MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #101
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I just want to say I resent the "old"wing comment. Man, I already feel old enough don't rub it in. My wife calls it that too makes me want to slap er upside the head. Again the watercooled motor has been invented why are they still using air cooled? I am surprised they use a round wheel instead of a square one. :keke Even my harley friends get tired of their bikes overheating in parades traffic etc.

Low end torgue are you kidding? My friends brother n law couldn't believe how much power he had on my wing in 5th gear compared to his ultra. He said he would have to downshift twice to get that much torque and pulling power. Btw soon as we got back from the trip I heard he is shopping for goldwings on the net. Another goldwing convert on the way.

But they don't and they won't as long as they keep selling 50 year old technology to people silly enough to pay top dollar for one just because IT IS a HARLEY and they make a cool noise when they idle.

don't even go there I whooped buell's on top end while I was riding sidesaddle on my chopper coming back from South Padre. He couldn't believe someone could go 140mph riding a chopper sidesaddle.

the vast majority of harley riders don't want water-cooled bikes. harley knows this, and caters to them. but it's only a matter of time before they're forced to go to water-cooled to be able to pass emissions.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sportbike vs cruisers/choppers ecclissiass General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-19-2012 09:08 PM
choppers Moose9 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-19-2011 04:21 PM
Japanese choppers ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 12-17-2010 12:10 AM
Cruisers- Choppers-Harleys Video StarC Cruisers Lounge 14 07-11-2005 06:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #102
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
the vast majority of harley riders don't want water-cooled bikes. harley knows this, and caters to them. but it's only a matter of time before they're forced to go to water-cooled to be able to pass emissions.
why do they not want water cooled engines?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #103
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

Interesting that no one else has pointed this out, but this year alone - Harley has 35 different models available.

I'm not a HD expert, but I know that between the line-ups of XL, Dyna, Softail, and Touring... they change between 2 different motors, 3 different rear suspensions, and 4 different front suspensions..

That's a shitload of variety. All the threads where people go off track and then start bashing Harley... it doesn't make sense. HD makes a good product, but, even more important than that, they give you so many different choices, each bike comes with it's own unique personality, that can be matched to whoever you are... in my book that's a pretty good thing.

Do they own the cruiser market? Yes. Will they own it forever? As long as they keep making such an impressive line-up - I hope so.

Or you could buy a Japanese cruiser. The Japanese manufacturers, hmm..

Suzuki sells 16 variations of the Boulevard. It's the same bike, over and over again, with 6 different motor sizes. Added a headlight nacelle? Ooh.. let's make that a different model... downswept fender? Wow, another model.

Kawasaki makes a 125, and then 14 different Vulcans across 6 different motor sizes, the only one with a touch of uniqueness being the Vulcan 1700 Voyager. Otherwise they all came from the same cookie-cutter, but with different sprinkles.

Honda? Boooring... would you like a Shadow or a VTX? 9 bikes over 4 model lines and 4 different motors.

Yamaha's the only one that makes a respectable showing. 26 bikes across 8 different model lines. These boys are doing something right, and they are making some really good looking bikes.

Harley, fortunately, doesn't make a 250, or a 500. They do that so that you have something to look forward to upgrading to after you sell your Metric. Because there's a distinctly different feel to the motor on an HD.. something more pleasing about a usable, predictable powerband - that makes guys trade their 1700's and 1800's and whatever else Metrics in for good old Twin Cams.

It's not all "mystique."

It's choices.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #104
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_sandman View Post
Interesting that no one else has pointed this out, but this year alone - Harley has 35 different models available.

I'm not a HD expert, but I know that between the line-ups of XL, Dyna, Softail, and Touring... they change between 2 different motors, 3 different rear suspensions, and 4 different front suspensions..

That's a shitload of variety. All the threads where people go off track and then start bashing Harley... it doesn't make sense. HD makes a good product, but, even more important than that, they give you so many different choices, each bike comes with it's own unique personality, that can be matched to whoever you are... in my book that's a pretty good thing.

Do they own the cruiser market? Yes. Will they own it forever? As long as they keep making such an impressive line-up - I hope so.

Or you could buy a Japanese cruiser. The Japanese manufacturers, hmm..

Suzuki sells 16 variations of the Boulevard. It's the same bike, over and over again, with 6 different motor sizes. Added a headlight nacelle? Ooh.. let's make that a different model... downswept fender? Wow, another model.

Kawasaki makes a 125, and then 14 different Vulcans across 6 different motor sizes, the only one with a touch of uniqueness being the Vulcan 1700 Voyager. Otherwise they all came from the same cookie-cutter, but with different sprinkles.

Honda? Boooring... would you like a Shadow or a VTX? 9 bikes over 4 model lines and 4 different motors.

Yamaha's the only one that makes a respectable showing. 26 bikes across 8 different model lines. These boys are doing something right, and they are making some really good looking bikes.

Harley, fortunately, doesn't make a 250, or a 500. They do that so that you have something to look forward to upgrading to after you sell your Metric. Because there's a distinctly different feel to the motor on an HD.. something more pleasing about a usable, predictable powerband - that makes guys trade their 1700's and 1800's and whatever else Metrics in for good old Twin Cams.

