charging someone for murder while being on their phone while driving in the first place. I don't see phones staying legal in cars while driving then as its a "cause of death." Slipperly slope. First your cell phones, then your ipods, then music ? Then kids... What DOESN'T distract you!

Ride/Drive safe fellas.

Last edited by specterunseen; 05-01-2009 at 02:43 PM.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement