MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #21
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
You have more guts than I. I wouldn't want that spikey airfilter cover pointing at me if I could help it, but pretty bike.
It's kinda below the tank. I think if I ate it it would only go in about a 1/2 of inch. I might live even.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sportbike vs cruisers/choppers ecclissiass General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-19-2012 09:08 PM
choppers Moose9 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-19-2011 04:21 PM
Japanese choppers ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 12-17-2010 12:10 AM
Cruisers- Choppers-Harleys Video StarC Cruisers Lounge 14 07-11-2005 06:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #22
Redux

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Heck, with that custom buy my Bourget Low Blow Chopper. I can drag the pipes on mine when turning and it will go about 140 mph. It has a got a 117 S&S, a jims fat 5 overdrive with two sneaky pete nitrous and alligator seat, p pad and backrest. I will sell it for the same price as that ugly green one. PM me if you are interested.
Once again, what makes it so special for the price? The frame looks whack at the rear wheel too.

While it could be a good bike, it's pretty much for show. One would not attempt commuting, track, or a long trip on one of those for an obvious reason.

Custom does not mean more money.
IE. I made my "custom" luggage for the VFR. And it was $60. And it also effectively stays the same price when people ask me to make them one.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
they're expensive because they're expensive. Its kinda like $140 jeans: if someone is dumb enough to spend the money, you shouldn't say no.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #24
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

5% function, 95% form........It's art.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #25
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Simple. Cause they can be.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #26
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Once again, what makes it so special for the price?
First it's a Bourget is one of the most functioning choppers made. I only have a 200 for the back tire which lets me have good lean angle in the twisties. I have passed sportbikes guy that were begginers in the twisties. It is almost all custom billet by bourget. It also runs the oil through the frame which give it the lowest seat height in game. Also when I roll into a parking lot every head will turn and girls will be coming over to look at it like a diamond ring or something. I don't think a yami will have that effect.

Quote:
The frame looks whack at the rear wheel too.

What are you talking about here?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #27
Redux

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
First it's a Bourget is one of the most functioning choppers made. I only have a 200 for the back tire which lets me have good lean angle in the twisties. I have passed sportbikes guy that were begginers in the twisties. It is almost all custom billet by bourget. It also runs the oil through the frame which give it the lowest seat height in game. Also when I roll into a parking lot every head will turn and girls will be coming over to look at it like a diamond ring or something. I don't think a yami will have that effect.

What are you talking about here?
Ok, so, it's mostly a show thing. Kinda like a Hummer, a diamond ring, expensive china, etc. It's expensive so people use it to show their abundance of money and lack of judgment.

I enjoy my bike for its function, not because people will look at it and say "Oh, that's ugly!"

The rear swingarm... looks like something you would find at a playground.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #28
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #29
houstonch73
Banned

User is banned

Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #30
houstonch73
Banned

User is banned

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #31
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Ok, so, it's mostly a show thing. Kinda like a Hummer, a diamond ring, expensive china, etc. It's expensive so people use it to show their abundance of money and lack of judgment.
Not an abundance of money. Just that is one off it doesn't look like every other bike you see going to down the street. It has character and it is fine work of art. If I want function, I will ride my goldwing. If I want to bling, I ride my chopper. And it is fun to ride lots of torque and just raw power and very freak'n loud. And as far as going down the freeway nothing feels better than doing it on a chopper. It is ultimate statement in freedom. Every seen Easy Rider?

Quote:
I enjoy my bike for its function, not because people will look at it and say "Oh, that's ugly!"
People tell you your bike is ugly? That sux bor. Must be hard on the ole ego.

Quote:
The rear swingarm... looks like something you would find at a playground.
Again, that is your opinion but I haven't been to a "playground" in quite a while so I have no idea if it does or not but it sound like you hang out there quite often.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #32
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
Gixxerbill - If I owned that bike I'd get tired of wiping off all the spooge off the tank when I park it somewhere. That's sweet!
thanks man, and you can own it. Lets talk.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #33
Redux

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Not an abundance of money. Just that is one off it doesn't look like every other bike you see going to down the street. It has character and it is fine work of art. If I want function, I will ride my goldwing. If I want to bling, I ride my chopper. And it is fun to ride lots of torque and just raw power and very freak'n loud. And as far as going down the freeway nothing feels better than doing it on a chopper. It is ultimate statement in freedom. Every seen Easy Rider?
Gotcha. Good we agree on something. This this is for show, for function pick another bike. But yeah, I am very much impressed by the weekend warriors every Sunday revving their engines - I live right by the Woodlands Harley dealership. I might think it's silly but if it makes them feel patriotic, better, cooler, more power to them.

