MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #21
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
That's unfortunate. The G2X stuff works really well. BTW, to get a tach signal, you have to power the Athon from the motorcycle battery, regardless of what the vendor told you.
Curt,

My Athon's tach signal worked just fine this past weekend. It worked for 4 hours without any hiccups.

It was being powered by 2 AA Lithium Batteries. Worked fine.

For the big bike we'll getting either XT's new GPS data logger, or the G2x. It depends on the budget of the team.

I'll let you know how that goes. But the Athon does work fine with AA batteries.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommendations on GPS lap timer? ConcordEagle Taking it to the Track 15 06-09-2016 07:30 AM
cheap lap timer for katy track? paulie12 Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 1 10-02-2015 07:40 PM
Diablo Biker IPHONE Lap Timer App SGT USMC 0311 Taking it to the Track 4 08-11-2013 10:40 PM
GPS Lap Timer numpty Taking it to the Track 18 07-03-2012 03:29 PM
GPS data acquisition lap timer... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 62 10-23-2008 08:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #22
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Curt,

My Athon's tach signal worked just fine this past weekend. It worked for 4 hours without any hiccups.

For the big bike we'll getting either XT's new GPS data logger, or the G2x. It depends on the budget of the team.

I'll let you know how that goes. But the Athon does work fine with AA batteries.
So you grounded the Athon, then? Otherwise, I don't see how it could read the signal. Electrical engineer, btw.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #23
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996Pilot View Post
Curt, the problems I am having are these: (and thanks for your input. I really want these to work)

Digital Dash:
1. The gear indicator shows 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th 5ht and 6th show as 5th. It worked fine the 1st time I had it out, but sitting on my trailer on the ride home it somehow dropped all the gearing info and never worked again
2. It records the lap times, and tranfers the laptimes just fine, but the info regarding the laptimes (speed, gas/brake, mapping etc) is all wak and not readable <--sp

Lap timer:
1. first the blue tooth antena didn't work, then it worked, but the timmer didn't so it wouldn't record any times etc.

Both have been exchanged twice by Yoyodine and there's a new problem with each exchange.

As far as the iPhone goes, I am going to try it, but am concerned that it may not be too acccuarate. I've used the GPS to map my bycicle rides and they are far from accurate, stop reading signals and are only accurate to 500ft. That could be a hugge difference on locations on track. IMHO
I use RacePak's G2X, not the Athon equipment.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #24
Brian f.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
So you grounded the Athon, then? Otherwise, I don't see how it could read the signal. Electrical engineer, btw.
Beats me how it works w/o, but did just speak with my friend who also has one and his picked up the signal for tach with only external battery power also.

EDIT: Well, we know it worked "testing it" at the track before we went out but he says didnt pay attention to it at speed, so for all we know it didnt work in the upper rpm's. So, for what thats worth
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Quote:
Curt,

Just saw that thing for the first time today. Looked like a nice unit, was unsure about the interface
Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #26
996Pilot
Aerobatics Junkie

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):

Quote:
Update the firmware.

Or call Fred @ Yoyodyne. He'll help you update it. Once updated the Athon GPS-R works like a charm.

Ourz worked beautifully this past weekend in the rain @ Denton. Helped me shave of 2 seconds!

Man, I sure would like to see what you've done. I have updated the firmware and have been on the phone with Fred quite a few times. I bought the harness so that rules out that problem. I'm going to call Fred again tomorrow, but I'm glad to see that they do work for some people. It gives me hope.
996Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #27
996Pilot
Aerobatics Junkie

Bike(s):

Quote:
I use RacePak's G2X, not the Athon equipment.

Curt,

I've watched your data posts closely. (mostly cause I wished my stuff would work ) I wanted to thank you for trying to help.
996Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #28
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Just saw that thing for the first time today. Looked like a nice unit, was unsure about the interface
Like the Athon, the XT Racing GPX pro has a great form factor. What I have trouble with is the third rate software package for analyzing the data and the lack of expandability of other sensors that comes with MoTec, RacePak G2x as well as the RacePak sportsman. I just received my throttle position sensor and brake event for the G2x. These are so critically important, as is the ability to really examine the data. I'm using RacePak's math functions to smooth curves, graph total g's, and other things. The software packages for these other units seems to be an after thought. Heck G2X now has fully integrate video capability.

