MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
riding in the rain is not that bad. visibility is the main thing. aside from that, just remember that the street is not a racetrack, and a wet street is even less of a racetrack.
you can use a finger or your palm to squeegee water off of your visor. find a prominent seam in your left glove that you can quickly and easily wipe across your visor.
it's a temporary fix, but it can be a game changer.
another tip i have is that if the rain isnt too heavy and you want to clear your visor, turn your head slowly from side to side, letting the water get blown off of your visor. look ahead the whole time.

rain isnt that bad after the first several times.
, i loooove me some rain in the sun. when it's warm outside and the rain is cool it just doesnt get any better than that.
yep. i find this works very well to get most the rain of your visor.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ready for the rain? Rain suit jimrad Gear Talk 6 08-30-2011 10:39 AM
last nite Busa-Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-14-2011 08:21 PM
"Rain Rain Check" 8/16/09 Sunday Morning - *SHNF TRAILS* Dualsport/Motard/Dirtbike PimpDaub Events, Meets and Rides 33 08-17-2009 01:34 PM
Burger Nite bumblebee Events, Meets and Rides 9 04-29-2009 10:14 AM
gurls nite out!!! Mrs. Gonzo Off Topic 18 09-05-2006 08:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #22
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
we had blizzard?
ok, a houston style blizzard
craigntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #23
epofhouston

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Fz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
Unless she was trashed then please disregard above statement.
She was trashed and she didn't drive anyway. They had been drinking since happy hour.
epofhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
jhonathan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 zx6r hyo gt250r sm125 (sold)

Member Garage

wow
jhonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #25
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Riding in the rain can be fun. Frog Togs are the ultimate because they roll up small and keep you dry.. thanks RacerX

You just have to pay more attention to your lane placement, especially at stops and intersections... don't roll in the middle where all the cage droppings are.

Try and keep the bike more upright, but you'll be surprised at how much traction you have except in standing water. Smooth is the key, don't make abrupt downshifts or control inputs.

It's also a great time to practice drifting and sliding the rear....
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #26
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

yeah, my bikes in the shop but i was glad i didn't ride yesterday, could have ended badly. Drove the beltway, shut down due to flooding. So took gessner thinking maybe I could get around it. 50 feet from the flooding where I was going to have to turn around I drove the GTI's front and rear left tire through and open manhole. OUCH. Busted the front tire, thank the rear was ok. It was visible, but I wasn't paying full attention going only 5-10 mph and it was partially covered by the water so hard to see. Spent till 3pm getting new tire, front end alignmnet, etc. Geez. What a day. While I was waiting I did my bit for others (as other cars where getting stuck in it!) and moved the manhole cover back on so nobody else had the issue. Talked to a biker and warned them to be careful.

Had that been my bike at that speed... it would have been a literal faceplant, even with full gear I probably would have broke something (on me) besides totaling the bike. was watching out for me that morning!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #27
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Skeered of rain = wuss (or inexperienced).
I only take the truck if I have to haul something bigger than my backpack can carry. Still I don't go above 80mph so I guess that makes me a wuss to (more worried about the 5-o's than crashing though).
Peace.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #28
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Riding in the rain can be fun. Frog Togs are the ultimate because they roll up small and keep you dry.. thanks RacerX

You just have to pay more attention to your lane placement, especially at stops and intersections... don't roll in the middle where all the cage droppings are.

Try and keep the bike more upright, but you'll be surprised at how much traction you have except in standing water. Smooth is the key, don't make abrupt downshifts or control inputs.

Motards are great for rain :-) I've ridden in rain most of the time but that monday night, geez. I don't know if I could have stood that, water was crazy hard and 5-10 mph road speed average with REALLY high water in some parts. I don't know if the ex500 is high enough to deal with that.

On a different note... how deep can you go? How do you gauge it on the car or the bike.... do you take a good bit of speed and rush through it, slowly, give me some info on where it becomes engine damaging for the bike and a low to the ground car like a VW GTI. (in non rushing water, just standing water)
Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:

btw, i have those but I don't end up using them unless on the morning ride there to work... i'd rather get home wet than wear those, espcially summer rains... they cook you alive and look terrible. I'd rather be wet than sweat.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #30
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

As long as it isn't deep enough to reach the air intake you should be fine. Wheel bearings are sealed enough. Make sure you hose down the chain with WD40 and then lube when you get home, altho o-ring chains do a good job at keeping the water out. As soon as you get out of the puddle, squeeze the brakes a bit to clear the water out so you don't get a surprise when you need them.

On my bike much over the pegs is iffy, in my lifted truck with 33's I start worrying about 3 feet deep or so...

Don't haul into deep water, steady and smooth is all you need.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #31
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
As long as it isn't deep enough to reach the air intake you should be fine. Wheel bearings are sealed enough. Make sure you hose down the chain with WD40 and then lube when you get home, altho o-ring chains do a good job at keeping the water out. As soon as you get out of the puddle, squeeze the brakes a bit to clear the water out so you don't get a surprise when you need them.

On my bike much over the pegs is iffy, in my lifted truck with 33's I start worrying about 3 feet deep or so...

Don't haul into deep water, steady and smooth is all you need.
newb question.... where is the air intake on the ex500 then?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #32
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
newb question.... where is the air intake on the ex500 then?
I imagine under the seat/tank like a 250, but since I don't have one I am not sure.

Most bikes are high, near the bottom of the tank level.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #33
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
I imagine under the seat/tank like a 250, but since I don't have one I am not sure.

Most bikes are high, near the bottom of the tank level.
ok, i know the airbox was under the seat are on the 250, but I didn't know if that was the only air intake. I think the ex500's is very close the battery right up near under the gas tank.... so that means technically the engine would run if you were going through water that was 1-2 feet high as long as it didn't get in the exaust pipe or airbox... that's what you have to look for?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #34
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Won't hurt to get in the exhaust, as long as you keep the rpm up some...

Advertisement