It's not all "mystique."

It's choices.
It's the marketinig and they were tired of their friends giving them no respect for riding a bike or a rice burner etc. But after they do it they still know deep down their bike was faster, turned better and stopped faster and more confortable.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #105
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #106
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

^^^^That's a nice looking ride right there!^^^^
Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #107
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
The only cruisers that are on par with my vrod are the m109 and VMax (Which i consider a mutant Dirtbike). You're Oldwing is a 6 cyl cadillac so dont start!!!
edit: forgot the Victory Hammer
But yes it is about choices....who could refuse this choice?

pic8

That is a nice looking victory. Anytime you are ready bring out the vrod in the hillcountry and this oldman and this oldwing cadillac will kick your pushrod all over the hillcountry. Well r u man enough? Hmm punk?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #108
MACK
I'm voice activated

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade
'03 Yamaha Zuma 50
'03 Hoe owne 24...biach
and your maum'z!!!

Member Garage

what about the warrior?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #109
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

actually bill, that's a modded VROD. and just an fyi, the vrod doesn't have pushrods either. but clever wordplay, i guess. haha
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #110
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

User is banned

Old 05-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #111
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

User is banned

Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #112
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACK View Post
what about the warrior?
they're cool looking, but for the price of one, i'd rather have a harley.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #113
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Thats a Vrod (Custom body kit on it) ....sure anytime man
Wow a dude with some don't see that much anymore. Well I am doing a trackday next weekend how about the weekend after that. May 16 I believe we can meet in either Bandera or Boerne and go the twisted sisters from there. I will let you lead first to see if I can pass you and then vice a versa. Or we could just time each other through a real tight section. Your call.

btw that was an awesome looking vrod.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #114
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Send a message via Yahoo to m109runner
I've rode Harleys. I've rode the Oldwing (pops has one), I've owned the VTX and now the 109. I havnt ever been impressed with any Hardley, performance, handling, comfort, not to mention all their line up visually isn't my style. It might be for some people and that's why the sell what they do. If I was selling $50 million in proffits every year why would I change anything?? Would I buy one? No

The Goldwing is known as the Cadillac of all bikes. Yes its comfy, has lots of power and room to carry everything needed for a 3 day trip. Would I but one?......not yet....gimme a few years.
The cruisers...out of all I have ever ridden, performance wise, the 109 all the way! Handling isn't the greatest but she'll run like in a strait line!! I've had the chance to run against the Wing and walked away from it with no prob.

I don't think you can compare any of these bike to one another because they are so different. But obviously they all are doing something right or they wouldn't sell anything.

Its all in what someone wants to buy. What they are willing put put the cash down for.

lighting the world one bike at a time!!!
m109runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #115
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by part A

Quote:
Originally Posted by part B
Quote:
Originally Posted by part C
Quote:
Originally Posted by part D
Quote:
Originally Posted by part E

I fail to see how part A is any different from B,C,D, or E other than you've attempted to paste the exact same thing in a more negative light on the latter 4.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #116
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by m109runner View Post
The Goldwing is known as the Cadillac of all bikes. Yes its comfy, has lots of power and room to carry everything needed for a 3 day trip. Would I but one?......not yet....gimme a few years.
You're killing me here. Are you saying I am old is the reason I bought one? I don't think that is it. I rented one and rode hwy 1. I was keeping up with sportbikes in the twisties, the motor would pull out of 10mph switchback uphill in 3rd gear, my wife was confortable and I had rock'n tunes the whole time. I bought one soon as I got back and never regretted it. Now my gixxer and chopper sit dormant in the garage.
Quote:
I've had the chance to run against the Wing and walked away from it with no prob.
What year wing? And you be in my rear view mirror in the twisties.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #117
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

Not painting it in a negative light. It's a lack of choices. To produce the same bike but simply put different motors in them - to me - is a little bland.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #118
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Send a message via Yahoo to m109runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
You're killing me here. Are you saying I am old is the reason I bought one? I don't think that is it. I rented one and rode hwy 1. I was keeping up with sportbikes in the twisties, the motor would pull out of 10mph switchback uphill in 3rd gear, my wife was confortable and I had rock'n tunes the whole time. I bought one soon as I got back and never regretted it. Now my gixxer and chopper sit dormant in the garage.

What year wing? And you be in my rear view mirror in the twisties.
I by no means am calling you old....it just doesn't fit me or my style yet. Give me a few more years of riding for style point and then I'll be going for comfort points!!

It is an 05 wing. Off the line and thru the 1/4 mile mark I was still in front. And there is no doubt you would leave me in the twisties. I can get this 109 to drop in for anything! Its that damm 250 on the back thats holding me back....or the lack of testicular fortitude....whatever one works

lighting the world one bike at a time!!!
m109runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #119
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

User is banned

Old 05-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #120
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_sandman View Post
To produce the same bike but simply put different motors in them - to me - is a little bland.
And you somehow feel that Harley is doing something different? Thats what I don't get......
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement