MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Kevin Cameron Is Always A Good Read

I've been entertained by Kevin Cameron for years. Not long ago I read his article in Cycle World entitled "The Last Superbike", which basically tells the story of the 2009 AMA superbike rules package juxtaposed against Ben Spies's 2008 Yoshimura superbike as built and maintained by Tom Houseworth. Good stuff.

In the article, Cameron talks about parts failure as a way of life for superbikes when the rules permitted some modifications and failure abatement methods versus the new rules. When speaking of connecting rod failures, he states, "Direct strain measurement is illegal, now, Houseworth commented, because it's a modification to the con-rod. Where does that leave them? Snug the bolts to 11 foot-pounds, then swing the wrench 70 degrees. If everything is right, if the surfaces are smooth, if the parts weren't made at the end of the production tool's life, it may be okay." Funny stuff.

On the usage of stock parts to somehow acheive parity in the field, Cameron muses, "If you believe that there are really great riders back in the pack - thier skill invisible - who would challenge Mladin & Co. if only they rode bikes as good as thiers, you might very well support mandatory stock parts as a way to set thier talent free." Hehe. Don't have to guess what Cameron thinks.

In speaking of TBF (time before failures), and speaking specifically about wheels (2009 stock versus 2008 and before after-market), Cameron writes, "I asked Houseworth about wheels. 'We have a time limit,' he said. 'Two seaons, - 20 races a season. On my crew, I have one guy that does nothing but wheels.' Will the mandated stock wheels be reliable under racing stress? Will teams have to Zyglo-inspect them for cracks? If so, how frequently?" Hmmm. Probably better safe than sorry, but those teams have budget like the club racer doesn't, of course.