MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Exclamation BiPOLAR Went To Denton

Saturday was a highly anticipated return to Denton for the BiPOLARís. Not only is it my personal favorite track in Texas, (big tracks included) but it was to be our proving grounds for the new motor and suspension work we recently completed.

Round 1 in Katy was the start of our R&D for the new 65, and an entirely new team as well. Although Peter has many years in TMGP, it is John and Jerranís 1st go on a mini. All are excellent riders, and expert level racers, but miniís require a certain delicate touch, and fearlessly aggressive riding style that is unique to their size.

We rolled into Denton with a few new changes to the bike, and were all anxious to see how well they worked. We were 5 seconds off the pace in Katy, and were hoping to find that speed with some newly added rubber, engine mods, and suspension tweaks.

Peter has never been on a 65, so his approach was skeptical in finding his comfort level. With the addition of 7 more ccís just a few days prior, and a motor that wasnít completely broken in yet, Peter was 1st up in practice. It only took him a few laps to find his groove, and begin to feel at home on our new screamer. Pit in, make a few adjustments, and out goes John. You can instantly tell he likes the track, and the setup, as his lap times are getting lower with each lap.

Just as we are feeling competitive, Derek Wagnon shows up on a CR 2 million. ď!!!! Better get the roofing nails out and sprinkle some in his pit boys!Ē

About 15 minutes into the race, we had an unexpected guest rider appear in our pits. It seems Luke Conlinís team dropped their tranny, so we picked up our Derek killer. Peter found his mojo in his first stint, and Luke, although unfamiliar with our bike, made up a few laps that we were down. I always enjoyed watching the way he rides, and seeing how effortlessly he straightens out the track. Although the front was a bit softer than he would have liked, our killer motor helped even the loss. However it was not the forks that would be our Achilles, but rather the loss of the front brakes at the start of the 3rd hour. They were fading in the 2nd, but got much worse in the 3rd. It wasnít the slower lap times that was the sign, but rather the sound of grinding metal that was a tell-tale sign that we were in trouble. Of course my 2 crashes didnít help to pick up any time either. In fact, my head still hurts after slamming it on the deck in T-3.

I passed WAR racing so many times I lost count. Our motor was just too fast to put the BiPOlAR slap on QuePaso or anyone else for that matter.

All in all, we had a great day! I am very proud of the improvements we made as a team and with bike setup. We found a couple of areas that need change, and are confident with these new additions that round 3 will be our day. We finished the day 2 laps down on 5th, and 11 on 3rd. We found our 5 seconds, now we just need 2 more.

Our thanks are:

A big thanks to Wes at SportCycles Houston for building such a strong motor. The midrange is absolutely killer, and allows a choice of gears that the smaller 65 wouldnít.

Texas Track Days for the morale and financial support to be able to make these races.

Upland Automotive for the financial assistance

Motorcycles Unlimited, Patrick is not only my President, but that man has what I need! From street to dirt to track, he has you covered.

OíNeil cause now I need a new helmet

Cycle Gear

Cyrca

Toms Paint and Body

Mission- Mission- A Litigation Support Company

Motohouston.com

KWeaver for breaking down and giving us Luke

And most importantly, BiPOLAR Racingís biggest fan, Brena. You make our pit stops run smooth, keep us well informed on the track, and make our day at the track smooth and fun. Nothing says go faster than a prego lady wanting dinner! Lol
Thanks for all of your help baby!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote