MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #81
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
Choppers don't have to be expensive....just don't pay for a brand name.

Here is ours that won the Houston IMS show. Its built with a honda engine and gsxr wheels & brakes. We sell these around 10k & they'll outrun almost any chopper.
WOW... I'd hit that in a heartbeat!

What company is that? Are they local?
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sportbike vs cruisers/choppers ecclissiass General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-19-2012 09:08 PM
choppers Moose9 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-19-2011 04:21 PM
Japanese choppers ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 12-17-2010 12:10 AM
Cruisers- Choppers-Harleys Video StarC Cruisers Lounge 14 07-11-2005 06:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #82
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
I'm a little lost. My 1990 Honda - designed 45ci motor puts out 100hp and 53lb/ft. How does a 2009 80ci Harley motor produce just 120hp/ 85 ft/lb? That's not very innovative.

Please take into account thats it has got over 54k miles on the clock and still purring with just oil changes.
your 600cc sportbike is a completely different animal from the tc96 engine in harleys and isn't even remotely fair to compare them. the tc96, and harley motors in general (except for the vrod) aren't designed with hp in mind. they are only concerned with torque, reliability, and passing emissions. if you're going to compare harley engines to anything, at least compare them to the metric cruisers. apples to apples.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #83
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by puertorico600r View Post
I have taken apart a 05 and 07 Harley road king and the way they put these things together is , I dont think they are worth the money at all. But every person is different.
please elaborate. i'm curious what you didn't like about how they were put together.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #84
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
please elaborate. i'm curious what you didn't like about how they were put together.
Probably the letters....H A R L E Y

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #85
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Let's not turn this into a us vs, them thing.

The point I keep trying to get to is that I believe ALL cruisers to be over priced.
It is incorrect to compare sportbike performance, hp and torque, because the bikes are so different.
The only reason I brought bikes into this was to say that sportbikes have a HUGE amount of technology in their design, construction and materials. Yet, they cost thousands less than cruisers, especially Harleys.

Besides saying cuz they're cool or because that's what people will pay, why is that?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #86
Redux

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
your 600cc sportbike is a completely different animal from the tc96 engine in harleys and isn't even remotely fair to compare them. the tc96, and harley motors in general (except for the vrod) aren't designed with hp in mind. they are only concerned with torque, reliability, and passing emissions. if you're going to compare harley engines to anything, at least compare them to the metric cruisers. apples to apples.
Mine is a 750cc V-4
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #87
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Mine is a 750cc V-4
SecretAgent still makes a good (and valid) point. It's not like they can't design their v-twins to have more HP. It's just a play on cams, pistons, rods, etc. to get exactly what they're looking for. Btw, there's a huge difference between 53 lb-ft vs. 85 lb-ft torque, which I assure you will feel in the seat of your pants.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #88
Redux

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
SecretAgent still makes a good (and valid) point. It's not like they can't design their v-twins to have more HP. It's just a play on cams, pistons, rods, etc. to get exactly what they're looking for. Btw, there's a huge difference between 53 lb-ft vs. 85 lb-ft torque, which I assure you will feel in the seat of your pants.
You know, you're right. I need to ride a real Harley. Anyone want to let me ride theirs?
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #89
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
If those are the only 3 things they're concerned about....I grade harley at a 66%.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #90
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #91
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

User is banned

Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #92
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
People are forgetting that Cruisers weigh 2x-3x as much as a sportbike...that sort of has an effect.
BEEP wrong answer My wing is heavier than a hawg and I still kick its 2 ways to sunday.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #93
mammothmc

The green chopper in the pic is around 70 lbs heavier than your average 600
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #94
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
BEEP wrong answer My wing is heavier than a hawg and I still kick its 2 ways to sunday.
Your Wing is neither cruiser nor sportbike.

Jeezus bill - you dont have to argue everything. Go get laid or something.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #95
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Your Wing is neither cruiser nor sportbike.

Jeezus bill - you dont have to argue everything. Go get laid or something.
What is it then? Does my wing not a have a title? It is just a "wing" no cruiser no sportbike no nothing? And I did get laid last night. It was fun too.

He was the one that said the reason harleys were slower than sportbikes was because of the weight becuause it is considered a cruiser. That is the only reason I posted what I did. U think I am argumentative. what the are you suppose te be on a message board?. ON every post type +1 or something?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #96
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
What is it then? Does my wing not a have a title? It is just a "wing" no cruiser no sportbike no nothing? And I did get laid last night. It was fun too.

He was the one that said the reason harleys were slower than sportbikes was because of the weight becuause it is considered a cruiser. That is the only reason I posted what I did. U think I am argumentative. what the are you suppose te be on a message board?. ON every post type +1 or something?
Technically your Wing is a Luxury Tourer. There really are only 3 other bikes in that segment and only one is a legitimate comparison - the BMW K1200LT. The other two in the segment are the FLHTCUI (Ultra Classic) and the Victory Vision, but as both of those are V-twins, comparing them is a little unfair.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #97
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Technically your Wing is a Luxury Tourer. There really are only 3 other bikes in that segment and only one is a legitimate comparison - the BMW K1200LT. The other two in the segment are the FLHTCUI (Ultra Classic) and the Victory Vision, but as both of those are V-twins, comparing them is a little unfair.

Why is it unfair? They could put a v-6 in their bikes too. I can't help if they are stuck in the ancient technology mode. The victory vision was sooo slow I almost fell asleep riding it I didn't fall asleep on the harley because they shaking kept me awake.

So my bike is a luxury tourer huh? Did not know that know wonder I like riding it so much I am in LUXURY hauling .

You know I have never ridden a bmw 1200lt. I think I might rent one next time I do hwy 1 in Cali.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #98
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

User is banned

Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #99
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
BEEP

You arent running an air cooled V-Twin either. Ive ridden OLDWINGS..yes they are fast!
I just want to say I resent the "old"wing comment. Man, I already feel old enough don't rub it in. My wife calls it that too makes me want to slap er upside the head. Again the watercooled motor has been invented why are they still using air cooled? I am surprised they use a round wheel instead of a square one. :keke Even my harley friends get tired of their bikes overheating in parades traffic etc.

Quote:
Hawgs are for low end torque and the sound.
Low end torgue are you kidding? My friends brother n law couldn't believe how much power he had on my wing in 5th gear compared to his ultra. He said he would have to downshift twice to get that much torque and pulling power. Btw soon as we got back from the trip I heard he is shopping for goldwings on the net. Another goldwing convert on the way.

Quote:
Cmon, HD has tons of money. If they wanted they could make some bad stuff.
But they don't and they won't as long as they keep selling 50 year old technology to people silly enough to pay top dollar for one just because IT IS a HARLEY and they make a cool noise when they idle.

Quote:
Wait, isnt that what BUELL is for?
don't even go there I whooped buell's on top end while I was riding sidesaddle on my chopper coming back from South Padre. He couldn't believe someone could go 140mph riding a chopper sidesaddle.

Last edited by gixxerbill; 04-30-2009 at 03:06 PM.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #100
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote: