MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Dirtbikes?

So, I'm going to lose the ex500 in june, borrowered from a friend. Financially I want to pay cash for bike, and also want a garage/storage area due to theft issues, so I'm going to have to wait just a bit. When I get back on the road, I'll perhaps get a cheap ex500 or something for street commuting kicks, and then go for the motard /dirt bike route.

My question, how many of you find that riding dirt is more fun than street? I've never gotten to do it, but it looks like a heck of a lot more insance and crazy... no worrying about tickets, sliding around corners, no SUV's. Is it really that much fun? Even with trailering the bikes? I mean are there decent places to go explore and ride way out on, or are they limited?

Educate please. I plan on a motard, but perhaps dirtbike route is cheaper and still as much fun?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School me about dirtbikes less_than_coop Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 35 08-18-2015 12:03 AM
Dirtbikes going up..almost vertically iDazzle Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 10 11-03-2014 06:39 PM
New to dirtbikes OMEGA Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 01-28-2014 10:22 PM
where to buy used dirtbikes... upononer6 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 51 07-30-2012 09:12 PM
New to dirtbikes but digging it. Phenoptik Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 33 07-21-2011 04:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Jason_Canuck

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Commuting on a dirt bike won't be fun.

Commuting on motards isn't much better (unless you get a decent seat).

Back roads (for both) is where the fun begins.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
more fun than a sportbike? hard to say. 2 different types of fun. I enjoy my dirtbike b/c I have more ...(backing it in, clearing doubles, hopping whoops, etc.). I enjoy the speed and knee scrubbin' the sportbike gives me. With all that said, dirtbike riding is a of a lot cheaper. a lot cheaper. there are several dirt tracks in the houston area as well as the Sam Houston National Forest (70 miles or so of trail riding) in Huntsville ($25 for an annual pass).
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Dirt bikes are tons of fun, it is a complete different animal than street though.
I could not tell you which one is more fun as they are so different but it is fun nonetheless.
If you have never done so, I would strongly encourage you to do it. I believe in Cherokee you can rent dirt bikes for the day. I am not sure how much it is to rent them but I think is a lot cheaper than buying one.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
rnz450

both are super fun. i grew up in the dirt but because everyone i road with quit riding and sold their . it became boring. make sure you have a riding buddy. places to ride are not the problem. thats why i am on the street now. got my license when i was 15 and started riding on the street with all my old riding buddies. now they have sold their again and im still here with new riding buddies lol.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

yeah, i've done my motard research. That's why an ex500 or sv650 for street. But I'd really like a nice motard, but they are pricey. Seems like dirtbikes are cheaper and might be safer than riding fast on the street anyway. Cheap trail riding then! That sounds like fun. Never done it so trying to get an idea, I want something my wife would enjoy doing. Street, well she won't unless I push it, don't want to push it. Dirt, she might actually find fun without the pressure of traffic.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

get her a little bike too and yall can both hit the trail. a wifey that rides is the best kind
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

dirt still hurts....trust me. when backing it through a turn, then slamming your shoulder into a tree as you clip the corner as well. I thought about getting the wife a dirtbike, i think she would like it, but I don't think she could handle the pace I ride and I sure don't want to ride at her pace. lol
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Sounds like a lightweight dual sport is what your looking for.
Best of both worlds, but not exceedingly good at either.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
ileono918
On hiatus

Experience: 1-3 months

I bought an XR100 for my wife, she rode it for the first time last week. She want to go out this Saturday. I might be on Saturday at Ultimate MX (won't know until Friday though), come by to watch that would give you an idea on more a less how is it at the dirt track.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

i get more of that smile from my childhood on my dirtbike than I do on my honda ruckus than I do on my motard than I do on my street bike....but all are a ton of fun.

but i like to push limits, and I really restrict myself as that list moves to the right.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
i get more of that smile from my childhood on my dirtbike than I do on my honda ruckus than I do on my motard than I do on my street bike....but all are a ton of fun.

but i like to push limits, and I really restrict myself as that list moves to the right.
Totally agree, the smaller the CC, the more you can push yourself and have real fun. Commuting is fine on a dual sport if you don't mind riding a tall bike with relatively low power output. I commuted on a DR250 dual sport for a couple of years. It had 17 HP, topped at 82 mph, and got great mileage. Not a good street biie, not a good dirt bike, but I could ride it just about anywhere and ride it at it's limits all day long. Now with bikes like the WR250 and DRZ400 options are much better.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

yeah. I've been riding almost 2 years and I know what I like generally. I like the ex500 or the sv650 for street use more. The motard will be for when I live in San Antonio and have twisties a short hop away someday. I do NOT want a dual sport. Not my thing. I've ridden a KLR as well, ok, but I'm not a slow poke rider. (yeah I know you can ride it fast too, just not my thing).

With dirt, what difference in us getting 250's vs 450's for dirt use? Big difference in price, what difference in utility as we could have 2 250's for almost the same price as one 450... top speed? Weight much better?

This would be for fun trail riding, maybe some light camping back at the truck, but the trails would be just for fun. I'd like to eventually do some dirt track riding if I got into it, so I'd want something that could crossover into some amatuer (for fun) racing on a track. Seems cheaper than street bike track days.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

250 two smoker...cheap and hellafast...even with 250 lbs of mass riding it. much bigger than 250 and people start complaining they are just too much for the trails. and a 250 is good for mx too.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

ok so 250 sounds great. I rode a ninja 250 for a while. So i know top speed isn't the deal on dirt, but what are you looking at with a dirtbike 250, 50-60 mph? They have more torque right since? Or is it just the lightweight that makes them crazy to ride.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

2 stroke 250 offers a great deal of torque and very lightweight. Not sure about top speed as most of my riding is done between 2nd and 3 gear (trails and motocross). I'd say wot in 5th gear tops out around 55 or 60 mph.

YOU BETTER FEEL SPECIAL, this is my 9,999th post.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

dbuck, we had to be going somewhere around 60-70 mph down the service road on knobbies...maybe faster.

the first question you need to ask yourself OP is this:
what is it's intended purpose?

then:
will it need to be street legal?
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

no on street legal. That's what I'll get a full motard for.
Intended purpose to rail on the trails. Possibly some dirt track time for fun.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
no on street legal. That's what I'll get a full motard for.
Intended purpose to rail on the trails. Possibly some dirt track time for fun.
how much do you weigh? height?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

like said above. for starting get a 125 or 250 two stroke. cheap bikes plenty of power with the 25o and you cant beat that smell of a 2smoke

Advertisement