Assuming, Brian, that you were using the full functionality of the RacePak sportsman, imagine trying to do that with the Athon or XT on your drag car.

-Curt
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #29
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Quote:
Like the Athon, the XT Racing GPX pro has a great form factor. What I have trouble with is the third rate software package for analyzing the data and the lack of expandability of other sensors that comes with MoTec, RacePak G2x as well as the RacePak sportsman. I just received my throttle position sensor and brake event for the G2x. These are so critically important, as is the ability to really examine the data. I'm using RacePak's math functions to smooth curves, graph total g's, and other things. The software packages for these other units seems to be an after thought. Heck G2X now has fully integrate video capability.

Assuming, Brian, that you were using the full functionality of the RacePak sportsman, imagine trying to do that with the Athon or XT on your drag car.

-Curt

What is the sportsman? Must be something new since ive been out of the loop.

<-------------------Racecar has V-300.

Be looking forward to seeing the additional data with the new sensors
Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #30
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

G2X is a sweet unit. Curt, it the new software out yet?
-Gabe
LSTD / South Central Race Center / Pirelli / Racepak Supersprox / Raceworx / One Second Faster / Leo Vince / Motorcycles Unlimited / Ebc brakes/ Motul / Pipercross / Jones Powersports / Kawasaki Team Green / LP/ GoPro / Texas Speed and Performance / GP tech / Powerstands
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #31
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
What is the sportsman? Must be something new since ive been out of the loop.

<-------------------Racecar has V-300.

Be looking forward to seeing the additional data with the new sensors
The sportsman is one up from the g2x. From memory, I think it has a 25 sensor capacity and it can read at 1000 hz, so you can get good shock rate information. Many of the race car and drag car guys use the sportsman with a the trick dash racepak makes.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #32
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
G2X is a sweet unit. Curt, it the new software out yet?
-Gabe
Yes sir, it is. Right here... http://www.racepak.com/Downloads/dat...kII_v3.4.1.exe

integrated video now!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #33
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
The sportsman is one up from the g2x. From memory, I think it has a 25 sensor capacity and it can read at 1000 hz, so you can get good shock rate information. Many of the race car and drag car guys use the sportsman with a the trick dash racepak makes.
I take it back, the sportsman is the drag specific g2x equivalent. 100 hz sampling rate. Comes with rpm, drive shaft, 12 v event, and dual pole accelerometer. A lot cheaper than the v-300 at $699.00
Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #34
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Here is another. I haven't purchased track time yet, but I have purchased Harry's GPS Lap Timer and it is pretty cool.
hehe. i saw your name when i "bought" harry's GPS.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #35
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
hehe. i saw your name when i "bought" harry's GPS.

Your welcome.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #36
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

thats a cool program....it's funny how the g1 rips off of the 'apple' apps..but the g1's apps are free...and yes i know it's free on script kiddie hacked iphones
Old 05-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #37
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

im still jealous of iphones stickwars game
Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #38
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

lol @ script kiddie. guess everyone needs to modify the firmware image manually themselves and rewrite their own baseband otherwise they are a bunch of noobs.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #39
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

woah dont get it twisted...im just saying with the g1 you gotta root the phone manually it's not hard at all...its just linux...do i wish they had a easy program for my g1...yes...instead i get to jump through hoops
Old 05-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #40
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSurgeD View Post
woah dont get it twisted...im just saying with the g1 you gotta root the phone manually it's not hard at all...its just linux...do i wish they had a easy program for my g1...yes...instead i get to jump through hoops
i hear ya. iphone is really the same way. just the os prevents root access to the unix kernel. jailbreaking replaces certain files of the OS to break the block between the user and the kernel. after that, there are no limits.

From what I have read it seems hacking the G1 now is very similar to the process of unlocking the early iphones. There was alot of steps and different hacks you had to run to get everything working. After almost 2 years of refining though we now have a solution so easy grandma can jailbreak her iphone.

I think G1 will be there as well, it will just take time.

Advertisement