Quote:
People tell you your bike is ugly? That sux bor. Must be hard on the ole ego.
Nah, it's my anti-theft device. My bike does exactly what I want it to do.
finalback

Quote:
Again, that is your opinion but I haven't been to a "playground" in quite a while so I have no idea if it does or not but it sound like you hang out there quite often.
Hey, gotta take the kids there sometime. IE. Your insult failed.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #34
Redux

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
well, you stated that it didnt look like it had a 110cubic inch motor.
Trust me it does. That is the Evo motor, and there is so much aftermarket for it its insane.

I know that there are some 145 cubic inch evo motors that you can buy prebuild that look almost stockish.
Oh huh. Thats interesting. What are the power numbers on it?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #35
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Not on the same scale as main stream bikes. Accessories yes,,,but frames n stuff no. Plus your paying for the labour of some guys slapping it together instead of a factory doing it.
Really? Even OCC uses carbon copy frames............made by someone else.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #36
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
OCC are custom "assemblers" (NOT BUILDERS) use frames that are bent and welded by hand. not a robot. it costs a of a lot more to pay a person to do it, than a robot. Go look at a REAL builder's shop and you'll see a much different type of operation than OCC. They'll build their own custom frames, tanks, fenders, etc. Big Dog, Bourget, Iron Horse, etc all the pre-made custom builders over charge and under-build. they all capitalized on the chopper craze, and now they're all losing their . Just ask gixxerbill how hard a time selling he's having trying to get rid of his chopper. You almost can't give them away! They go for 30-40% of what they were new, for a few reasons, 1. all the yuppies already had one, realized it wasn't practical to ride for any reasonable amount of miles, 2. the economy, few can afford "designer bikes" 3. the fad's over.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #37
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
OCC are custom "assemblers" (NOT BUILDERS) use frames that are bent and welded by hand. not a robot. it costs a of a lot more to pay a person to do it, than a robot. Go look at a REAL builder's shop and you'll see a much different type of operation than OCC. They'll build their own custom frames, tanks, fenders, etc. Big Dog, Bourget, Iron Horse, etc all the pre-made custom builders over charge and under-build. they all capitalized on the chopper craze, and now they're all losing their . Just ask gixxerbill how hard a time selling he's having trying to get rid of his chopper. You almost can't give them away! They go for 30-40% of what they were new, for a few reasons, 1. all the yuppies already had one, realized it wasn't practical to ride for any reasonable amount of miles, 2. the economy, few can afford "designer bikes" 3. the fad's over.
Yep, I agree with what he is saying. Bourget laid off more than 60% of it's workforce. They said the only thing keeping them alive is the HIGH end bikes that are more than $70,000
Old 04-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #38
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Gotcha. Good we agree on something. This this is for show, for function pick another bike. But yeah, I am very much impressed by the weekend warriors every Sunday revving their engines - I live right by the Woodlands Harley dealership. I might think it's silly but if it makes them feel patriotic, better, cooler, more power to them.

Nah, it's my anti-theft device. My bike does exactly what I want it to do.
finalback

Hey, gotta take the kids there sometime. IE. Your insult failed.
So what are you really trying to say, redux? That you are a real motorcyclist, high and holy above all others? Especially if all others includes successful people with enough expendable income to buy a chopper?
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #39
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

BTW, $25k is really not all that much for that particular bike in the OP.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #40
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

To add to the original question...

Why are Harleys, so expensive?

Not putting anybody's ride down, I'm just saying...
They are pretty low tech, with lower end suspension, old technology motor design.
They do not use alot of high zoot materials, like carbon fiber or magnesium.
They don't really need to handle extreme forces like those generated by hard cornering and big horsepower, so they don't need computer designed frames and swingarms.

I like Harleys and in fact owned one for 7 years. Great bike.
But, I still don't get why they cost so damned much.
Other than, "Because they do".
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement